Today I'm altar serving for the first time and I had a question!

Last week I observed at the TLM and this week they want to move me onto the altar and see how everything works. I am nervous because I have NO idea when to sit or stand or kneel and I was hoping someone on here could tell me. I am sitting on the side not in front of the altar yet, so do I just follow the missal and do what the people do?

Personally I don’t believe you because your story doesn’t add up. Being an altar-boy for a TLM is rather complicated and it would make no sense to just ask a random person in the pews to fill in without warning.

But you can start here: sanctamissa.org/en/serving/

The key to your post seems to be…

I am sitting on the side not in front of the altar yet, so do I just follow the missal and do what the people do?

In which case you would follow the missal, and observe what the trained servers are doing. You would sit stand and kneel at the same places as those outside the altar rail.

This is the best advise. Also make sure the other servers know that you are new, and a little lost. They will try to help if they can.

Peace
James

He isn’t filling in, let alone without warning. He is attending in choir, to observe the actions of servers.

Anyway, Filioque’s advice is sound, as is sanctamissa as a resource.

Ah! that’s different. In other words, he’s being groomed for service. Well God’s blessings on you, Sts John Vianney & John Berchmans pray for you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.