Today's Office of Readings

This seems to be contradicted in other places where it is said only the guilty themselves are punished.
"Having come down in a cloud, the Lord stood with him there and proclaimed his name, “Lord.” Thus the Lord passed before him and cried out, “The Lord, the Lord, a merciful and gracious God, slow to anger and rich in kindness and fidelity, continuing his kindness for a thousand generations, and forgiving wickedness and crime and sin; yet not declaring the guilty guiltless, but punishing children and grandchildren to the third and fourth generation for their fathers’ wickedness!”

I’ll have to check the Rabbinic commentary when I have such close at hand, but I would guess that that is a hyperbole–it’s a rhetorical device that isn’t necessarily meant to be taken literally, but to make the statement that God is gentle and merciful, but, to paraphrase Garrison Keillor, when he smote, he smote hard, and the one smitten tends to stay smitten.

-ACEGC

There are two posts in this thread, and I feel that English is not my native language.

What are you folks talking about?

[quote="sirach2v4, post:3, topic:317476"]
There are two posts in this thread, and I feel that English is not my native language.

What are you folks talking about?

[/quote]

The quote from the Bible in the Old Testament regarding punishing to several generations beyond the one which committed the offense.

could be something about repentance and sinners?

God bless Y’all

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.