Todays Gospel, "The Father and I are one"

Greetings and peace be with you all,

What is the explanation for this?

Jn 10:27-30
Jesus said:
“My sheep hear my voice;
I know them, and they follow me.
I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish.
No one can take them out of my hand.
My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all,
and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand.
The Father and I are one.”

In the spirit of searching

Eric

It stikes me that this is one of several places in the gospels that Jesus is declaring himself to be incarnate God.

Jesus is here equating himself with the “Father”, and is asserting that the “Father” and he are one. That is, that he and the “Father” are united together in a most perfect and unspeakable way: The Father and Jesus, with the Holy Spirit, are “one” God.

Is that the kind of answer you were hoping for?

Godspeed, friend.
tony

In each place where Jesus gives a command or directive to Peter or the apostles, He first establishes His authority to do so.

Here, He is giving Peter, singularly, the authority of the Good Shepherd Who is One with the Father… to be the shepherd of His very flock… feed… tend… feed.

No other church or faith community can link to any, ANY, of the powers given to Peter and/or the 12 to teach, guide and perserve the very fullness of the faith.

In this gospel, “I and the Father are One” - Our Lord is stating that there is one divine nature, but two distinct persons.

Thank you for all your replies; I wonder if the greatest commandments are able to describe the oneness of God.

The Father loves all that he is with all his heart, mind soul and strength.
The Father loves Christ as he loves himself.
Christ loves the Father as he loves himself.

Can Christ love the Father more than he loves himself?

The greatest commandments seem awesome when used in this way; can this be one of the reasons why the commandments are greatest?

In the spirit of searching

Eric

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.