today's (Thurs) Mass readings

Thursday (7-30)

Ex 40:16-21, 34-38

Moses did exactly as the LORD had commanded him.
On the first day of the first month of the second year
the Dwelling was erected.
It was Moses who erected the Dwelling.
He placed its pedestals, set up its boards, put in its bars,
and set up its columns.
He spread the tent over the Dwelling
and put the covering on top of the tent,
as the LORD had commanded him.
He took the commandments and put them in the ark;
he placed poles alongside the ark and set the propitiatory upon it.
He brought the ark into the Dwelling and hung the curtain veil,
thus screening off the ark of the commandments,
as the LORD had commanded him.

Then the cloud covered the meeting tent,
and the glory of the LORD filled the Dwelling.
Moses could not enter the meeting tent,
because the cloud settled down upon it
and the glory of the LORD filled the Dwelling.
Whenever the cloud rose from the Dwelling,
the children of Israel would set out on their journey.
But if the cloud did not lift, they would not go forward;
only when it lifted did they go forward.
In the daytime the cloud of the LORD was seen over the Dwelling;
whereas at night, fire was seen in the cloud
by the whole house of Israel
in all the stages of their journey.

**Responsorial Psalm

Ps 84:3, 4, 5-6a and 8a, 11 **

R.(2) How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord, mighty God!
My soul yearns and pines
for the courts of the LORD.
My heart and my flesh
cry out for the living God

R. How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord, mighty God!
Even the sparrow finds a home,
and the swallow a nest
in which she puts her young–
Your altars, O LORD of hosts,
my king and my God!

Blessed they who dwell in your house!

continually they praise you.
Blessed the men whose strength you are!
They go from strength to strength.

I had rather one day in your courts
than a thousand elsewhere;
I had rather lie at the threshold of the house of my God
than dwell in the tents of the wicked.

Gospel
Mt 13:47-53

Jesus said to the disciples:
“The Kingdom of heaven is like a net thrown into the sea,
which collects fish of every kind.
When it is full they haul it ashore
and sit down to put what is good into buckets.
What is bad they throw away.

Thus it will be at the end of the age.
The angels will go out and separate the wicked from the righteous
and throw them into the fiery furnace,
where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.”

"Do you understand all these things?"
They answered, "Yes."
And he replied,
"Then every scribe who has been instructed in the Kingdom of Heaven
is like the head of a household who brings from his storeroom
both the new and the old."
When Jesus finished these parables, he went away from there.

*God begins, through Moses, to build his Church on Earth… which He completes with Jesus Christ (St Mt 16:18) - the Holy Roman Catholic Church. The ark of the covenant used to be how God visited His people. Now He dwells with us continually in the Catholic Church in the Real Presence of Jesus.

I was There earlier… It is the only Place on Earth where one can find perfect love… (in a way one can feel it … a tangible way)

I think all we Christians need to be constantly vigilant that we not be in that group of “bad fish” that is thrown away… since in another passage Jesus says that many will try to enter Heaven but will not be strong enough (St Lk 13:23 etc)… We should not presume that just because we go to Church and do [whatever] that we have “arrived”… God knows the depths of our depraved hearts… and no impurity will be allowed to enter Heaven (Rev 21:27) *

"Moses did exactly as the LORD had commanded him"
Thank you Moses! It is so satisfying to read these words. And Moses took no
chances, doing the work himself. But I wonder where the commandments were
before Moses placed them in the ark?

“I had rather one day in your courts
than a thousand elsewhere” — I agree!
“Blessed they who dwell in your house!
continually they praise you”
– I want to thank all who make it possible to hold daily and Sunday mass
I want to thank all who make adoration possible at a church
How good it is to praise the Lord together, and have a home in Christ!

“Then every scribe who has been instructed in the Kingdom of heaven
is like the head of a household who brings from his storeroom
both the new and the old.”
– Why did Jesus specify scribes in this gospel? Why didn’t He say every
disciple or even every person? What significance does the scribe have to
the dragnet story? Jesus says “then” every scribe…

Today is the day of St. Peter Chysologus. The words in his gospel strike me:
“A man’s words flow out of what fills his heart”.

So distracted, what is a person to do in order to be vigilant and not be a “bad fish”?

he must have been speaking of priests/bishops/popes because they are the heads of the Household of God… on Earth. and they bring forth from the store room both old and new (Old and New Testament)… Jesus said not one jot or tittle will be abolished …

So distracted, what is a person to do in order to be vigilant and not be a “bad fish”?

do everything Jesus wants… and get away from people on a regular basis… because the devil works through humans… even the good ones sometimes… (and there are few of those around anyway… seems to me…)

Again, Moses was the one who wrote the first books (scribbled…the scribe) and is called “faithful in all God’s household”. I wonder if the apostles saw a correlation.

Again, Moses was the one who wrote the first books (scribbled…the scribe) and is called “faithful in all God’s household”. I wonder if the apostles saw a correlation.

Wow, you noticed so many things today…

The rainbows are a neat idea, but it said smoke, not clouds. Have you ever seen
rainbows from a campfire? I love to imagine all the rainbows anyway…

I don’t see the birds as evil at all, I think of when Jesus described the kingdom of
heaven as a mustard seed, that grew a large bush that even birds could rest in.
I think they’re comparing it with the kingdom of God.

Do you think Jesus is saying that a scribe instructed in the kingdom of God is like
Moses? That must have made the scribes very happy…

If it were smoke, that would suggest a sacrifice and increase the idea of the mercy-seat being some kind of altar.
You might want to check again, though, I see: η νεφελη

Same word that is in:
1King 18:44 … at the seventh time, there arises a little νεφελη (smoke or cloud?) out of the sea.

In Numbers 9:15 – it DOES talk about fire with the tent of meeting, but only at night.

In the desert, at night it is cold and dark – that is when the light of God’s fire happened. In the day, the sun beat down, that is when the (cloud/smoke) gave shade. These same two things worked against the Egyptians, though.

Which do you think it was? fire in water…? or the Smoking God :wink:

I don’t see the birds as evil at all, I think of when Jesus described the kingdom of
heaven as a mustard seed, that grew a large bush that even birds could rest in.
I think they’re comparing it with the kingdom of God.

It came to mind because they are in the vision Joseph son of Israel interpreted when he was in Egyptian prison; and he said the image meant death to the man. But, those were birds eating – not just birds.

And so it is, that the Eagle was the bird of the Roman’s – a buzzard which gathered where the carcasses will be…

But, I think you’re closer than I am. The point of the mustard tree is that it is large enough that a bird nest would be safe in it – up high, out of reach.

I just don’t quite understand what birds have to do with an altar. The idea of the altar is sacrifice (and birds were included, but generally pidgeons/turtledoves).

One word for altar has “asteron” as part of the word – English astral means stars. (Without something sustaining them they burn in the sky – Greeks thought they were campfire sacrifices going on…)
The word “a-steron” is literally NOT-sustained/supported.

The seat of the ark contains the opposite word (missing the NOT part). So it is held up by something. There are other words used for altar normally in Jewish Greek; and often (because of astrology being a sin) the root word used here is avoided. But it is terribly interesting that they chose this very UNusual word for seat or support; for it is soooo tied to sacrifice.

I am thinking also, now, of Revelation 6:9 where the exact same root word is used for the altar; and under the altar are they who were martyred. The witnesses.

St. John is so precise with his words, that I am sure he did it on purpose.

Do you think Jesus is saying that a scribe instructed in the kingdom of God is like
Moses? That must have made the scribes very happy…

Yes, that is exactly it.

Pax Tecum, --Andrew.

Well, seeing as you showed it was the same word from the book of Kings that
was clearly a cloud of water, I guess water.

It is also interesting how much you have connected the birds at the altar with
the martyrs. You make me think all the bible translations are inaccurate, and
it’s time for a new one. Or do we all have to learn Greek and Hebrew to understand
the bible?

It’s not so much that the English is inaccurate, as it is that the translations are awkward because the ordering of thoughts is often different; and perhaps a proper meaning of the word is used – but just not the most evocative. Reading the Greek, (and I am starting to peek at Hebrew… but we’re together in not being able on that yet! ) forces me to study the usage of each word – and I have to think about the relationship between passages. That’s usually where I become surprised – for it often isn’t that the word by itself conveys any really new meaning – it’s just that relationships between passages become clearer. There are only a handfull of places where I have found the translations to be seriously missing the point (altogether).

And, actually, I hadn’t thought about the relationship of the birds to the martyrs.
That’s kind of spooky!

The reference to sacrifice and birds – goes back to a possible reading of Cain.
eg: “Sin is knocking at the door” can also (potentially) be translated as Cain not cutting up an animal correctly – eg: his was a crooked/unjust/sly cut.

So, did you make an inference about the birds being the pickers of carcasses…
with injustice? Or perhaps Cain cutting up Able…the peacful one? being likened to what the birds would do (buzzards) since Cain didn’t bury him or perhaps the gentleness of a dove?

It took me quite a while to figure out that is one possible translation of Genesis and Cain – others who know Greek didn’t come up with that – and it is only one of the early popes (I think) who’s translation picks up on the theme of the justice of the sacrifice – eg: translating it “returns to you” or something along those lines… I’ll have to find my old post and see what exactly I found out – although! The word he used to describe it is as obscure as the originals!!!

Somehow, we have lost part of the history of these words. I am not so quick to judge translations as “bad” any more; It is as the Jesus said, The Holy spirit will lead you into all truth. Time will reveal what God wants us to know, and the Church can sift through the subtleties to keep us on the right track.

Thanks! I really enjoyed your comment!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.