Todays first reading for the Assumption is beautiful

I always loved the book of Judith. She seems to be somewhat similar to Mary in her faith and I loved the first reading lesson.

Lesson from the book of Judith
Judith 13:22-25; 15:10
The Lord has blessed you by His power, because by you He has brought our enemies to nought. Blessed are you, O daughter, by the Lord the Most High God, above all women upon the earth. Blessed be the Lord Who made heaven and earth, Who has directed you to the cutting off the head of the prince of our enemies, because He has so magnified your name this day, that your praise shall not depart out of the mouth of men, who shall be mindful of the power of the Lord forever; for you have not spared your life, by reason of the distress and tribulation of your people, but have prevented our ruin in the presence of our God. You are the glory of Jerusalem, you are the joy of Israel, you are the honor of our people.
R. Thanks be to God.

@Onthisrock84

yes Lk 1:42-48 … blessed are you among women.Mary is more than Judith,and all the virtues of Judith are attributed to Mother Mary who is full of Grace Luke 1:28

Yes Luke was the Gospel reading. I went to EF mass for todays feast. Are the readings the same in OF?

Reading 11 CHR 15:3-4, 15-16; 16:1-2]Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Vigil
Lection Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm[PS 132:6-7, 9-10, 13-14] Reading 2[1 COR 15:54B-57]

Gospel LK 11:27-28]

Day Mass
Reading 1[RV 11:19A; 12:1-6A, 10AB)

Responsorial Psalm[PS 45:10, 11, 12, 1]
Reading 2[1 COR 15:20-27]
Gospel LK 1:39-56]

Oh cool the introit was taken from that part of Revelation.

This is all well and good, but she murdered a man. The text seems to belittle the men who could not do what she did, but only a woman could have used her wiles to get close to the enemy. It worked, militarily, but it was still gruesome. She killed a very evil man who wanted to destroy Israel.

closed #7

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.