Told off for receiving on the HAND

I’m not complaining or making a point or anything like that… I just want to share this anecdote because we so often hear “I was told not to receive on the tongue at my liberal parish” or “because of Covid I was told no one can receive on the tongue”. The traditionalists among us might get a kick out of this one.

At our cathedral they have set up two communion stations since Covid. Both stations consist of a plexiglass shield erected on the altar rail - with a slot for Father’s hand. Those who wish to receive on the hand are to go to the station on the left, and those who wish to receive on the tongue are to go to the station on the right - with a priest who is “expert” at not making contact. I’ve been receiving on the hand because I’m frankly more comfortable that way at this time… but yesterday I was last in line and the priest at the “hand” station had left. So when I got to the “tongue” station and stuck out my hand, Father communed me but then tapped the Plexiglass where there was a little placard showing reception on the tongue… I was in the wrong and not a big deal at all… but I just wanted to share because I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone complaining that they were told off for receiving on the hand - it’s always the opposite. :wink:

3 Likes

This makes me want to join your parish! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hope you are in jest, but if you consider this being told off…

3 Likes

I love the idea of a priest being “expert” at giving COTT without making contact. I’m picturing some sort of ninja-style training school at the Vatican with priests having to try to catch flies with chopsticks to sharpen their reflexes … :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

12 Likes

In the circumstances, the proper response would have been a visible shrug of your shoulders. Sheesh!

Plexiglass in between the priest and communicant! I’m sorry, but that’s taking things way too far for me.

1 Like

The first thing they did at my parish was have a portable Communion station built. It looks like Lucy’s “The psychiatrist is in” booth but with plexiglass installed to about 4 inches above the counter so you can place your hands underneath to receive. It is wheeled into place after Fr. receives Communion and removed as soon as Communion is over. Fr. wears a mask as do all communicants.

I’m not a Catholic but I understand most priests are elderly. Removing plexiglass in Covid pandemic conditions would lead to a significant percentage suffering great distress and, of them, many dying years before they would without Covid. As far as I can see (mainly from reading CAF) Bishops nearly everywhere have been really sensible in applying science to Catholic practices. There are things I understand that priests and other Catholics are willing to die for and I respect that. But no one should be expected to put themselves at risk because of aesthetic traditions.

4 Likes

Small particles of Jesus are more at risk of being dropped when received on the hand

1 Like

I think you left out the telling off part :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Or tapping the shield right back and then pointing at the empty “CITH” station…
:wink:

3 Likes

Sometimes I imagine being a priest, and distributing communion. Looking at each person, figuring out if they are by hand or by mouth, judging how short or tall they are, and where I would have to place Communion on the tongue.
Then I imagine the experience of a priest distributing communion at an altar rail. This would have to be way better and more certain of a good result.

3 Likes

I read it as a facetious thread title meant in good humor.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.