Todays Gospel 8/24/2017

Today the gospel speaks of the 12 apostles in the city of God - who is the 12th ?

“The wall of the city had twelve courses of stones as its foundation,
on which were inscribed the twelve names
of the twelve Apostles of the Lamb.”

Matthi′as (Acts 1:12)

So St Paul has no place in the 12?

He is not an Apostle, no.
He’s very important in salvation history as a teacher, but not an Apostle.

Paul was not one of the “12” but he nonetheless is considered an “apostle”. He is so called in scripture, as was Barnabas. Additionally, Silas and Timothy are, by most theologians, considered to have held the office of “apostle”, and some would also consider Apollos, and possibly even a third “James”.

See: catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/apostles-who-werent-part-of-the-twelve

So what’s your take on the makeup in the lens of today’s Gospel?

Hi, Clare!

…actually… not!

Though St. Paul refers to himself as the least of the Apostles… one that would have gained existence through an abortion… he is in deed an Apostle of Christ… what we seem to miss is that St. Paul is not an Apostle to the Twelve Tribes of Israel… he is the Apostle to the Gentiles (even though Christ’s Great Commission is that His Apostles go to the whole world and to make Disciples of them Baptizing them in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)–first, Israel must be Ministered to by the Twelve… then all of the world would be Ministered to by all of Christ’s Apostles:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]1 From Paul to the churches of Galatia, and from all the brothers who are here with me, 2 an apostle who does not owe his authority to men or his appointment to any human being but who has been appointed by Jesus Christ and by God the Father who raised Jesus from the dead.

(Galatians 1:1-2)
Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

Again…I think the OP is referring to:
WHO exactly are the 12 in today’s passage.
Of course we wouldn’t know until we see them…as some have said…there may be others that are considered Apostles.

No I knew of Matthi′as (Acts 1:12) I just want to know how St Paul fit in and the other poster is right - He is the apostle of the Gentiles not the 12 tribes of Israel.

So i have my answer - thanks

I would agree with this. It is about the original twelve but Judas was replaced by Mathias. So that would be the twelve.

Paul is an apostle but not one of the twelve.

The number twelve is pretty symbolic perhaps corresponds the the number twelve (tribes of Israel) - a complete nuimber. I think the readings (Rev and the Gospel) emphasis is on the number twelve.

Hi, Clare!

…ok… I thought that St. Paul was being relegated to some sort of evangelist… in this exacting case, we have them in the list the Twelve, minus Judas, plus Matthias:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]1 He summoned his twelve disciples, and gave them authority over unclean spirits with power to cast them out and to cure all kinds of diseases and sickness. 2 These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon who is called Peter, and his brother Andrew; James the son of Zebedee, and his brother John; 3 Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the tax collector; James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; 4 Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, the one who was to betray him. 5 These twelve Jesus sent out

, instructing them as follows: ‘Do not turn your steps to pagan territory, and do not enter any Samaritan town; 6 go rather to the lost sheep of the House of Israel. (St. Matthew 10:1-6)

15 One day Peter stood up to speak to the brothers*e]-there were about a hundred and twenty persons in the congregation: 16 ‘Brothers, the passage of scripture had to be fulfilled in which the Holy Spirit, speaking through David, foretells the fate of Judas, who offered himself as a guide to the men who arrested Jesus – 17 after having been one of our number and actually sharing this ministry of ours…

20 Now in the Book of Psalms it says: Let his camp be reduced to ruin, Let there be no one to live in it. And again: Let someone else take his office. 21** ‘We must therefore choose someone who has been with us the whole time that the Lord Jesus was travelling round with us, 22 someone who was with us right from the time when John was baptising until the day when he was taken up from us** – and he can act with us as a witness to his resurrection.’ 23 Having nominated two candidates, Joseph known as Barsabbas, whose surname was Justus, and Matthias, 24 they prayed, ‘Lord, you can read everyone’s heart; show us therefore which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this ministry and apostolate, which Judas abandoned to go to his proper place’. 26 They then drew lots for them, and as the lot fell to Matthias, he was listed as one of the twelve apostles. (Acts 1:15-26)
The cue is found in St. Matthew 10:5-6 and Acts 1:21-22, 25-26.

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

Hi, Reuben!

Correct!

This number is specially significant to God:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]10 the twenty-four elders prostrated themselves before him to worship the One who lives for ever and ever, and threw down their crowns in front of the throne, saying,

(Apocalypse [Revelation] 4:10)
The Twelve Patriarchs (representing the twelve tribes of Israel) and the Twelve Apostles (representing Jesus’ Twelve Apostles sent to the House of Israel).

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.