Todays Gospel - where is it written what Satan quoted?

Today’s Gospel was about the temptations of Christ by Satan. Satan said:

For it is written:
"He will command his angels concerning you
and with their hands they will support you,
lest you dash your foot against a stone.” [Mat 4:6]

And, I thought to myself, “hmmm. I don’t remember reading that anywhere.”

So I consulted my study Bible, which normally provides citations for OT references. And there were none.

Where, exactly, was that statement written?

Psalm 91:11-12 (Psalm 90:11-12 in the DR).

Yeah, that’s it. Strange that my (Catholic NAB) study Bible failed to reference it. Thanks!

You’re welcome. This is why I use the DR. The psalm also gives a reference to Luke 4:10.

The priest in his homily today stated that it showed how confusing the bible can be at times - Satan used the bible to test/tempt Jesus…yet He used the same bible to counter Satan’s argument!

Obviously, Satan has a better knowledge of the Bible than most of us. But we can pick it apart far far better! Oh for the simple faith of a child, than those that can lose their own soul through exegesis.

Thus comes the often repeated, “Even Satan can quote scripture to suit his purpose.” I believe it was Shakespeare who started it.

I have a Revised Standard Version that also gives the cross references

[/quote]

It is in both the RSV and NAB

For he will give his angels charge of you
to guard you in all your ways.
On their hands they will bear you up,
lest you dash your foot against a stone
(Psalm 91:11-12 RSV)

quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/r/rsv/rsv-idx?type=DIV2&byte=2341040

For he commands his angels with regard to you,
to guard you wherever you go.
With their hands they shall support you,
lest you strike your foot against a stone.

(Psalm 91:11-12 NAB)

usccb.org/bible/psalms/91

-Tim-

:thumbsup:

True. As Pope Benedict said (I’m paraphrasing) exegesis is a good servant but a lousy master. What is needed is “canonical exegesis” - in other words, whatever our modern tools may yield should always be respectful of, and submissive to, Church tradition and teaching.

Very True!! Too many try to be experts in an area where the Church has to be our teacher.

What we really need is less exegesis and more lectio divina.

Proper exegesis in the context of the Church is important so that we don’t fall into error but the Bible is so much more. Too many people try to figure out Scripture and understand it, as if it is a puzzle to be solved, and they miss what it really is - the creator of the universe himself coming to us, meeting with us and speaking with us.

Scripture isn’t just a collection of words about God. Scripture is a profound enconter with God. Theology was exactly that for the first 1000 years of the Church - encountering God in the words of Scripture, listening to the Scriptures and praying the Scriptures back to God. That is how the early Church could say “A theologian is one who prays.”

-Tim-

Paulist Press has published a New Revised Standard Version called “Lectio Divina Edition” that has meditations on selected verses/passages. Has anyone seen this?

Listening to someone else speak about their own lectio is like listening to someone describe a dream - the explanation is never as vivid to the hearer as the dream itself was to the one who had it and the discription never really seems to make sense.

Lectio to me is very personal. I hate to be a naysayer and have not seen this Bible. If it gets more people to practice Lectio then I am all for it! :thumbsup: The best book on the topic is “Sacred Reading” by Michael Casey.

I took this thread pretty far off topic. Mea maxima culpa!

Back on topic, yeah… Psalm 91. It’s in there.

I like this. :thumbsup:

In fact, Pope Francis’ sermon on these readings says something quite similar:

asianews.it/news-en/Pope:-Do-not-argue-with-Satan,-defened-yourself-with-the-Word-of-God-30511.html

Thank you so much for pointing out the words of the Holy Father…

*** “Jesus does not dialogue with Satan, as Eve did in the Garden of Eden . Jesus knows that there is no dialogue with Satan, because he is too cunning. This is why Jesus, instead of entering into a dialogue like Eve, chooses to take refuge in God’s Word and responds with the power of this Word. We should remember this when we are tempted”.***

Sublime.

-Tim-

:thumbsup:

Let me derail this thread a wee bit further and say that I really enjoy Pope Francis’ sermons. :thumbsup:

Did you know that Mercury Automobiles years ago used “The Year Of The Cat” as their commercial? This was in the 1970s when they introduced the Mercury Cougar.:shrug:

Yes it was,it was read by our priest at Mass, this March 2 second,when he said the Gospel,this week,the Gosepl was about Temption and Adam & Eve.But i do know that,when I was listing too the Gospel,the one about Jesus being Tempted by the Devil,was read and it said how the Devil try to Temption on Jesus,but at the end, he told Satin too be gone and Satin left Jesus alone.

I’m going to sue them for retroactive plagiarism. :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.