Today's Mass readings (procaliming the Word in the Jewish synagogues / The Word (not the person of Christ) condemns unbelievers [?])

**Wed (5-6) **

**Acts 12:24-13:5: **

The word of God continued to spread and grow. After Barnabas and Saul completed their relief mission, they returned to Jerusalem, taking with them John, who is called Mark. Now there were in the Church at Antioch prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Symeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen who was a close friend of Herod the tetrarch and Saul. While they were worshipping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” Then, completing their fasting and prayer, they laid hands on them and sent them off. So they, sent forth by the Holy Spirit, went down to Selucia and from there sailed to Cyprus. When they arrived in Salamis, ***they proclaimed the word of God in the Jewish synagogues. ***

Ps 67:

O God, let all the nations praise you…

St Jn 12:44-50:

Jesus cried out and said, “whoever believes in me believes not only in me but also in the one who sent me and whoever sees me sees the one who sent me. I came into the world as light, so that everyone who believes in me might not remain in darkness. And if anyone hears my words and does not observe them, I do not condemn him, for I did not come to condemn the world but to save the world. Whoever rejects me and does not accept my words has something to judge him: the word that I spoke, it will condemn him on the last days, because I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and speak. And I know that his commandment is eternal life. So what I say, I say as the Father told me.”

*The first passage is interesting because i used to think that once Christianity came onto the scene… the synagogue leaders wanted to stick to the old Jewish religion & probably a lot of them did… I guess i overlooked these lines of scripture when i first read the New Testament when i was young… which shows how the mind retains what it is inclined to retain and tends to ignore the rest…

Anyway, it is interesting that, in the last passage, **Jesus seems to make a separation between Himself and the Word and yet He is the Word Incarnate **(St John 1)… Hmm… this is mysterious to me… :confused: *

*One thing that is not so mysterious is that we all need to keep the Word of God… and if something causes us not to be able to do that… :eek: well, i guess we need to “cut it off and cast it” from us… *

usccb.org/nab/readings/050609.shtml

While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said,
“Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul…”

This part from the first reading strikes me because I wonder how long they
had been worshiping and fasting, and what did the Holy Spirit sound like?
Did everybody hear it? This is the Holy Spirit actually talking.

I’d also like to know who John Mark is. Could he be the Mark who wrote the gospel
of Mark? What if he wrote the gospel of John instead of the apostle John?
What if he wrote 1,2, or 3John?

“And if anyone hears my words and does not observe them…Whoever …does not accept my words has something to judge him: the word that I spoke,
it will condemn him on the last day,”

And what are the words that Jesus spoke? He expects us to not just accept
them but observe them too. It is the words He knows we heard that will condemn
us. These are fearful words, since Jesus said so many things.

The first thing He said in the book of Matthew after His temptations and baptism,
was “reform your lives!” So now that we heard it, He expects us to do it.
After the beatitudes, He says that men must see the goodness in our acts(5:16).
In verse 20, He says we must be holier than the Pharisees or we will not enter
heaven. In verse 22 we are strictly warned not to be angry with “our brother”.
And what about verse 32, which says the man who marries a divorced woman
commits adultery. There are so many words that Jesus has said, and if we hear
them, He expects us to observe them. But how can we? Sometimes we read
His words, but they are much harder to follow than the 10 commandments even.
How can we follow the golden rule? How can we love one another as we have been
loved by Jesus?

We will do all these things, and we will know that it was by His power, not ours.

I think it is very mysterious that we all need to keep the Words of Jesus… because
it simply can’t be done but by His power…:jrbirdman:

(I don’t know what this smiley looks like, but I thought it might have a bird in it, and
make us think of the Holy Spirit!)

:bible1:
In regard to the Holy Bible there is a conceptual statement . . . treasured by Holy Mother Church for centuries . . . which is so dear in its simplicity . . . and yet within it is a portion of comprehension of the infinity of our ***Saviour . . . Jesus . . . the Blessed Christ . . . Who is the Way . . . the Truth . . . and the Life ***. . . Attributed to having come from the blessed and holy soul of St. Augustine . . . the statement in all its simplicity is that the Holy Bible/Sacred Scripture is ***“ . . . the Lord become The Book . . .” ***I love the holy light shining forth from the central heart of these few little profound words . . .

*The Catechism of the Catholic Church - Article 3 - Sacred Scripture is a super place to begin for Catholics seeking to understand the true nature of Sacred Scripture . . . below is a quote from same:

“God is the author of Sacred Scripture. ‘’The divinely revealed realities, which are contained and presented in the text of Sacred Scripture, have been written down under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.’

For Holy Mother Church, relying on the faith of the apostolic age, accepts as sacred and canonical the books of the Old and the New Testaments, whole and entire, with all their parts, on the grounds that, written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, they have God as their author and have been handed on as such to the Church herself.” Article 3:105

“… the Church has always venerated the Scriptures as she venerates the Lord’s Body. She never ceases to present to the faithful the bread of life, taken from one table of God’s Word and Christ’s Body.“

In Sacred Scripture, the Church constantly finds her nourishment and her strength, for she welcomes it not as a human word, ‘but as what it really is, the Word of God.’ In the sacred books the Father who is in heaven comes lovingly to meet his children, and talks with them.” Article 3:103b-104*
***“In the Beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” ***
John 1:1(Douay Rheims Version)

“And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us . . . “
John 1:14 (Douay Rheims Version)

I’m going to take a stab at answering your question . . . *but I leave it up to those who are far more learned about such things within Holy Mother Church than I to review and test if this answer *hits or misses *the mark: *
In the Douay Rheims Version of the The Holy Bible in the above referenced quotes the noun “word” is capitalized in both. I love the attention to subtle details this particular translation contains, which . . . regretably . . . is so often lost in so many other versions that have gone to print in this modern day and age. For me . . . *and this is just a personal opinion . . . I’ve found the easiest way to understand the difference you were questioning above is to think of “Word” (capitalized) as the . . . total, whole and complete * . . . Holy Wonderful Person of Christ Jesus . . . God the Son . . . our Saviour . . .and the lowercased “word” as a portion of the greater whole . . . ***it is all God ***. . . even as our ***Wonderful Eucharistic Lord ***is present . . . total and complete . . . in a holy consecrated host . . . whether it is just a tiny crumb of a consecrated host . . . or the total consecrated host . . . **all of God is present in each **. . . If you would think of seeing our Wonderful Lord like you would see an incredibly beautiful multifaceted diamond in its totality . . . think of focusing on one portion only of the words (lower case) of a passage of Sacred Scripture as being like focusing on only one facet of the whole diamond . . . the one facet is in no way detached from the whole . . . but the focus is on just the one facet . . .

All this deals with the eternal mystery of the Wisdom of God . . . our finite minds are very limited in their ability to grasp and understand such matters . . . but . . . *by God’s Grace *. . . we are allowed little shafts of light now-and-again . . . I hope this helps a little . . .

All for Jesus,

a daughter of the Blessed Virgin Mary+

[RIGHT]. . . Holy Archangel Gabriel
help us in understanding . . .
[/RIGHT]

I’m glad i heard them while Catholic… because now i am far less fearful than i would be otherwise. In other words: The best way to do everything jesus says is to be a devout, spirit-filled CAtholic…

. There are so many words that Jesus has said, and if we hear
them, He expects us to observe them. But how can we? ? How can we love one another as we have been
loved by Jesus?

well… Jesus spoke of Hell more often than Heaven and more often than a lot of things… Obviously, God’s will primarily is for everyone to get into Heaven… I say that the best way to do God’s will is to help peple get into Heaven… Pray for them, tell them about Hell… tell them that their sins will get them there… It bites to tell people this kind ofthing… :frowning: but we have to… we can’t act as though everyone gets into Heaven just by saying Sorry, God… & then going his/her own way… or whatever… We have to disabuse people of their false notions about God. God is totally Pure… & only pure souls will enter Heaven(Rev 21:27)… I know this not only from scipture but form being in His Presence… His Presence is far more holy and pure than most people (who have never been There or not for long…) have a clue about…!!!

We will do all these things, and we will know that it was by His power, not ours.

another reason to spend time with Him at the RP… :slight_smile:

i agree about the Douay Rheims being a good version, if not the absolute best…

and i like what you say about the facets of the diamond…

again (I’m always “focused” on the RP :)) i only seem to see the “whole diamond” when i am in His Exposed Presence… :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.