To whom should we give religous assent?

Should this consideration only be given to the Pope and doctrines or should it also be given to bishops and other religious?

Let’s start with the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
“Divine assistance is also given to the successors of the apostles, teaching in communion with the successor of Peter, and, in a particular way, to the bishop of Rome, pastor of the whole Church, when, without arriving at an infallible definition and without pronouncing in a ‘definitive manner,’ they propose in the exercise of the ordinary Magisterium a teaching that leads to better understanding of Revelation in matters of faith and morals. To this ordinary teaching the faithful ‘are to adhere to it with religious assent’ which, though distinct from the assent of faith, is nonetheless an extension of it.”

Does anybody have any clue as to what is meant by assent of faith, and what is meant by religious assent?

What’s the difference?

[quote=Lazerlike42]Does anybody have any clue as to what is meant by assent of faith, and what is meant by religious assent?

What’s the difference?
[/quote]

These two may be of some limited help?:

ewtn.com/library/Theology/SUMMARY.HTM

ewtn.com/vexperts/showresult.asp?RecNum=374982&Forums=0&Experts=0&Days=2003&Author=&Keyword=ordinary+magisterium&pgnu=1&groupnum=0&record_bookmark=6&ORDER_BY_TXT=ORDER+BY+ReplyDate+DESC&start_at=

I’m still confused by the question. Could the OP re-phrase it please?

[quote=thistle]I’m still confused by the question. Could the OP re-phrase it please?
[/quote]

The original question is really old, and probably not one that’s going to be discussed. I just saw it was a good place to ask my question.

Wow, that is a really old post. It seems from the quote given in post two that religious assent refers to people accepting those things which the Church promotes without infallibility, while assent of faith refers to our obligation to accept those things that have been defined infallibly.

Basically, people get obsessed about whether a particular point of faith has been declared infallibly or not. Our response should be that whether or not it has been infallibly defined, we should “adhere to it with religious assent.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.