today's Mass readings (God speaks to Jacob / No OSAS / you will be hated by all)

**F (7-10) **

Genesis 46:1-7, 28-30:

Israel set out with all that was his. When he arrived at Beer-sheba, he offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac. There God, speaking to Israel in a vision by night, called, “Jacob! Jacob!” He answered, “Here I am.” Then he said: “I am God, the God of your father. Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for there I will make you a great nation. Not only will I go down to Egypt with you; I will also bring you back here, after Joseph has closed your eyes.” So Jacob departed from Beer-sheba, and the sons of Israel put their father and their wives and children on the wagons that Pharaoh had sent for his transport. They took with them their livestock and the possessions they had acquired n the land of Canaan. Thus Jacob and all his descendants migrated to Egypt. His sons and his grandsons, his daughters, and his granddaughters – all his descendants – he took with him to Egypt. Israel had sent Judah ahead to Joseph, so that he might meet him in Goshen. On his arrival in the region of Goshen, Joseph hitched the horses to his chariot and rode to meet his father Israel in Goshen. As soon as Joseph saw him, he flung himself on his neck, and wept a long time in his arms. And Israel said to Joseph, “At last I can die, now that I have seen for myself that Joseph is still alive.”

St Mt 10:16-23:

Jesus said to his Apostles: “Behold, I am sending you like sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and simple as doves. But beware of men, for they will hand you over to courts and scourge you in their synagogues, and you will be led before governors and kings for my sake as a witness before them and the pagans. When they hand you over, do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say. You will be given at that moment what you are to say. For it will not be you who speak but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. Brother will hand over brother to death, and the father his child; children will rise up against parents and have them put to death. You will be hated by all because of my name, but whoever endures to the end will be saved. When they persecute you in one town, flee to another. Amen, I say to you, you will not finish the towns of Israel before the son of Man comes.

*There is no Once Saved Always Saved. “He who endures to the end will be saved”. And notice further that it says “he will be saved” not “he is saved”… Salvation is a process…
(“Work out your salvation with fear and trembling” Phil 2;12)

You will be hated by all… *

That one was addressed personally to me… :smiley:

I was very impressed with our Priest today. In his homily he addressed being persecuted for our beliefs and for speaking of them in public. He believes this is getting worse. He gave examples of people being charged large fines for speaking against homosexual practices and about a new law where if one is in a teaching capacity and teaches our beliefs on the subject a five year prison term could result.

It was a nice non fluffy homily.

so much for the 1st Amendment :mad:

separation of church and state was intended to keep the governemtn out of the Church not the other way around… but nowadays that whole Church-state-Non-interference- separtion thing has been drummed into our heads so much that no one will ever believe that…

usccb.org/nab/today.shtml

In the first reading, we see “what comes around goes around”, when Joseph’s
brothers, who sold him into slavery, are now unknowingly led into slavery themselves.
All their decendents will become slaves to the Egyptians. But what about Joseph?
He married an Egyptian, and his children are half Egyptian. Manassah and Ephraim
shared the fate of the slaves… Can that be a punishment for marrying an Egyptian?
You know, our decendents are unknowingly becoming slaves. If our country is so
much in debt, then people owe the money before they are even born. That’s not
really being born free, is it? Yet, when we are born into the “prosperity” of America,
we think we’re getting a good deal, just like Goshen used to be pretty good…

“As soon as Joseph saw him, he flung himself on his neck
and wept a long time in his arms” – poor Joseph, suffering in the midst of his
success, it was his frail old father who held him for a long time, not the other
way around… Jacob, and Joseph’s joy is complete… and what about heaven?
might there be those of us who will “weep a long time” at the start? How will God
feel to have us in heaven?

R. **The salvation of the just comes from the Lord. **-- not themselves…

“but whoever endures to the end will be saved.” – What must a person endure,
and what do they do to endure it? Run away? Is that enduring?
“When they persecute you in one town, flee to another” - Distracted, have you
fled to another town? I bet you haven’t.
But this morning our priest said that there comes a time when you have to
stop running. And that even if your own father tells you to do something evil,
you must say “no”. He said that if your children give you wrong advice, you
must not take it. I wondered what an example of that could be, what is wrong
advice that a child could give a parent?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.