To whom can I complain?

Hello,

I am sick of how Christians are treated. Christian hating is the only ‘acceptable’ form of hate in today’s world. Lady gaga wrote a song about Judas, and while in an electronics store today I saw a music video that made my blood boil. Some female singer was in a desert. She was on a cross crucified. A man came up to her and she turned into an angel and started hovering above him. How can the music industry allow this? If it were a mockery of any other religion, some whatever-rights group would sue. To whom can I complain? If it’s ok for Jews to openly practice Judaism without attack, why can’t Christians? This is why I don’t go to deviantart anymore.
Are there any Christian-rights groups who I could bring this to?

[quote="Questionsplease, post:1, topic:274395"]
Hello,

I am sick of how Christians are treated. Christian hating is the only ‘acceptable’ form of hate in today’s world. Lady gaga wrote a song about Judas, and while in an electronics store today I saw a music video that made my blood boil. Some female singer was in a desert. She was on a cross crucified. A man came up to her and she turned into an angel and started hovering above him. How can the music industry allow this? If it were a mockery of any other religion, some whatever-rights group would sue. To whom can I complain? If it’s ok for Jews to openly practice Judaism without attack, why can’t Christians? This is why I don’t go to deviantart anymore.
Are there any Christian-rights groups who I could bring this to?

[/quote]

The response is to be more Christ like. One can show how untrue all the representations of Christianity, and one can bring people closer to God that way.

moralityinmedia.org/

[quote="Tenofovir, post:2, topic:274395"]
The response is to be more Christ like. One can show how untrue all the representations of Christianity, and one can bring people closer to God that way.

[/quote]

I second Tenofovir's advice, but there's no reason you can't do both.

catholicleague.org/

You can complain to us, which probably won't make a difference. However, if you are going to try and make an official complaint about something, you will want to break it down to a specific instance, document it well, and then bring it to the attention of the people responsible. Or you could start a Facebook page. There's always that.

Jesus said, "Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also." John 15:20

Jesus also said: "But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you," Matthew 5:44

I think it’s because to them Christianity’s the only choice since if they mock Islam, they’ll get killed by extremists (like what happened to the Dutch guy who drew Muhammad) and if they mock Judaism, since Jewish people are race too, and because of the whole holocaust thing, they’ll get labeled as Anti-Semitic and thus racist.

You could complain to Jesus, but I think his response might go something like this-

"If the world hate you, know ye, that it hath hated me before you."
St. John 15:18

:)

The Catholic League hasn’t said a word about the blatantly anti-Catholic Weekend Update bit on SNL from 2/18. Sad. :frowning:

The First Amendment pretty much permits people to say/write/sing whatever they want. No one can sue someone for offending a religious group with a song/tv show/etc. They can protest, boycott, or whatever, but not sue.

One reason it is so much more popular to offend Christians, is because Christians are the religious majority in the USA. Another reason is that Christians are not likely to retaliate with violence. If you offend Islam publicly, you will likely be targeted by some extremist. Ask the creators of South Park or Salman Rushdie.

On a side note, although I can’t stand Lady Gaga, the song “Judas” isn’t actually about Judas. It’s very clearly about a woman being in love with a man who betrays her (thus the metaphor of Judas).

The Catholic League exists for just such a purpose.

It sounds like Bill Donahue may be your new best friend. :slight_smile:

I agree with the "be more Christ-like." You can't fix the world, but you have to work on your own corner.

What's your beef with Deviant Art, by the way? I love that site and have some art up myself. Just curious. :)

I suggest writing a kind and reasonable letter to the offending artist directly.

After first praising their talent, beauty, philanthrophy, or whatever you can find to praise, tell them, without name-calling or any kind of rudeness, that you find something they are doing hurtful, and tell them why.

ALWAYS close your letter by telling them that you are praying for them regularly.

There’s a good chance that your letter will end up in a slush-pile and get read by some intern who will mail you a form letter explaining how you can buy a product with the artist’s picture and autograph.

But there’s also a possibility that the artist WILL see your letter, and you just never know where they are in their spiritual life.

We have to remember that these people are real people, and they are in a very rough place. Those of us who have nothing to do with the entertainment and arts fields tend to glamorize these people and their lifestyles.

But many of them are walking wounded, spiritually very ill, and often sad, depressed, and lonely.

Perhaps your kind letter will touch them and they will turn to God.

I KNOW that they will appreciate your prayers. Many people in the arts are superstitious and always trying to develop their spirituality. They like it when someone is praying for them.

My daughter is a professional stage manager. A few years ago, she was working with a Broadway director who has been involved with shows that every one of you would recognize. It turns out that this man was very touched when he learned that she was praying for him and all the actors in the show.

And just this week, she said that her director was quizzing her about her conversion to Catholicism and her opinion of the HHS directive. She answered him by saying, “That’s a very long discussion that we should have over coffee sometime, but not here at work.”

And he appreciated her answer, because it wasn’t rude, and she didn’t try to prosletyze him. I’m sure they’ll have that coffee eventually.

My point is that these people appreciate a kind word just like anyone else. Give it a try.

Each one of us can make a difference. If we are the salt of the earth and say nothing, and lose our savor, the salt will be thrown out and trampled underfoot. Our voice matters but it should be patterned after the loving example of Jesus Christ. Truth in Love as Pope Benedict wrote.

However, The OP should be aware that our voices are being drowned out by words and images that are against the things God wants men to do. I invite everyone to read the following:

thomasmore.org/

Peace,
Ed

I think using Jews as a comparative example is somewhat specious:
adl.org/Anti_semitism/anti-semitism_global_incidents_2011.asp
adl.org/Anti_semitism/anti-semitism_global_incidents_2010.asp
unless what you meant to say is that things are as bad today for Christians as they are for Jews:shrug:

[quote="SurlyMermaid, post:12, topic:274395"]
I agree with the "be more Christ-like." You can't fix the world, but you have to work on your own corner.

What's your beef with Deviant Art, by the way? I love that site and have some art up myself. Just curious. :)

[/quote]

Hello,

My problem with Da is that I see this Christian hate everywhere. One users signature said “Gays are unnatural, but talking snakes are?” or these pictures of Jesus making obscene gestures with his fingers, under his portrait it says “—you. I’m not coming back.” I’ve seen a stamp that says “—doesn’t love me.” It just really bothers me that people can get away with this and that no one, aside from fellow Christians, seems to really care. I wish there was a hate filter on Da. There’s also all the obscene words that seem to pop up on stamps… why can’t people use the mature filter?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.