Tolerance is satans message

There is a lot of talk today about the concept of tolerance.

“We should all learn to tolerate each other”

In my mind this is a counterfeit truth created by Satan.

Jesus said that we should pray for our enemies and love our neighbor.

Tolerance implies that you first despise the other person and force yourself to live with him around.

I think this is an important truth that needs to be made known by the Catholic Church.

I do not know that it is reasonable to castigate a neutral word that has both positive and negative connotations. Obviously tolerance or sin is bad, but a mother tolerating her crying infant is a good thing.

Can you clarify the specific realm of tolerance you believe Satanic?

[quote=kev7]There is a lot of talk today about the concept of tolerance.

“We should all learn to tolerate each other”

In my mind this is a counterfeit truth created by Satan.

Jesus said that we should pray for our enemies and love our neighbor.

Tolerance implies that you first despise the other person and force yourself to live with him around.

I think this is an important truth that needs to be made known by the Catholic Church.
[/quote]

Hi kev7!

What would the alternative to tolerance be in real, practical terms? If tolerance is the process by which we learn to put up with someone we would otherwise dislike, why would this necessarily be a counterfeit by Satan? Isn’t it a subset of the Christian virtue of patience? Does the practice of tolerance somehow preclude praying for our enemies and loving our neighbor?

Perhaps, what you mean, is that you dislike the confusion of tolerance with acceptance.

This thread would have been better served under the “Moral Theology” heading. I agree with the other posts in that I am curious as to how you define tolerance.

Scott

Tolerance can be good or bad, as others have stated.

Tolerance, however, is closely related to patience and forgiveness.

To me, “zero tolerance” is really satan’s message. It makes about as much spiritual sense as “three strikes and you’re out.”

I love it when schools adopt “zero tolerance” policies to, for example, being tardy. We take something that is not in the direct control of the student, who probably didn’t even drive himself or herself, and punish that student. I guess we just want somebody to beat up if a person comes in late, or we think that we can cause the child to go home and beat up the others at home so they will be more responsible in getting the child to school next time.

Zero tolerance says, "we don’t even know or care if this was you’re fault, you are going down; if you don’t like it tough. This is a Catholic institution, but we are preparing you for the “real world, not some place where we exercise patience or understanding or, God forbid, forgiveness.” Give me a break. The Bible teaches we cannot control the future; but we expect children to control the future and their family members or it’s curtains for them, no excuses. The real reason these sorts of policies get into place is for administrative simplicity. Kids are taught that punishment is not directly related to their sins at all, so it isn’t about right and wrong but about being caught. They are also taught that worldly discipline is often arbitrary and designed to be automated so no actual thought process need be put into it. Of course, some of these same policy makers crow about how “absolute” they are, but that’s another rant.

Alan

What views do the Gospels give of Jesus? Was he tolerant? If so, about what? Towards whom?:slight_smile:

[quote=savone]What views do the Gospels give of Jesus? Was he tolerant? If so, about what? Towards whom?:slight_smile:
[/quote]

It seemed He was pretty intolerant, if I recall correctly.

If a person was caught breaking a rule, He insisted that they be punished, no excuses because we have to Uphold the System of Rules which will be worthless if we let anybody get away with sin.

All have sinned, and all will be punished for it, if we only catch them. He did not believe in people being saved from the temporal punishment, because they might get the idea that if He let them get away with it, they might sin again. That would send the wrong message, so we can’t do that. Forgiveness and patience is strictly out, because that just leads to abuse of The System.

Not only that, but people who were miserable and sinned all the time were obviously non-conforming troublemakers, and they needed to be singled out for special harshness of treatment.

Oh wait a minute. Which “Jesus” is it you were talking about, the one they called Christ? Oh. Never mind. Who was I thinking of, Saul? Oh well. Good story wrong actor, I guess :rolleyes:

Alan

[quote=Other Eric]Hi kev7!

What would the alternative to tolerance be in real, practical terms? If tolerance is the process by which we learn to put up with someone we would otherwise dislike, why would this necessarily be a counterfeit by Satan? Isn’t it a subset of the Christian virtue of patience? Does the practice of tolerance somehow preclude praying for our enemies and loving our neighbor?

Perhaps, what you mean, is that you dislike the confusion of tolerance with acceptance.
[/quote]

Let me put it this way.

Jesus teaches us to love everyone. He also teaches us to reject sin and satan.

If you chose to tolerate someone for their racial, religious, and or cultural differences then you are not following the model christ set forth.

There is a big difference between tolerating someone and loving and praying for them.

We do not tolerate satan. We reject satan and we love our.
Neighbor.

I used to listen to the tolerance retoric proliferated by the media, but now I see it for what it is.

In other words, Satan would rather not see you change your heart. He would much rather see you stay the way you are. When he tells you to be tolerant of others you don’t have to change your heart. All you have to do is accept his evil in the world and practice pluralism and modern relativism. The message is very similar to that of Jesus but it is corupted and twisted.

When was the last time you heard the media say that we should love one another and pray for them?

Sorry, but I just don’t see jesus tolerating those who pursecuted him. I see him loving and praying for them.

[quote=pnewton]I do not know that it is reasonable to castigate a neutral word that has both positive and negative connotations. Obviously tolerance or sin is bad, but a mother tolerating her crying infant is a good thing.

Can you clarify the specific realm of tolerance you believe Satanic?
[/quote]

It is satanic when society suggests that we should learn to tolerate sin.

[quote=AlanFromWichita]Tolerance can be good or bad, as others have stated.

Tolerance, however, is closely related to patience and forgiveness.

To me, “zero tolerance” is really satan’s message. It makes about as much spiritual sense as “three strikes and you’re out.”

I love it when schools adopt “zero tolerance” policies to, for example, being tardy. We take something that is not in the direct control of the student, who probably didn’t even drive himself or herself, and punish that student. I guess we just want somebody to beat up if a person comes in late, or we think that we can cause the child to go home and beat up the others at home so they will be more responsible in getting the child to school next time.

Zero tolerance says, "we don’t even know or care if this was you’re fault, you are going down; if you don’t like it tough. This is a Catholic institution, but we are preparing you for the “real world, not some place where we exercise patience or understanding or, God forbid, forgiveness.” Give me a break. The Bible teaches we cannot control the future; but we expect children to control the future and their family members or it’s curtains for them, no excuses. The real reason these sorts of policies get into place is for administrative simplicity. Kids are taught that punishment is not directly related to their sins at all, so it isn’t about right and wrong but about being caught. They are also taught that worldly discipline is often arbitrary and designed to be automated so no actual thought process need be put into it. Of course, some of these same policy makers crow about how “absolute” they are, but that’s another rant.

Alan
[/quote]

this is not the kind of tolerance I am talking about.

[quote=lsburk]This thread would have been better served under the “Moral Theology” heading. I agree with the other posts in that I am curious as to how you define tolerance.

Scott
[/quote]

ok thanks. I’m new here so forgive me if I post in the wrong thread

[quote=kev7]Let me put it this way.

Jesus teaches us to love everyone. He also teaches us to reject sin and satan.

If you chose to tolerate someone for their racial, religious, and or cultural differences then you are not following the model christ set forth.

[/quote]

Racial?

let me clarify what I mean by tolerance.

The message of jesus is “Love your neighbour and pray for your enemies”

The message of satan is “Tolerate your neighbour and let them continue to sin”

[quote]

Why exactly did you include “racial” in your post?

[/quote]

The reason I included racial in my post was to make a point about people who are only tolerating those of other races. If you are doing that then you are not following the model that Christ set forth. You are following the tolerance message of Satan.

Jesus would haveus love our neighbour regarless of race. Satan would have you simply tolerate them.

The message I hear all the time on TV is you must tolerate people of other races, cultures, religions, and sexual preference.

That is an evil message.
[/quote]

[quote=kev7]It is satanic when society suggests that we should learn to tolerate sin.
[/quote]

Gotcha. I see what you are saying in regard to sin and tolerance as presented by the media. Let me give a different perspective.

Love of neighbor is an action, not emotion. Often we may not feel any affection toward people whom we are called to love. Tolerance may, in some cases, be the only action we have to express charity to our neighbor. In some circumstances, specific acts of charity may be required. In either case, we should not be judged too much by our emotions over which we have only limited control, as much as our actions.

I don’t like the way tolerance has been made to be the golden standard we should all strive for, and those who are not tolerant of the ideas of everyone else (i.e. aren’t moral relativists) are obviously narrow-minded bigots. Not all tolerance is bad, but I try to stay away from the term myself.

Instead, I use the word mercy. Jesus showed mercy toward everyone He met, which involves loving the person but recognizing and speaking up about their sins… leading them to a better life… leading them to God. He didn’t tolerate their sins or their incorrect beliefs. He never said, “That’s a nice idea. I think about it in a different way, but do whatever you like.” He was never afraid to speak up in love for the Truth in order to spread God’s word.

God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.