Tom Roberts, Senior Editor at the National Catholic Reporter

If you are like me, do you deeply resent those who have been given a gift and who earn their keep as an editor of a prominent Catholic Journal and then misuse their position and gift to betray the trust of their fellow Catholics and attack the very Church that supports them?

Here is Tom Roberts on the Church and homosexuality:

On the matter of homosexuality, the church claims to know the mind and intent of God so intimately and perfectly that its officials confidently pronounce that a whole category of humans who have a homosexual orientation are intrinsically disordered and are forever condemned to a life of sexual abstinence in order to remain within the community.

The Church does not condemn those who suffer from same sex attraction and does not call them “disordered.” But the Church does say that homosexual acts such as sodomy and anal sex are “disordered.” A big difference and Tom Roberts knows better than to spread this kind of disinformation and outright lies.

***Condemned to a life of sexual abstinence, Tommy!!! ***

Choosing abstinence can be a statement of personal integrity and an expression of strong self-esteem, not to mention of affirming one’s faith. Millions of people use abstinence to
[LIST]
*]Avoid premature sexual relationships
*]Avoid painful emotional situations for which they may not be prepared
*]Avoid unwanted pregnancy.
*]Avoid diseases.
*]Avoid the effects of a same sex attraction lifestyle (elevated rates of depression, suicide, STDs and HIV)
*]Affirm and heighten their faith through celibacy
[/LIST]

Well you get the drift here.

Recently Tom Roberts decided to take the Archbishop of New York, Timothy Dolan, to task for a post the Archbishop made on his blog about anti-Catholicism. I’ve brought together the post, Robert’s response (The ‘anti-Catholic!’ cry is a cheap, easy accusation) and some of my comments.

I’ve also provided a link where after you review all of the above you can address His Excellency The Most Reverend Joseph F. Naumann, D.D.

Who is he, you might ask. Well, having seen in a bio that Mr. Roberts lives in Overland Park, Kansas, I thought I might recommend to Tommy’s archbishop (The Most Reverend Joseph F. Naumann) that he have a sit down with Tommy and try to persuade him that his intemperate comments about gays, the homosexual abuse crisis, etc aren’t really helping ANYBODY or ANYTHING. Least of all Archibishop Dolan, who is doing a helluva job in my estimation.

Just a thought…probably worthless, I know, but it keeps me busy. You can find it all here:

payingattentiontothesky.com/2009/11/16/attacking-the-church/

dj

Quite to the contrary, I am grateful to Tom Roberts and the National Catholic Reporter. I support the NCR and other Catholic lay publications where ordinary Catholics-in-the-pews can get news and information that has not been censured by Bishops.

It’s true that many Catholics on the right get upset with NCR from time-to-time, but in my view that’s an example of shooting the messenger because one didn’t like what was in the telegram.

For the record, I read publications which are under the control of local bishops and those edited by lay people. I think it’s useful to read the news from every corner of the Church.

You are misinformed:

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. **This inclination, which is objectively disordered, **constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

Im not sure if I agree with you, It very clearly states that the inclination is disordered. Either way, what the the OP is trying to say (IMHO) is that the Church does not condemn them, but their acts.

Peace

They don’t call it “The National Catholic Distorter” for nothin’.

Even when the infomation is wrong and following it could put ones soul at risk?

It’s true that many Catholics on the right get upset with NCR from time-to-time, but in my view that’s an example of shooting the messenger because one didn’t like what was in the telegram.

As long as the telegram accurately relates catholic teaching there is no problem. if, on the other hand, the NCR wants to dissent from Church teaching they should take the word “Catholic” out of their name

For the record, I read publications which are under the control of local bishops and those edited by lay people. I think it’s useful to read the news from every corner of the Church.

What is most useful is to know what the Church teaches.

The catechism quote shows that the Church’s condemnation goes beyond their acts, applying even to their inclination.

So heterosexual sexual desire is “good” (if properly ordered, but obviously can be abused) but homosexual sexual desire is always “disordered” (bad).

That is the concept the editor was taking issue with.

He was also taking issue with homosexual behavior being condemned.

I don’t see much difference. We all have bad inclinations of some kind, and it’s right to condemn them. In the aggregate, we are all in the same boat.

Actually the editor went one step further and claimed that the church said the PERSON is disordered, not just that particular inclination. THAT is why folks call 'em the NC ‘Distorter.’ A person with an SSA is not defined by the SSA. They are, first and foremost, PEOPLE. No more so than an alcoholic (recovering or not) is defined by THAT disordered inclination. He is a PERSON. It has the potential to overwhelm all other aspects of their being, but this need not necessarily be the case.

So heterosexual sexual desire is “good” (if properly ordered, but obviously can be abused) but homosexual sexual desire is always “disordered” (bad).

No, your very quote shows that Tom Roberts either clueless or lying.

Note that the CCC states the the INCLINATION is intrinsically disordered. Mr. Roberts claimed that the Church states “that a whole category of humans”

Does Mr. Roberts not see that inclinations and humans are two distinctly different things.

Does he really think that an ‘inclination’ has personhood?

Either he is clueless or deliberately lying about the postion of the Church. Either way, his words carry no weight with me.

The OP is dismayed that the editor in question has betrayed “the trust of their fellow Catholics.”

The real question is how the heck the National Catholic Reporter ever gained the trust of their fellow Catholics!

For folks who know of that publication, it’s no surprise that they whine about clearly enunciated Catholic teaching.

Precisely and I cite the late Fr. Richard John Neuhaus’ interpretation of the Church’s teaching as well.

Sonny, I don’t see how the “shooting the messenger” phrase applies to this situation. Are you attempting to find some veracity in Mr. Robert’s observations? Which one and what do you find truthful in his assertions?

dj

[quote="surritter, post:12, topic:176735"]
The OP is dismayed that the editor in question has betrayed "the trust of their fellow Catholics."

The real question is how the heck the National Catholic Reporter ever gained the trust of their fellow Catholics!

For folks who know of that publication, it's no surprise that they whine about clearly enunciated Catholic teaching.

[/quote]

Maybe "trust" is a poor choice of words there. If you join a group of Yankee fans, you don't expect someone in your Yankee Journal publication to claim Kevin Youkilis is a better first baseman than Mark Teixeira. Doesn't one expect the same from a Catholic publication?

Why would one go out and spread lies and misinformation about the Church? Isn't "hate the sin but not the sinner" kind of a well-known Catholic teaching? Why would you say the bishops or "officials" of the Church pronounce "a whole category of humans who have a homosexual orientation are intrinsically disordered."

I can't believe Mr. Roberts can defend that sentence. No one can. It's not even plausible, given the merest scintilla of knowledge about the Catholic Church. How do you get it by fact checkers for publication? It's on a par with holocaust denial. Mr Roberts reply to Archbishop Dolan is filled with several other whoppers on this level.

I just don't get it. Bill P left me flabbergasted. He even cites the Catechism that explicitly denies what he claims it is saying. Doesn't it say quite clearly: "They (homosexuals) must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity." It speaks to an "inclination" in other places "behaviors" or "actions," not to the persons themselves.

"Blaming the messenger," asks Sonny? What the hey? That's a CATHOLIC MESSENGER? Gimme a break. Hey, shoot me instead, Sonny -- you'd be doing me a favor at this rate....

dj

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.