Toby Keith

Anybody else like his music?

Never heard of him/her. :shrug: But surely someone has.:wink:

Yes I love his music. He has great songs.

Sometimes, depending on the song.

“I Love This Bar” brings back fond memories of 1968-69 in Cornwall on Hudson, NY.

While I applaud the sentiment behind “American Soldier”, the song itself is a one-time listen for me.

I much prefer the Bellamy Brothers. “Old Hippie”, “Old Hippie (the Sequel)”, and especially “Old Hippie III (Saved)”. And you shouldn’t miss “Guardian Angel” with Willie Nelson and a wicked comment on the post-1946 generation (mine:shrug:), “Kids of the Baby Boom”

:smiley:

Kathy

I enjoy his music - he’s a fun artist, although he does not always project good morals (i.e, ‘I’m not talkin’ about locking down forever, Baby, that would be too demanding . . . "

Reminds me of the time we took my then 4 y/o grand daughter to church. We were going to sing a few songs before the service and when the congregation was asked if they’d like to sing some favorites, she piped up and started singing " I Love This Bar"…I wanted to die.

Kathy

lol, that would of been me if I liked country when I was little.

I love Toby Keiths songs, my favorites are,

I Love This Bar(especially the music video)
Get Cha Some
Beer For My Horses
Get Drunk and Be Somebody
Stays In Mexico
I Wanna Talk About Me(i love the video)

I think it is kind of obvious that I like drinking songs.

Best Toby Keith song ever — Shoulda Been A Cowboy

I understand the mixed message thing. His liner notes always thank and praise God, and then some of the songs are less than you might expect.

Like on Honky Tonk University, there’s “As Good as I once was” where he talks about going home with twins. or “You ain’ leavin, (Thank God Are Ya)”

The LIVE version :smiley:

Kathy

GREAT country singer.

GREAT entertainer! :thumbsup:

I like him song by song. Depending on the song - but the mixed message thing is also prevalent with many country singers. Guess one needs to dissect them song by song and not by artist. Thats my take. Today they are praising God, tomorrow they will sing of cheating .

That is why country music has a song about everything, praising God, love, drinking, cheating, being a victim of cheating, family life, shopping, dancing, nature, dogs, cowboy related(if you listen to chris ledoux), working and probably a thousand other things that happen in life.

Thank you all for your comments! Regarding the message of some of his songs, I guess my suggestion would be to listen to only those songs that appeal to you and send a good moral message.

About the best defense of country music came from Jeff Foxworthy recently. Snippet:

*We sing about God because we believe in Him. We are not trying to offend anybody, but the evidence that we have seen of Him in our small little lives trumps your opinion about whether or not He exists. … You can call us rednecks if you want. We’re not offended, 'cause we know what we’re all about. We get up and go to work, we get up and go to church, and we get up and go to war when necessary. *

Source

I love that qoute I saw him say it on the last reward show :smiley: .

Nope…can’t stand it…

Oh boy, haha, I thought everybody liked Toby Keith!!!

They don’t know any better is all.:smiley:
Kathy

Oh, I know plenty who are better!!!:smiley: :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.