Today's Mass reading help

In today’s Sunday Mass reading we are told in the Gospel of Luke 21:5-19 that as faithful persevering Christians we can be subject to persecution, killing, but then at the conclusion we are told not a hair on one’s head will perish. Is Jesus talking about the eternal life of the body in Heaven only when he teaches not a hair on one’s head will perish as faithful persevering Christians?

He means after we die like that, no matter how, that we will be resurrected with everything intact down to the hair on our head. :bible1:

For help on this mass reading, I think you may be interested in my personal commentary on todays mass readings. Check out my blog at: apologetics4catholics.wordpress.com
Here I spend time talking about the Second Coming and our response as Christians. I don’t know if it will help answer your question but I hope you can glean insight from it.

Blessings!

Landon

Yes.

From the Navarre Bible Commentary:

**Verse 19: **Jesus foretells all kinds of persecution. Persecution itself is something inevitable: “all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted” (2 Timothy 3:12). His disciples will have need to remember the Lord’s warning at the Last Supper: “A servant is not greater than his master. If they persecuted Me, they will persecute you” (John 15:20). However, these persecutions are part of God’s providence: they happen because He lets them happen, which He does in order to draw greater good out of them. Persecution provides Christians with an opportunity to bear witness to Christ; without it the blood of martyrs would not adorn the Church. Moreover, our Lord promises to give special help to those who suffer persecution, and He tells them not to be afraid: He will give them of His own wisdom to enable them to defend themselves; He will not permit a hair of their heads to perish, that is, even apparent misfortune and loss will be for them a beginning of Heaven.

Thank you all for your inputs and explanations.

Landon 13, I took a look at your web site. What a wonderful explanation of today’s Mass reading and your overall conversion experience. Thanks again.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.