Today on The View

Hi, I just felt I should point out that today on the View, Elisabeth Hasselbeck and Joy made some pretty offensive comments about the Catholic Church which I feel were way over the line. I was surprised and disappointed in Elisabeth. She talked about being raised Catholic but left after realizing the “hypocrasy” They were discussing confession which is something so sacred and they were talking about how ridiculous it seemed to confess to a priest. They made some really offensive remarks which I feel they need to apologize for. I plan on letting ABC know how I felt about this.

I didn’t see it but maybe we should write to Elizabeth Hasselback and Joy Behar and explain to them why they are in error and why they shouldn’t propogate their harmful, misleading views.

We should also request that in the interest of equal airtime, ABC bring a priest on the View (how about Fr. Corapi:D) and discuss the teachings of the Catholic Church with them.

Can you imagine if they had said that about any other religion?

But maybe we should boycott all their advertisers. Of course, Catholics don’t tend to stick together as a group so it probably wouldn’t work.

Complain to the advertisers. The less ads a show has, the quicker it gets cancelled.

Why are you wasting a perfectly good hour of your life on “The View”? Their negative comments on Catholisim vs. postive ones are at least 100 to one. :confused:

I don’t usually watch the View but today I was channel surfing and came across it when they were talking about Spencer on last night’s “I’m a Celebrity” show getting baptized. I found it offensive when Elizabeth seemed to think the baptism was okay. I felt that it was a mockery. I did listen to some of the comments Elizabeth and Joy made about the Church and felt that both of them were way out of line. They may disagree with something but they don’t have to tell the entire country about it. I didn’t listen to the entire program since I had heard enough to know that I was wasting electricity.

Boycott the advertisers, then kill your TV. It’s a tool of the devil, and ABC is his favorite network.

We need to all write Sean Hannity as well. He fawns all over her ever time she is on his show, commenting what a strong Christian she is. I’ve heard her laugh at anti-Catholic remarks before made by Whoopi or Joy, but this is the worst.

Although Sean seems to fall into the “cafeteria Catholic” category, I pray he has the guts to call her on this, but I doubt it.

I knew she was raised Catholic…how sad she doesn’t realize that she has turned her back on the one, true Church, but instead has fallen for the “all that matters is Jesus and me” mentality. Someone should send her Karl’s book, or “Surprised by Truth”.

As Archbishop Fulton Sheen said - I paraphrase - if you want to find the true Church, don’t look for the one that everybody praises - look for the one being persecuted.
How true. It’s open season on Catholics. Keep the faith.

These are the kind of Catholics who take a little knowledge about their faith, and don’t have any substantial root take place. They use the excuse “oh the hypocrisy” without seeing the treasure underneath, the earthly struggles, weeds surrounding the truth of the Church at its core and still intact.

I wouldn’t condemn too much, because **they just don’t know what they’re talking about **and we have had family members, who might have the same misunderstandings, (though not foolish enough to speak out of their depth like these t.v. people).

I’ve not been impressed with Elizabeth Hasselbeck,
but this obviously makes me sign off on her credibility if she knows so little about her faith, in such remarks…

This should be emphasized, when raising kids inthe faith, to fight “cafeteria Catholicism”

From Alexander Pope…

• "A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring;

There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again."*

They obviously need to be corrected why they are wrong in their egos.

Sean Hannity is another Catholic I discovered didn’t do his research when he decided to go toe to toe with Fr. Euteneur with a poorly argued position quoting scripture… "Judge not lest ye be judged " to defend his view on birth control. It was pretty uh …embarrassing for him.

[quote=Elzee]I knew she was raised Catholic…how sad she doesn’t realize that she has turned her back on the one, true Church, but instead has fallen for the “all that matters is Jesus and me” mentality. Someone should send her Karl’s book, or “Surprised by Truth”

As Archbishop Fulton Sheen said - I paraphrase - if you want to find the true Church, don’t look for the one that everybody praises - look for the one being persecuted.
How true. It’s open season on Catholics. Keep the faith.
[/quote]

Yes,

Also i pray for these people to be humbled, because Jesus means BUSINESS…when he says this

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, 10 but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.

Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name? Did we not drive out demons in your name? Did we not do mighty deeds in your name?'
Then I will declare to them solemnly, ‘I never knew you. 11 Depart from me, you evildoers.’ :eek:

It also scares me too because we’re not all exempt to this possible reaction from Jesus should we fail to keep up his will…

How will they feel when they, raised Catholics, unlike the protestants who just don’t know nowadays, will confront Jesus, and he’ll be asking them “why did you turn your back on my Church, on Peter?”

:blush:

"Uh…well I was…there was this church scandal…and the newsman, and Bill Maher said you guys were bad…hypocrites if you will… so I err…uhh… :shrug:

Ditto! I can’t stand that show.

Par for the course. It’s the last acceptable prejudice.

Incidentally, more often than not, ex-Catholics like Behar and Hasselback are typically the most venemous and vile.

If these idiots have a hate-on for the Catholic Church they are simply fulfilling Christ’s own prophecy.

Boycott them.And their sponsors and let the sponsors know why.

The Catholic League commented on this:

catholicleague.org/chatterbox.php?#251

Thursday June 4, 2009
Chatterbox…

June 3, 2009

“THE VIEW’S” CATHOLIC OBSESSION

They did it again today. The gals at the ABC-TV show, “The View,” went off in a rambling, barely coherent discussion of Catholicism.

Always led by Barbara Walters (does she secretly pine to be Catholic?), Joy Behar told us what Confession used to mean to her back in the days when she was “brainwashed.” Unfortunately, her unwashed brain now shows all the signs of corrosion.

Then there is Elisabeth Hasselbeck, the ex-Catholic whose preoccupation with all matters Catholic suggests she is still not at home with her Evangelical status. She told us today that she used to say things in Confession just to “entertain” the priests. Just think how far she’s come—now she entertains unemployed women with her remarkable insights.

What’s Sean said that makes you think of him as a cafeteria Catholic? I’m not defending him, by the way, I’m just curious. I’ve watched his show now and then but personally I think he toes the party line pretty much exclusively.

I’ve never been impressed with her, and yes, Sean Hannity has her on his radio & television shows regularly. I change the channel when she is on. She certainly does not represent me as a conservative or a christian. Yeah, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for Sean to call her out either. I don’t watch The View for many reasons, the main one being that listening to the sound of Joy Behar’s voice is like nails scratched against a chalkboard:eek:. UGH!

I really think people who are that antagonistic toward the Church are simply trying to justify their own actions and beliefs against something they know is actually True. It’s like rebelling against your parents when they are in the right, but then trying to get your friends/siblings to sympathize with your side of the story. Same can be said for those people who greedily choose to have one or two children and then they ridicule a family with more than four children. They feel guilty.

As for me, I don’t bother giving such a show as *The View *ratings. We don’t even own a TV because there is so much hogwash and, honestly, even diabolocal shows on it.

As other posters commented, though, the best response is to write a complaint to the advertisers and network.

Sean very vocally opposes the Church’s teaching on contraception. There was quite a dust-up last year over this.

So what if they persecute us. You know, Jesus had it so right when he told us in the Gospel that the world will hate you because it hated me first. So I look at it like this, if the world hates us, we must be doing something right!!:thumbsup:

I take comfort in this, but at the same time, I take sorrow in all the souls who are being led away by their scandalous commentary.

The show is so bad, sometimes I will watch in atonement for my sins :stuck_out_tongue:

Elizabeth Hasselback is very hard to watch. I think the producers of the VIEW like her to be the conservative viewpoint–because it puts conservatives in a bad light. They wouldn’t dare put on a calm, articulate & intelligent woman to represent conservatives.

I doubt if writing in protest to the TV station or their advertisers will make anyu difference. Bashing and attacking Catholics and The Church seem to be the in thing right now!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.