Tony Alamo

My fundamentalist aunt sent a booklet that was written by Tony Alamo, is anyone familiar with this person, the booklet written by Alamo was very hateful and contained a lot of falsehoods about the church

any info on Alamo’s background would be helpful

[quote=fcb2001]My fundamentalist aunt sent a booklet that was written by Tony Alamo, is anyone familiar with this person, the booklet written by Alamo was very hateful and contained a lot of falsehoods about the church

any info on Alamo’s background would be helpful
[/quote]

Well Loked him up on yahoo and got this and His Website.

The guy is an extreme anti-catholic wack job.:whacky::whacky:

A Quote from the site:

IF ROME’S ONE-WORLD GOVERNMENT, WHICH INCLUDES THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, CAN MURDER YOU BEFORE YOU REACH AGE 65 BY LACING YOUR TOBACCO, FOOD, AND WATER WITH CYANIDE GAS AND RADIOACTIVE NUCLEAR WASTE, THEY WILL SAVE TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS PER YEAR. THIS ONCE CONFIDENTIAL REPORT WILL SHOW YOU THEY ARE DOING IT!

Well since your aunt sent you something to read, send her something to read with you, Karl Keating’s book Catholicism and Fundamentalism. If you send her a copy, then discuss chapter by chapter you might be able to teach her something. :slight_smile:

I have tried with her, my fundamentalist aunt who attends an independent baptist church is a very hard person to have a rational discussion with, she has called me a pagan several times, my auntie sends me books and tracts that are published by Chick publications, she has also sent me the Alberto Comic series.

[quote=MariaG]Well since your aunt sent you something to read, send her something to read with you, Karl Keating’s book Catholicism and Fundamentalism. If you send her a copy, then discuss chapter by chapter you might be able to teach her something. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Ok fcb here is the scoop on Tony Alamo. First, I suggest you put the literature your aunt sent you where all garbage belongs - in the trash can. Tony Alamo was an entertainer in California until he had a conversion in the late 60’s. His adherents were known for a rather aggressive style of evangeliztion. In 1976 he moved his church to Alama, AK, the home of his wife Susan. The church worked with drug addicts and also had many business concerns. The people who worked in the businesses were not paid but received room and board, training and health benefits. Those who worked on the outside had to turn over their checks to the group. This lead to problems with the Department of Labor, and word from former members started leaking out at this time of mind control and being virtual slave. Tony Alamo lost the tax exempt status for his church from this and in 1994 he was sentenced to 6 years in prison for filing fraudulent tax returns. His wife died and she is still in AK where Tony believes he will resurrect her. After her death, he married two 15 year old wives. The teaching of the Alamo Christian Ceneter is basically fundamentalist. They are rabid anti-Catholics and believe that the Pope controls the different denominations (they are the one true organizations) and world politics. Stay away from this stuff!!!
:whacky:

[quote=fcb2001]I have tried with her, my fundamentalist aunt who attends an independent baptist church is a very hard person to have a rational discussion with, she has called me a pagan several times, my auntie sends me books and tracts that are published by Chick publications, she has also sent me the Alberto Comic series.
[/quote]

If she will not read Karl’s stuff then return anything she sends you unopened. She will get the message.

[quote=MariaG]Well since your aunt sent you something to read, send her something to read with you, Karl Keating’s book Catholicism and Fundamentalism. If you send her a copy, then discuss chapter by chapter you might be able to teach her something. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

DITTO, I just bought Karl Keatings book mentioned above. It has a blurb about Mr. Tony Alamo, and many other Anti-Catholics.

GET THE BOOK!

Good Morning Church

I am from Southern California, Tony Alamo’s old stompen grounds. I think he is still down there.

Anti-Catholic is an understatement. The guy is a real mental case. I mean a REAL mental case. I have seen him in action several times and he scared me.

One year he and his group showed up at the front doors of the Anaheim Convention Center during the SCRC Catholic Charismatic Convention. They were there when we came out at the end of a session. I had bought a lovely print of the Sacred Heart that I planned to frame for my home. One of these folks, maybe it was Tony’s wife, I can’t remember, grabbed the picture from me threw it on the ground and spat and stomped on it.
A lady told me she had a Rosary visible in a pocket in her purse, one of Alamo’s group, grabbed it and broke it.
There was such a oppressive, evil feeling coming from this group. I was so very happy that it was a Charismatic Catholic group because a few Priests called for prayer, right there on the steps and by the prayers it seemed they discerned some really bad spirits.
Once the prayers started, the Tony Alamo folks fled the place.

As an Arkansas resident (and Arkansas is “AR” non “AK” - “AK” is Alaska…), it is common to come out of work, the store, where ever and have Alamo literature strewn on the windshield of the cars… I remember when my boss was new to town and was first hit with an Alamo rag, he brought it into my office and I told him the whole story (showbiz, making those fancy boots and suits for the stars, moving to Alma, the run-aways, the restaurant - did have good food - the dead wife, prison, all that). He is a whack job, and his trashy papers should be burned.

Seems like another Bible Alone sect to the extreme…

Pio

[quote=robertaf] One of these folks, maybe it was Tony’s wife, I can’t remember, grabbed the picture from me threw it on the ground and spat and stomped on it.
A lady told me she had a Rosary visible in a pocket in her purse, one of Alamo’s group, grabbed it and broke it.

[/quote]

I would have called the police myself, But congrats on holding you temper (I assume:D).

i have bought the book already, and i also have the Usual suspects

[quote=Exporter]DITTO, I just bought Karl Keatings book mentioned above. It has a blurb about Mr. Tony Alamo, and many other Anti-Catholics.

GET THE BOOK!
[/quote]

Tony Alamo is not anti-catholic. If he were anti-catholic he would not risk his life to tell catholics the truth about salvation and the false teachings of the Vatican. It is well documented that the Vatican has killed many that have exposed their evil false teachings throughout history so anyone that risks their life to bring the truth to the catholic people is far from anti-catholic. They may be anti-Vatican and anti-false doctrine but not anti-catholic. More than two thirds of Tony Alamo’s worldwide congregation are former catholics so he surely is not against the catholic people, only the false doctrines taught by the Vatican. These things can be verified by the testimony of thousands which is freely accesable on the website www.alamoministries.com . People need to be for Christ, which is the Word of God, more than established religion. Religions are man made but salvation comes from God, the Lord Jesus Christ, which according to the Bible is “the Word of God.”

I’m anti-false doctrine too. That’s why I became Catholic:thumbsup:

You’re in my prayers.

In Pax Christi
Andrew

You say that you are ant-false doctrine but the doctrine of Christ say’s that “you must be born again in order to enter the kingdom of heaven.” Born of the Spirit of God. Nowhere in the doctrine of Christ (the Word of God) does God command anyone to become catholic! as you propogate. Therefore your theology is more appropriately anti-doctrine and pro-religion, which in essence is pro-false doctrine, or more specifically, anti-Word of God or anti-Christ, which will not ensure you entry into the kingdom of God and escape from hell. If your leader is teaching you these falacies then he is a false prophet. In fact if he was truly eminating the doctrine of Christ then he would not be trying to cover-up the pedophile priest scandal but would be trying to win them to Christ.

Hmmm…? These false teachings and dubious leaders you speak of are certainly not exclusively Catholic, a clear case of the proverbial throwing of stones.

I find that when dealing with fundamentalism, rational arguement is futile, and rationality is totally subjective. I’m not saying Catholics are totally innocent, but then again, who is?

No, false teaching and false prophets are by no means exclusively catholic, however they emminate from what God calls “the Mother of harlots” (the originator of every abominable thing on earth) which sits on the city of seven hills. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. If you don’t beleive the Bible then you are in the wrong arena. If there are no absolutes then just make up your own religion, after all religions are man made but salvation is of God!!! Those who have put on Christ (the Word of God) are innocent as Romans chapter 8 tells us that they walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit of Life, which is Christ Jesus. And yes, it is possible to be without sin otherwise God would never have commanded us to “be perfect”. What kind of God would command us to do something that was impossible? If you truly are in Christ and Christ is in you then you have the power to keep all the commandments of God. Otherwise Jesus would not have said “he that says he loves me and keepeth not all my commandments is a liar and the truth is not in him. And you know that no liar has eternal life abiding in him.” Be not deceived!!!

Okay, fair enough.

Let me just state my position though. From my experience I have found that the truth, be it from the Bible, or wherever, doesn’t necessarily reveal itself immediatly. I don’t know who this Tony Alamo guy is (his name alone makes me suspicious :slight_smile: ) but I do know he’s probably a waste of time and confirms my belief that I need to choose who I believe wisely, From my experience I’ve found that with a little careful scrutiny all that is said is not what it appeaed to be at first, most especially when it comes to scripture and everybody’s interpretation. All these claims of conspiracy have never held up, and they have never contradicted my belief in the Bible. Occasionally when something in the scriptures makes sense to me, I’m often moved and amazed by the simplicity of the message and perplexed by those who chose to distort it.

I also try and choose my spiritual mentors with wisdom, which often includes doubt. It is very easy sometimes to take what someone says at face value, like a slickly produced video or charismatic public speaker, but time and patience always has a way of revealing the truth. The problem with false prophets is they mix truth with the lies, and I often find myself alone and ridiculed when I doubt someones message.

Faith without doubt is superstition.

Dear ACDF;

Will you be kind enough to engage us here in a FAIR EXCHANGE of ideas? You see, we have all heard lots and lots and lots of anti-Catholic propaganda - obviously, you included. But, I believe that most of it is false and has been manipulated and twisted. I would like an opportunity to demonstrate my side of the story to you. And I will be happy to read and listen to anything you have that you feel would be helpful to me in clearing up what you believe to be my misunderstandings.

Can you be fair? And honest?

I noticed that ACDF had posted several posts earlier that could be considered pro Tony Alamo but they have all been deleted. Is this site censored to where only anti Tony Alamo messages are allowed? I have read about catholic censorship throughout the ages but am now seeing it firsthand. Truth needs no censorship!!! If the catholic church and it’s supporters truly hold the truth then why do they not allow free speech? Truth will prevail in the end whether censored or not so your censorship just shows that you don’t have the truth and are afraid of people seeing that if they are allowed open debate.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.