Today was the Solemnity of Corpus Christi: did your parish do the Sequence?

Not here. Haven’t heard it in decades, actually. :frowning:

Maybe I can find in on YouTube. :rolleyes:

And it goes without saying that there was no Eucharistic procession, either. Not even incense (which is required on a solemnity like Corpus Christi.)

Although the sequence was in the Missal, the priest didn’t do it. :frowning: There was no incense or anything.

My old Church did the Eucharistic Procession yesterday after the 5pm Vigil Mass. I saw in their bulletin (I go there for daily Mass).

No, and I was a little disappointed. I did read it in the Missallette. Some of the prayers are in my little Catholic prayer books and I really like them.

I think…I may be wrong…but I think our new organist/music director isn’t quite up on a lot of the options for liturgical music yet. That’s understandable. He looks under 40, and I’m not even sure if he’s Catholic. (It’s not like organists are easy to come by in this city!). Hopefully he’ll learn lots this first year.

Sequence in my parish! :thumbsup: But “boo” to OCP (big surprize). The sequence wasn’t printed in the missalettes so most of the parish was confused. Fortunately, I had my Magnificat with me so I was able to read along.:thumbsup:

No incense though.

There is a big procession starting from the co-cathedral this afternoon. For several years now there seems to be a move to have the procession be diocisan rather than parish-by-parish. I am hoping its on the news tonight.

No ~ though we did not do it for Pentecost either so I would not expect the parish to do it for Corpus Christi. Are we afraid of adding length to the Mass? Are we afraid that people may say ~ this is going “backwards?” What are we afraid of? It is part of today’s liturgy…so why are the vast majority of parishes omitting it? Does anyone have an answer?

I feel really dumb, but…what’s the Sequence?
:confused:

My parish had the Eucharistic procession, the sequence as well as incense. It was at the Vigil Mass, which is the more traditional Mass at my parish anyway. My Mom just got in from the 11:30 am Mass and there wasn’t anything.

It’s a beautiful poem that is read or sung just before the Gospel on the Feast of Corpus Christi. It is optional but I don’t see why a pastor would want to omit it.

Here’s a neat site I found that has the text and you can also listen to it sung. :thumbsup:

cantemusdomino.net/2005/05/25/lauda-sion-salvatorem/

No sequence…incense or procession…It was in the Misselette. :frowning: I was looking forward to it because I had meditated on it during the week…It is *so *beautiful.

" Bring Him all the praise you know ,He is more than you bestow …never can you reach His due…"

Thank you! I wish we had done that :frowning: My pastor sometimes does the Agnus Dei in Latin if the organist is on vacation. I think he would like to be more traditional in some areas but he feels that the parish wouldn’t like it. Maybe. He does a great job with the Novus Ordo though.

No sequence, no procession, no incense, no appropriate hymns, and even a really disappointing homily. :frowning: This all at the cathederal parish.

Pax,

We didn’t do the sequence, but there was tons of incense, and the priest’s homily was a zinger–all about abusing the Mass and lack of reverence and gum-chewing and all the good stuff that people talk about here on CAF! He berated people who leave early, right after Holy Communion–there weren’t very many people who ran out the door early this week! You could see the flames shooting out of his mouth–a real squirmer for anyone who is a nominal Catholic! And this is the priest who SINGS like an angel, so people who sing in Mass sang heartily this week. It was beautiful.

Unfortunately, he’s being moved to a new parish in July. :frowning: But I’m sure that whoever we get will be really good–we have yet to see a dud at this parish!

There were several Eucharistic processions in our city, including the one at the Cathedral, and also one at the Italian parish, complete with a carpet of flowers (not sure what that tradition is called). I think the only reason our parish doesn’t do one is the packed Mass schedule on weekends–Mass follows Mass and there’s little wiggle room for extras. Too bad, but at least there were other processions in our city for those who were interested.

Sequence | Check (if abbreviated)
Procession | Check
Incense | Check (during procession and Benediction following)

:thumbsup:
tee

PS.
Today is the *translated *Solemnity of Corpus Christi.

We had the sequence which was chanted in latin and the incense, but not the procession. It was really beatiful though.:slight_smile:

Benediction to 4 Altars and back in to the Church. I was surprised by how many young adults processed. This afternoon is a biggie here:

Corpus Christi Buffalo

No, they didn’t and they didn’t to the incense either.

We had the sequence. :smiley: Unfortunately, we didn’t sing it.

No sequence, but as an explanation (not an excuse) the parish does not have/use missalettes. Instead, the readings for the following week are printed on separate sheets and available in the vestibule. That being said, they could have included the sequence. It did take me awhile to get used to picking up ‘next week’s’ readings and making sure to carry a big enough purse so that I could put them in and be READY for that next week. It does confuse visitors at first not to be able to pick up ‘today’s’ readings.

However, we had incense (lots of it), plus a Eucharistic procession all around the church after Mass, and ended with Benediction. Bonus points were that during the procession we sang (in Latin) Pange Lingua throughout. We also do the Gloria, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei in Latin chant at all Masses and most of the prayers are intoned by the priest on feasts especially.

Homily specifically referenced authentic Eucharistic miracles and the Real Presence. Also, the Church (a university parish) also ‘moved’ (permanently) the tabernacle to behind the altar this week (like many more ‘modern’ churches it had been off to the side for years) and the priest mentioned the importance for the tabernacle being ‘central’ in placement in a church as well as the need for Christ’s being central to our lives.

I am starting to have a hopeful feeling that the ‘40 years in the wilderness’ is coming to an end. . . (This is not a negative statement implying that I believe Vatican II was bad --I don’t; having read all the documents they are just fine though individuals put things into place some things never called for; but simply that there has been a change affecting U.S. Catholics of all ages and stages which has had its problematic sides and that the problems are in many ways being addressed and corrected. So it is a positive statement please, not a negative one.)

Are you kidding?! We don’t even do them when they’re obligatory, what are the odds that we’d do them when they are optional?

No incense at the anticipated Mass yesterday evening, don’t expect they had any this morning either – perish the thought that someone might cough.

We said a short version of the sequence. My mother has been pressing me to attend this church ever since I turned back to my Catholic faith. Previously, I had attended another Catholic church in town.

I thought this church was quite liberal. People came dressed like they were going to a cook-out at the park; shorts, t-shirts. The congregation had to be regularly reminded when to stand up by the pastor. I didn’t recognize anything that we sang, even the parts that are sung at every mass. Then there was the insert in the center of the church newsletter with a pictures of various religious symbols (the crescent and star from Islam, the Celtic cross from Wicca, the “Om” from Hinduism) with a line underneath it that said we should respect all faiths. I am all for tolerance, but this seemed to celebrate faiths that were antithetical to Christianity and the Church itself. I was tempted to ask the pastor afterward if he had read the same stuff by Pope Benedict that I had been reading.

It all seemed out of line with the entire idea of Corpus Christi. In fact, I whispered to my daughter at one point something about trans-substantiation because the homily didn’t say much of anything about it. Forgive me, but isn’t that the point of the celebration?

I left with the peace that I expected to find after attending mass, but with a certain amount of confusion and bewilderment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.