Too light with the sacred?

Anybody see the headline on this week’s Parade Magazine (a twenty-page-or-so family insert in the Newspaper)? It was for a section dealing with different pie recipes, and it read “In Pie We Trust.”

Another time I was driving along and saw a signboard outside of a popular pizza joint reading “Cheesus Loves You.”

Is it just me, or do these things cross the line? I’m thinking of emailing Parade Magazine about this. I don’t think these would have flown at all in our country a half-century ago. (I’m only almost thirty, so I wasn’t there, but I get a sense of how things were). If I brought this up to most people, I know they’d say, “Have a sense of humor.” I’m curious to see how people who take their faith seriously react. What do you think? Are they yet more signs of an increasingly paganized society, or harmless jests?

I believe it is “crossing the line” because many have lost their sense of the sacred.

It is good to have a sense of humor - but that seems off.

That puts the ball in my court to not be ashamed of my faith, and to talk about it when the opportunity presents itself.

I don’t mind “In Pie We Trust.” But the other one? They’ve crossed the line there.

[quote="Dorothy, post:2, topic:262736"]
I believe it is "crossing the line" because many have lost their sense of the sacred.

It is good to have a sense of humor - but that seems off.

That puts the ball in my court to not be ashamed of my faith, and to talk about it when the opportunity presents itself.

[/quote]

Agreed.

Thank you for your responses. Here is what I sent to Parade:

Don’t get me wrong; I have a sense of humor and enjoy a good laugh as much as the next person, but it seems to me that this weeks Parade headline - “In Pie We Trust” - was in poor taste (no pun intended). I’m only twenty-nine, but it seems that there was a time in the not-too-distant past in our country when our national motto was considered too sacred to be material for a joke. Our country in recent decades has become more and more secular, and religious sensibilities have largely gone out the window. I was disheartened to see Parade going along with this trend, and hope it does not continue to do so. Am I the only one who feels this way?

On hindsight, I shouldn’t have ended my letter that way - I should have ended by acknowledging that there were people besides me who feel the same way, as evidenced in this thread. Whoops!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.