Today's reading

The gospel reading at mass today was from Luke 9. It includes this:

Then from the cloud came a voice that said,
“This is my chosen Son; listen to him.”
%between%
I’m curious about the significance here of the word “chosen.” Anyone have ideas?

From the Douay-Rheims Version: “Luk 9:35 And a voice came out of the cloud; saying: This is my beloved son. Hear him.” From the Haydock Commentary: “Ver. 35. And a voice, &c. This is the voice of the Father from the cloud, as if he should say, “I call him not one of my sons, but my true and natural Son, to the resemblance of whom all others are adopted. (St. Cyril) — Not Elias, not Moses, but he whom you see alone, is my beloved Son. (St. Ambrose) — Therefore, it is added: and when the voice was heard, Jesus was alone, lest any one should imagine these words, This is my beloved Son, were addressed to Moses or Elias.” (Theophylactus)”

This is probably just an issue of translation. The Douay and KJV both say “beloved” instead of “chosen.” Nevertheless, there may be something to be said about the word chosen.

Jesus is true God and true man. Jesus has a human soul as part of the hypostatic union. That fact could indicate that the divine Son, Jesus, is chosen in his humanity in a fashion that is separate from all other members of the human family.

This is my own personal speculation and is subject to change because I really don’t know and I haven’t researched the issue thoroughly.

While I’m typing lak611 did the homework.

Thank you lak611.

You’re welcome!

Do all churches read the same portion of the New Testament at the same time?

No. My Church (Orthodox) had Mark 2: 1-12 for this Sunday. I am almost sure that Protestant churches choose different portions of the Scripture too.

It depends on what you mean. No matter if you walk into a Catholic parish in France or in the USA, they will be reading the same part of the gospel each week except for a few variations. For example, sometimes if you have catechumens present, the reading might vary to suit them, but how it varies is specified. Or, sometimes there is a longer and a shorter version of a particular gospel passage allowed to be read.

If you walk into a Protestant church, often you do hear the same gospel passage as in a Catholic parish, because *some *denominations adopted the same cycle of readings that the Catholics had, and then since they have made changes to it. So some of the readings still correspond.

Other denominations do not have a set reading each week, but the pastor himself chooses. These will completely vary.

Yes, except for special occasions (e.g. someone above mentioned catechuments present).

I wanted to add that it’s not just the New Testament readings that are read the same in every Catholic Church on any given day. This also applies to the Old Testament reading and the Psalms.

That is only for the Western Rite. I think that the Eastern sui juris Melkite, Maronite, etc] churches have their own lectionary, which matches that of the similar Orthodox Churches. I don’t know if they all have the same, or if it varies by rite or by sui juris church.

Thanks for the responses. Don’t derail the thread on my acount!

Heh, don’t worry Valke - my question has been answered. Thanks people. :slight_smile:

Thank you to all who participated - this thread is now closed.

Mane Nobiscum Domine,
Ferdinand Mary

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.