Today's (August 11th) First Reading

Hi CAF!

I was at Mass this morning and I read the first reading. I remember being taken back by its utter beauty and wisdom. I’d love to read it again and study it.

I’m sure I didn’t read the wrong reading as the priest read the Gospel directly after it. To the best of my memory, it was a “A Letter to the (Philippians?)”, and the reading talked about how we are saved through Christ Jesus. The writer, presumably St. Paul, was talking about how we should give up all to be with Jesus, and how he doesn’t feel that he is above us, but that he places all his joy and hope in Christ because he is the Savior.

However, whenever I look up the readings for today, they are all Deuteronomy 31:1-8.

I’m sorry if this sounds a bit scatter-brained, but do any of you have a suggestion of what the reading may have been?

Thank you! God bless!!

Perhaps, SnowAngels, it was the
Entrance Antiphon: “I despised the
kingdom of the world and all worldly
finery for love of my Lord Jesus
Christ, whom I have seen, whom I
have loved, in whom I have believed,
in whom has been my delight.” The
**Living with Christ **guide to the Eucharist
doesn’t give a Biblical reference to it
tho.

SnowAngels,

The reading you found (from Deuteronomy) was the reading for Tuesday in the 19th week in Ordinary Time.

One of the options for today was to choose the readings for the memorial of St Clare. Those readings were Philippians 3:8-14 and Matthew 19:27-29.

THANK YOU!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Philippians 3:8-14 was it!!!

Thank you for your help, GLam! This Entrance Antiphon is beautiful to read! I’m going to share it with my friends!

St. Clare pray for us! :wink:

Happy Feast Day!!!

Yes!

Philippians is an interesting book.

The city of Philippi was basically a Roman military retirement community named after Phillip the Great who was Alexander the Great’s father. Honor, shared sacrifice and obedience to authority were some of the military virtues St. Paul encountered when he went there. The converts in Philippi Christianized these Roman military virtues. Paul loved the people there so much that he visited the city on all three of his apostolic journeys.

You can hear St. Paul using military language as he writes to the former Roman soldiers in Philippi who had become Christians.

*Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you stand firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel, and not frightened in anything by your opponents. This is a clear omen to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God. (Philippians 1:27-28)

Brethren, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 2:13-14)

that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, (Philippians 3:10) *

The honor of sharing in Christ’s death, straining forward toward the prize and pressing on toward the shared goal, not being afraid, power, strength, standing firm, unity of purpose, striving side by side and the destruction of adversaries - this is clear military language and the book becomes quite beautiful when read in that light.

-Tim-

Indeed. And quite inspiring in every age. I’ll look more deeply…thank you!

Very interesting insights! Thank you for sharing! Learning the historical setting of different books of the Bible is intriguing and important to understanding their context. Thank you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.