Toaism

I just started studying the Tao Te Ching and all I can say is wow, this book is truly bringing about a revolution in my spirituality. I don’t say this to knock Christianity at all, you see I tried reading this same Tao Te Ching book many years ago before I was a Christian and although I sensed its great profundity I truly wasn’t able to apply it to my daily life. I feel like now, thanks in large part to Jesus I have a much more spiritual background and am now able to understand this revelutionary book.

How does Tao Te Ching save your soul? Jesus’ 2 commandments should be sufficient. Love God, love your neighbor. Everything else for proper living, proper conduct stems from these 2 commands.

The Tao Te Ching can lead you to a godless life. What is exotic and mysterious may not necessary be good. It is inward looking, self, nothingness. It does not lead you to God. It can lead you AWAY from God. Someone claim Tao is integral truth. Jesus claim he is the Truth, the Way and the Light and he promises you eternal life. What does the Tao Te Ching promises you? Nothingness?

Of course there are good teachings in the Tao Te Ching, but it doesn’t lead you to God. You do good works not because you read a book. You do good works because God works within you.

Would you be able to say a bit more about how the Tao Te Ching has helped you grow in your relationship with Christ? I have Taoist relatives, and would be interested in your experiences in where the two can meet :slight_smile:

I agree and that is why no matters what books I read or what ideas I am exposed to, I try never to lose sight of Jesus Christ because you are correct, books like the Tao Te Ching can lead one into nothingness, which can be very enlightening, but if it is without love is it really anything worthwhile? Jesus Christ on the other hand is love. You cannot follow Jesus Christ without following love.

It has helped me in my understanding of virtue. It has helped me to resist life less and this in turn lead to less resistance to the work God was trying to do in me. It has helped me to give up the pursuit worldly objects and be content with what I have. Thats about all I can say, but I also will say that I usually attend daily mass and my experiences at mass have been much deeper since reading the Tao Te Ching.

Thanks for your reply. I think that sometimes, learning about things from another tradition can help give us a new perspective on our own. Every blessing on your journey! :slight_smile:

I believe the thread title should read Taoism not Toaism.

It should. I think it was just a typo.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.