Too much intercessory prayer?

I have faith my prayers make a difference but I want to know what others think.

The October “Word Among Us” is about intercessory prayer and it got me wondering - Is it possible to ask too much or too often? One of the articles says to be persistent in prayer, as did yesterday’s Gospel reading. When I pray throughout the day it tends to be whatever thoughts occur to me. For example, my priest was away at a workshop this past week and each time I thought of him I said a short prayer for his safety and growth in Christ, today since he should be back now I thank God for his safe return and growth (because I trust God answered my prayers). I also try to pray for Pope Benedict, friends, family, my parish, or anyone/thing anytime I think of them/it.

I know its quality not quantity that matters but it seems like my intercessory/asking prayer is quantity and my praise prayer is quality (I hope its quality at least). Also my prayers rarely vary except when I feel a particular need to pray a specific thing.

So, how 'bout it am I just annoying/amusing God because of my lack of faith or are my prayers really making a difference?

Thank you and Christ’s peace be with you.

What matters is that you are praying. Just don’t let it become mechanical. All prayer is good.

I don’t know if rosary is part of your daily prayers. To me, rosary is the most powerful intercessory prayer.

Here is what I think:

• When we pray the rosary, not only we are interceding for the person, we also invite mother Mary to intercede.
• The Apostle’s Creed affirms our belief and let us reflects the truth.
• The “Our Father” brings us into the family relationship. It affirms our willingness to do God’s will. We ask for forgiveness, and we forgive others. We present our needs and we receive protection.
• The Glory Be glorifies God.
• The Fatima prayer asks for forgiveness of our sins and prays for the holy souls in purgatory.
• The mysteries help us to walk with Jesus for all the important incidents of his life. The meditation brings us closer to the Lord.

The Rosary is so encompassing. If we say it with all our hearts, both quality and quantity are covered. :slight_smile:

How do you know if prayer is mechanical and what is the danger there of?

Look into your heart and you will know. When you pray, do you feel connexion with God? Does it feel as though He is with you? Or are you simply talking to air, have the same prayers become unmeaning to you? Just look around and think about it. I know that doesn’t make much sense, but if you look into your heart you will know.

Well put and I do know what you mean. Thanks for reminding me of God’s presence :D.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.