Tomorrow's Pope Petition to all Catholics

Before the priest gave the blessing on Sunday for mass to finish, he said that the Pope had asked that all Catholic Churches have confessions from 7 to 9pm. The reason was for us to be prepared for the birth of the King, Jesus.
Having said that, I do believe that we must confess as sinners as we wait for Jesus. But what got my mom and me thnking is why 2 days before the whole Mayan Prophecy. To be truthful I am not a huge believer in predictions and prophecies set forth by mankind. I know that my comments are contradictory, I just hope that I am reading too much into tomorrow’s Pope request and that 2 days later is December 21st day which some individuals believe is the end of the World

[quote="chero23, post:1, topic:308754"]
Before the priest gave the blessing on Sunday for mass to finish, he said that the Pope had asked that all Catholic Churches have confessions from 7 to 9pm. The reason was for us to be prepared for the birth of the King, Jesus.
Having said that, I do believe that we must confess as sinners as we wait for Jesus. But what got my mom and me thnking is why 2 days before the whole Mayan Prophecy. To be truthful I am not a huge believer in predictions and prophecies set forth by mankind. I know that my comments are contradictory, I just hope that I am reading too much into tomorrow's Pope request and that 2 days later is December 21st day which some individuals believe is the end of the World

[/quote]

I never heard about this request. When was it made?

I certainly do not believe that if the request was made, it had anything to do with the Mayan nonsense. I think you are reading something into the request that just isn't there. The Catholic Church does not adhere to or teach such things as when the end of the world will occur, etc. They stick to what Jesus teaches in the Gospels.

Call your local church. I have ben going the last wk to church to help out. I asked the Priest if every Catholic Church would be having confessions from 7 to 9. He told me yes, Tomorrow (wednesday) from 7 to 9, it was something the Pope requested.

[quote="chero23, post:3, topic:308754"]
Call your local church. I have ben going the last wk to church to help out. I asked the Priest if every Catholic Church would be having confessions from 7 to 9. He told me yes, Tomorrow (wednesday) from 7 to 9, it was something the Pope requested.

[/quote]

The local Archdiocese in my area has been having "Confession Services" since the day I got here. Basically a number of priests will converge on one parish in a given day to hear confessions from the faithful of that parish. Every parish gets a day during Advent. Nothing new here.

Also, I think you're reading too much into "why is it 2 days before the Mayan thingy". When else will they do it? Friday? Saturday? It is the weekend before Christmas, everyone's going to a Christmas party somewhere, fat chance you'd get people to come for Confession. Also, last minute Christmas shopping.

The whole Mayan thing is dumb. Just like the whole Y2K thing was a chance to make a quick buck.

Peace,
Ed

[quote="edwest2, post:5, topic:308754"]
The whole Mayan thing is dumb. Just like the whole Y2K thing was a chance to make a quick buck.

Peace,
Ed

[/quote]

:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

This has been done at this time of year at least the last few years in my area. Each parish participates.

=chero23;10148752]Before the priest gave the blessing on Sunday for mass to finish, he said that the Pope had asked that all Catholic Churches have confessions from 7 to 9pm. The reason was for us to be prepared for the birth of the King, Jesus.
Having said that, I do believe that we must confess as sinners as we wait for Jesus. But what got my mom and me thnking is why 2 days before the whole Mayan Prophecy. To be truthful I am not a huge believer in predictions and prophecies set forth by mankind. I know that my comments are contradictory, I just hope that I am reading too much into tomorrow's Pope request and that 2 days later is December 21st day which some individuals believe is the end of the World

No BOBY; absolutely NO BODY knoes when the end of the world is going to take place:D

So Help me God:thumbsup:

*Mt.14: 21:35 *[parts] For there shall be then great tribulation, such as hath not been from the beginning of the world until now, neither shall be He shall send his angels with a trumpet, and a great voice: and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the farthest parts of the heavens to the utmost bounds of them Amen I say to you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done. Heaven and earth shall pass, but my words shall not pass. [This from 2,000 YEARS AGO]

Then JESUS said THIS: Verse 36:"But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.” :)

I work at our cathedral parish and I am sure if the Pope made such a request our Bishop would have scheduled confessions. As it is we have confessions on Saturday at the regular time and two other times before Christmas, but none at night.

Every parish in the Diocese of Dallas will have confession tomorrow from 7 - 9 PM, as well, per order of our Bishop. I imagine his order comes from Pope Benedict’s request. I did not know about that request either.

I also belong to the Dallas archdioceses and that’s were our priest stated what the Pope had requested. I went on EWTN and didn’t see anything in regards to the Pope’s request on their homepage. I hope the word can be passed on about this. Like our priest said, let’s go confess as we await for the birth of our King, Jesus Christ
I went to the Vatican’s website and couldn’t find anything in regards to the topic. i did go to the Dallas Diocese and found the following about my post, for those who are interested.
cathdal.org/pages/news-item?r=TL0027X7HT&send_to=%2F
I also looked and the Diocese of Pittsburgh will have it. I know people from different parts are saying is something common around these times in their parish.

AD of NY had it on Monday from 4-8pm. They do it every year the week before Christmas and Easter though, so it's nothing new here.

Chances any person dying on the 20th is greater than the world ending on the 21st. If you are in sin, you need to go to confession no matter what the calendar date. Frequent confession is not for the end of the world but rather for the end of your earthly life, which I predict will happen sometime between 1 second after you read this and the next 70 years.....
That is why everyone should go to confession.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.