TOB - a description or a moral imperative?

I love the Theology of the Body brought to us by our late pope. I completely agree that the descriptions of masculinity and feminity it presents to us are firmly grounded in truth.

I’m concerned, however, because more and more I hear Catholics asserting that, “according to the TOB, women are …(insert trait here.) That’s God’s will for women.”

There’s an implication that if one is not like “x”, then one is probably departing from God’s will, and possibly in sin, since only some personal fault or spiritual disorder could account for that.

I happen to be an out-lyer on the bell curve of many typical female traits. I am told that according to the TOB, I ought not care what a suitor looks like, ought to prefer older men, ought to be attracted to financially successful men. Not being typical is no longer simply a quirk; now many treat it as a moral disorder.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Are those of us who are atypical for out gender going against God’s will?

Can you be more specific on the traits you’re talking about?

[quote="mistfall, post:1, topic:192107"]
I love the Theology of the Body brought to us by our late pope. I completely agree that the descriptions of masculinity and feminity it presents to us are firmly grounded in truth.

I'm concerned, however, because more and more I hear Catholics asserting that, "according to the TOB, women are ...(insert trait here.) That's God's will for women."

There's an implication that if one is not like "x", then one is probably departing from God's will, and possibly in sin, since only some personal fault or spiritual disorder could account for that.

I happen to be an out-lyer on the bell curve of many typical female traits. I am told that according to the TOB, I ought not care what a suitor looks like, ought to prefer older men, ought to be attracted to financially successful men. Not being typical is no longer simply a quirk; now many treat it as a moral disorder.

Are those of us who are atypical for out gender going against God's will?

[/quote]

Does Theology of the Body actually say you shouldn't care about looks, prefer older men, and be attracted to financially successful men?

I haven't read it, but it doesn't sound particularly Catholic (especially the older men and the financially successful men bit).

I also wouldn't call yourself an outlier for caring about a man's looks. There is a reason why nearly every successful male actor is very masculine and very hot. The vast majority of women do indeed care about looks.

[quote="Em_in_FL, post:2, topic:192107"]
Can you be more specific on the traits you're talking about?

[/quote]

Traits like : women are less visual, women are more drawn to signs of power and dominance, women are more talkative, women are more about feelings than logic

I'm concerned, however, because more and more I hear Catholics asserting that, "according to the TOB, women are ...(insert trait here.) That's God's will for women."

There's an implication that if one is not like "x", then one is probably departing from God's will, and possibly in sin, since only some personal fault or spiritual disorder could account for that.

[/quote]

No, I haven't noticed anyone using TOB in that way. ???? Either you misunderstand what you read from others or they misinterpret TOB.

I think it's better to go to the original source for information. Here's a great document "On the Dignity of Women" from Pope John Paul II vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_15081988_mulieris-dignitatem_en.html

[/quote]

As a student of Theology of the Body, I have no clue what you are referring to.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.