Top 10 List / Catholic Theologians

Lets let Peter Kraft get us started.

1. Scott Hahn …“I know of no more authentic Biblical, more reliability Catholic, or more exciting theologian in the world today than S. Hahn.” , …1998, Peter Kreeft

:popcorn:

Brant Pitre is pretty good - I love his book and CD from lighthouse on Jesus and the Jewish roots of the Eucharist!

St. Thomas Aquinas!!

Can we count John Paul II as a theologian?:confused:

Meaning those that walk the earth today?

Easy.

Pope Benedict XVI
Pope Benedict XVI
Pope Benedict XVI
Pope Benedict XVI
Pope Benedict XVI
Pope Benedict XVI
Pope Benedict XVI
Pope Benedict XVI
Pope Benedict XVI
Pope Benedict XVI

Fr. Robert Barron
youtube.com/user/wordonfirevideo
youtube.com/user/wordonfirevideo2

Doubtful …maybe, surely Benedict tho …

Ok …will allow, but was first looking for today’s living ones. Should of so stated/ stipulated…

Hans Kung!

I kid, I kid.

Concerning excellent theologians who are still part of the Church Militant:

Pope Benedict XVI
Fr. Robert Barron
Dr. Scott Hahn
Dr. Brant Pitre
Dr. John Bergsma

If the concept of theologian is expanded to include Christian philosophy then I would add Dr. Peter Kreeft.

All 6, for Hall of Fame…:slight_smile:

Were ‘Theology of the Body’ and his numerous encyclicals not theological enough for you???

Hans Urs von Balthasar - one of the few even Cardinal Ratzinger admired.

Well, …yes, amazing Encyclicals, but I suspect were a group effort…with a lot of input, language from Benedict, when he was working in support role to JP2.

Perhaps, but …dead 25 years & very controversial. His Kenotic doctrine and belief that Christ was TOTALLY abandoned by the Father, and BECAME sin, for our sakes !

When I have occasionally brought up these ideas here on Forum …I’m routinely flogged…as teaching Heresy, by the Apologetics elders.
But, Benedict 16 was a big admirer. :slight_smile:

20th century
Avery Dulles
Yves Congar
Karl Rahner
Joseph Jungmann
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Henri de Lubac
Balthasar
Schillebeeckx

So very many throughout history! …In the 20th century I have to go with Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange (A giant of a mind that not many Catholics know about). Another top theologian in my opinion is Dietrich Von Hildebrand.

:thumbsup: Once we learn all we can from him, we can move on to the others.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.