Top 10 Cities With the Most Evangelical Christians in America

The Public Religion Research Institute’s American Values Atlas (AVA) is an interactive map that explores various religious, demographic, and cultural trends in the United States. Each year they conduct 50,000 phone interviews and make the data available via the AVA. Religious affiliation can be viewed by religions tradition or denomination and sorted by region, metro area, and state. In addition to different types of Christianity, information can be viewed on smaller U.S. religious traditions such as Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism.

Below are the top cities with the greatest percentage of white Evangelical Christians.

worldreligionnews.com/religion-news/christianity/these-are-the-top-10-cities-with-the-most-evangelical-christians-in-america

Evangelical Christians? That term might be as ridiculously redundant as Traditional Catholic.

ALL Christians (yes, us Catholics, too!), are by very definition Evangelical. Those who are not, are not following the most basic teachings of Christ, and therefore could be argued to be not very Christian at all.

ALL Catholics are Traditional. We follow the teaching of the Catholic Church today, which granted, have changed over time, but the very tradition of the Church includes reform. Those who reject change on–oh, let’s say, liturgy–because they don’t like the idea of any reform, especially liturgical reform, and claim on form of an authorized form of the Mass is “better” than the other. It might be argued that neither is particularly Traditional or Catholic.

I wish they had spelled out the criteria more clearly. There is presumably a population cut off excluding smaller cities.

The conservative Evangelical Christian movement has been growing in New York City among Whites, Latinos, Blacks, and Asians by leaps and bounds in the past ten years or so. I wouldn’t be surprised if New York is among the “top ten” in the near future. Further, New York City has an interesting history of both liberal and conservative Evangelicalism. Of course, the city has a lot of every other religious and non-religious belief as well.

There was a time when “evangelical” was fairly well defined. I still think it applies to groups such as the Southern Baptists or Assembly of God, but there are so many Baptist and Pentecostal groups, as well as others, who diverge enormously from traditional evangelical positions on doctrine and morals.

Furthermore, there are huge numbers belonging to newer “non denominational” churches that defy classification. They tend not to have “liberal” or “conservative” doctrine, they rather have little doctrine at all. They don’t really rule out anyone. What little doctrine they do have tends to be evangelical.

Then there are historic “liturgical”, baby-baptizing churches, such as LCMS, ACNA or the Anglican Continuum, who are now very much separate from other parts of their faith tradition that are deeply mainline, or ultra liberal. They very much believe in supernatural realities, and some fixed dogmas. they would be much more “evangelical” than the Baptist convention (denomination) that recently flipped over on abortion and same sex marriage.

I think C. S. Lewis said it best when he argued that the “High” church people, not just in Anglicanism but across the board, should join forces with the “Low” church people. Their common enemy is the “Broad” church, which dominates much of Christianity today. Even though the non denominationals seem harmless, I think in the long run “evangelical lite” leads to eventual abandonment of all Christian beliefs in the long run.

Columbus Ohio?
Seriously? :eek:

Curiously, neither Oklahoma City nor Tulsa are on that list.

A lot depends who publishes the various “lists”.
This is kind of why I don’t particularly care for the post and run articles.
They seldom produce a lot of fruitful discussion because people will debate the veracity of the content. :shrug:
:blush:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.