Today's Scripture Reading Luke 17:30-37

I tell you, on that night there will be two people in one bed;
one will be taken, the other left.
And there will be two women grinding meal together;
one will be taken, the other left.”
They said to him in reply, “Where, Lord?”
He said to them, “Where the body is,
there also the vultures will gather.”

Who are the ones left behind and who are the ones who will be taken? Some commentaries say the ones left behind are the ones who will be destroyed. Others, the ones taken up are the ones destroyed.

My thoughts are that it doesn’t matter which, the point is some will be saved, others not.

Some taken and others not, among both the rich (those in bed) and the poor (mill workers).

Haydock Commentary, Luke 17

Ver. 34. By these different examples, Christ wishes to insinuate that good and bad men will be found in every state of life. By those in bed, are understood the rich, by those in the mill, are understood the poor; whilst those in the field designate the pastors of his flock, who are labouring in the vineyard of the Lord. S. Cyril and S. Amb.

Note also Matthew 24

42 Watch ye therefore, because ye know not what hour your Lord will come.

Yes I read Haydock’s commentary. People who believe in the Rapture believe the ones left behind are the sinners, the ones who are taken are the saved. Is it important to know which are the ones who are saved?

It is not known with certainty from scripture if the reprobates will be raised at the same time as the believers.

The problem is … they’re not reading the text; they’re perceiving their own eisegesis:

• this is a story of “the day the Son of Man is revealed” (Lk 17:30). That’s not the story of “the rapture”, even by their very own doctrine: the rapture is a hidden event. No one sees Jesus on earth under that theory; it’s just that the believers get whisked up to heaven, leaving the rest to be “left behind” and suffer. Jesus has a third coming according to that doctrine, and in that third coming, He is revealed to all. So, at best, they should realize that this passage talks about the final return of Jesus, not the “secret second coming” that they mistakenly believe in.
  • They seem to have their “taken” and “left behind” groups confused. The ones who have been “left behind” to live on earth are Noah, Lot, and their families. The ones who have been “taken” are those swept away to death in flood and fire. I’m thinking they really don’t want to identify with those “taken” groups. :wink:
1 Like

Thank you for this! Makes sense in the context of the who Bible.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.