Tony Blair criticizes Vatican attitude toward gays

google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gdxKZ_a15d9ulz1mFPg5DkCFRQgwD97E5DIG0

“Roman Catholic leaders are out of step with ordinary believers in their attitude toward homosexuals, former Prime Minister Tony Blair said in an interview published Wednesday.
“Actually, we need an attitude of mind where rethinking and the concept of evolving attitudes becomes part of the discipline with which you approach your religious faith,” Blair said in an interview published in Attitude, a magazine aimed at gays.”

He goes on to say: "There’s probably that same fear amongst religious leaders that if you concede ground on an issue like this, because attitudes and thinking evolve over time, where does that end?“You’d start having to rethink many, many things. Now, my view is that rethinking is good, so let’s carry on rethinking.”

One of the goals of Blair’s Faith Foundation is to educate folks on religions other than their own.

What a sad statement from someone whom I admirely greatly and is a recently came home to Rome. He should have said, “Many ordinary believers are out of step with Roman Catholic orthodoxy (and traditional Christian teaching) in their attitude toward homosexuals.”

Why is it that so many people who should know better have this idea that the Church has “opinions” on hot issues just like an ordinary citizen? I can change my mind about tax policy. The Church cannot “change its mind” on traditional gender roles and marraige. The Truth is the Truth.

Gee, welcome to the faith Mr. Blair.

Seems like you learned nothing about it on your journey home…:cool:

doesn’t this hypocrite support abortion too??

Pray for Tony’s continuing conversion! Pray for me too!

The Catholic Church is consistent and True. Just like heterosexual people who are not married, homosexual people are called to chastity. (cf CCC 2359)

“Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.” They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.” (CCC 2357).

“Progressive and Liberal Minded” people are often just plain wrong!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

Mark

I don’t really like or dislike Blair…but what a brave stance for someone who converted to the fold…As far as the Church being unable to “change” its opinion…also know as dogma …theology…etc… It does so all the time…on issue great and small…all it takes is leaders willing to listen…At one time the Church stood by an abided the enslavement of Blacks…at one time it had no place for women on the alter…at one time…Wake up…A church to ne proud of embraces all forms of LOVE …a church that would not be dwindling into obscurity …Would not have ecommunicated homosexuals and yet Adolph Hitler remained a Catholic of Good Standing throughout the WW2. Change is Good …Change is inevitable and I wont go away because you condemn one very small part of who I am…A child of God same as you…So next time your at Mass it may just be a leper kiss you get at the sign of peace… -)

PAX

John

Oh PS to the previous poster !

**The sexual act is a gift of love ! **

I kinda think God would not have created something so wonderful and than wanted us to be ashamed of it…man did that…not God * Marriage *has only been a sacrament since the 12th Century Also in 1951 Pius 22 made it ok for Catholics to do the nasty just for FUN …provided no actual contraceptives were used !

So if ya let us get married than we can be as happy as all of you !

…Lighten up ! Solve a bigger problem poverty 's good…needs a lot of folks with enegry to work on it -)

Talk about the holier-than-thou attitude of the Left. Mr Blair sees himself as morally superior to not just the pope, but to the eternal teachings of the Catholic Church.

No, Love is a gift from God; true Love is truly God. The sexual act is one of the proper ways that love manifests itself between a man and woman when they are married. The sexual act outside of this relationship is a mortal sin. The Bible is very explicit in this. The Church preaches this Biblical teaching and adds the authority handed down by the Apostles.

Lust is ‘gift’ from Satan. It is almost as fun as love, but completely destructive to your soul.

You are not going to win this argument.

Where did the Church condone the slavery of Blacks??

And since when is the justification of sin Love? Its funny how everything that supports the lifestyle of the Left is somehow “love”. How convenient for them.

We have to remember the slavery in the OT is worlds different than what happened with the blacks.

It sounds like you have fallen for the liberal propaganda based on your post and it was rhetoric like that that caused the Anglican and Lutheran Church to schism and fall upon itself. It sounds like your trying to speak from the heart, yet scripture says the heart is decietfully wicked. Don’t always trust your feelings…that is one mistake alot of people get into.

JohnnyYank, you are in error. In the interest of fraternal correction, which should always be welcomed, I state the following:

As a Catholic, you are REQUIRED to believe in and abide by the Teachings of Holy Mother Church. On the issue of Homosexuality and Homosexual marriage I direct you to our Catechism (emphasis mine):

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that **“homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.”**142 **They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.
2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

As to sex:

2360 Sexuality is ordered to the conjugal love of man and woman. In marriage the physical intimacy of the spouses becomes a sign and pledge of spiritual communion. Marriage bonds between baptized persons are sanctified by the sacrament.

And as to marriage:

1601 “The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life, is by its nature ordered toward the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring; this covenant between baptized persons has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament.”

Now, Johnny Yank, do you agree with all these statements, in their totality, without alteration or conditions as are required of you as a Catholic? You can not claim ignorance of these teachings, as I have just shown them to you. If you persist in spreading the same message as before you are then an obstinate heretic and should seriously examine the state of your immortal soul.

He seems to support Britain’s current 24 week limit for abortions.
blogs.telegraph.co.uk/damian_thompson/blog/2009/04/08/tony_blair_wants_the_pope_to_rethink_his_line_on_homosexuality_what_about_blairs_line_on_abortion

II have already won…

I follow Christ’s most important commandments …Love The Lord God With All Your Heart and the second …kinda nice also,Love Your neighbor as thyself !

None of the "doctrine of the Church was written by God …it was indeed written and re-written by man…mainly ecumenical councils. .synods. .and Popes who …were actually not always infallible, One of just decided that. And as I have spoken with many priest …theologians and Catholic educators…I am not at all worried about the state of my immortal soul…jeez I am more worried about how to make this world a better place u…might try it sometime…The Church is an awesome experience …God is an amazing God…Again, I won’t try to convince you to see the richness in ALL He created …you won’t …you’ll just go look up more rules and dogma and condemn me. But I will not be scared off…I intend to fight for my church as watch it self distruct …choking
on out of step man made orthodoxy. closing its doors…losing its clergy…and then I am sure a new Catholic Church will rise stronger and more open and …will get back to what we Catholics are supposed to do …teach LOVE !

FYI

.I am not required to do anything ! Faith should not be a requirement…If YOU need all those rules to feel Catholic.Fine!..I do not and Christ embraced all and Condemned
no one …oh .wait he did …he got real pissed off at the zealots prostrating themselves with piety ,while forgetting their neighbor …Leper Kisses To You All !

FYI2

I do not support the left or the right…! I support smart choices ! Regardless of Party!

And to the poster who claimed OT Slavery was “different” than the African Amercan experience…Please explain how ? Was it kindler …gentler slavery?

In Old Testament slavery, the slave was never considered to be property, rather the master simply owned the work they produced.

In addition, slaves were generally to be given their freedom whenever a Sabbatical year occurred (every seven years)

OT slavery was more akin to what we now call ‘Indentured Servatude’ or more like how we consider prisoners who make license plates. The state doen’t ‘own’ someone in prison, but they do own the labor.

Uh,as I know people in jail committed a crime…the indented…whatever servant…simply was of a lesser position or race,…sounds like slavery to me…and damn,how thougtful a day off every 7 years…ugh! Forced labor is forced labor …not the product of it…if the master only owned the product…why beat and mistreat the producer! Cmon …it was immoral and its in the Bible…makes ya kinda wonder whio wrote what ! God created all men equal…bullies enslaved others …not GOD

You seem to be unfamiliar with the concept of indentured servatued. This was somewhat common during the Colonial era, and again at the Western expansion. A person would agree to work for another as a servant for a certain period of time in exchange for room, board and transportation. The person was never property

.sounds like slavery to me…and damn,how thougtful a day off every 7 years…ugh!

No, Freedom after 7 years, as in no longer a slave. And that was really the longest possible term, sabbatica years occured every 7 years. If a person was enslaved ( by debt, by war etc…) on year 6, they were released on Rosh Hashana the next year.

Also, a child born to slave parents was not considered a slave.

So not only is Tony Blair smarter than Thomas Aquinas, Robert Bellarmine, Peter Damian and the rest of the doctors of the church, so is Johnny Yank.

How blessed we are to be living at a time when we have so many able to correct the errors of our fathers in the faith!

*the gift does not lessen but reinforces the moral demands of love: *“this is his commandment, that we should believe in the name of his son jesus christ and love one another just as he has commanded us” (1 jn 3:32). One can “abide” in love only by keeping the commandments, as jesus states: “if you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as i have kept my father’s commandments and abide in his love” (jn 15:10)…

No damage must be done to the *harmony between faith and life: The unity of the church *is damaged not only by christians who reject or distort the truths of faith but also by those who disregard the moral obligations to which they are called by the gospel (cf. 1 cor 5:9-13). The apostles decisively rejected any separation between the commitment of the heart and the actions which express or prove it (cf. 1 jn 2:3-6). And ever since apostolic times the church’s pastors have unambiguously condemned the behaviour of those who fostered division by their teaching or by their actions.38
veritatis splendor

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.