Top 50 Catholic High Schools of 2006

Top 50 Catholic High Schools of 2006

9/27/06

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (Sept. 27, 2006) –The Catholic High School Honor Roll today announced its third annual selection of the best 50 Catholic secondary schools in America. The Honor Roll provides a powerful resource to parents and educators by acknowledging those schools that best maintain high academic standards, uphold their Catholic identities, and prepare students to actively engage the world.

To see a list of the top 50 schools, along with lists of the top 25 schools in each category, please go to www.chshonor.org.
Nearly 1,300 Catholic high schools were invited to apply to the Honor Roll by completing surveys that measure academic excellence, Catholic identity and civic education. With this high level of competition, inclusion on the Honor Roll indicates outstanding success in each of the disciplines examined.

This year’s list includes 20 new honorees and 12 schools that have earned recognition each of the past three years. Honorees range from newcomer diocesan schools such as Bishop Machebeuf Catholic High School in Denver to repeat honorees such as Mount Carmel Academy in New Orleans, a Carmelite school that had a miraculous recovery following Hurricane Katrina. The state of Texas led with six schools selected, followed by California with five schools. Overall, 25 states are represented on the Honor Roll, including new states Colorado, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and North Carolina. Eleven different religious orders sponsor honorees, including the Dominicans, the Legionaries of Christ, the Jesuits and the Norbertines.

Advisory board member Gerard Bradley, professor of law at the University of Notre Dame Law School, said the Honor Roll serves an important purpose. “High schools that are fulfilling well their mission to form students morally and intellectually deserve to be recognized,” he said. “The Honor Roll brings recognition to these outstanding schools."

“The Honor Roll has certainly developed a greater awareness among Catholics that excellence in Catholic education means more than just excelling in academics,” explained Honor Roll consultant Kevin Schmiesing. “The best schools also have a vibrant Catholic identity and prepare students for fruitful vocations in politics, business, and the Church.”

The Catholic High School Honor Roll is an independent project of the Acton Institute, an international research and educational organization. The Honor Roll was produced in consultation with a national advisory board comprised of Catholic college presidents and noted Catholic scholars. For more on Acton Institute, please go to www.acton.org.

catholicexchange.com/vm/index.asp?vm_id=3&art_id=34561

Hmm…interesting.
I dont know if I totally agree with their list though…
I would think I would see Regis High School, NYC or St. Peters Prep, NJ on the list but it would seem that they did not get invited to participate.:frowning:

I also do not agree with their list. I see the school on it from my state, and knowing some inside information about this school about how several teachers operate and run their classrooms, it should NOT be on there.

As a Regis alum, I too expected it to be listed, but didn’t find it in any of the listings since 2004.

CONGRATS!!!
Yeah Regis is one of the BEST Catholic Schools in NYC…heck you even have to be Catholic to attend:) …my sons best friend attends (9th grade) and my son goes to Prep (over the river)

I don’t see Aurora Central Catholic, either.

Montini Catholic had, I think, 4 - 6 students who had perfect 36s on their ACTs which I don’t hear about very often (actually, I never hear about that). And I would agree, that they missed the boat on this list. Quigley South for practicing their faith should be on the list or even Northridge Prep.

Relax. There are only 50 schools on this list. There have been nearly that many that have been rightly praised in this thread as being very good schools. I myself can think of a couple. Maybe we should just be grateful that we have so many good quality Catholic High Schools in this country.

Yes! My tuition dollars at work :). Glad to see son’s high school is on the list. I might (proudly) add that our elementary school was just awarded as a Blue Ribbon School for outstanding scores.

Ditto. I’m not going to trash the choices from my mother state here… but I am suprised by who was included - neither the most academically notable nor widely viewed as being, shall we say, of one mind with the magisterium… (or even of similar mind for that matter…)

Eh… lists are lists. In the end I hope they make good use of the publicity to attract students I guess.

I am not surprised that my alma mater is not on the list.
That’s all I have to say about that.

Hmmm Diocese of Erie eh? heheh

Hooray! Our kids’ high school made it! Read it and weep -
Antonian College Preparatory High School, San Antonio TX.
I’m bustin’ my buttons!

Interesting, the only 2 schools from Ohio, I have connections to. My mom went to Tiffin Calvert, and the principal of Cardinal Stritch, Fr Reinhart, grew up in my hometown parish.

too bad there aren’t any from around where I live now, although in 8 years, maybe…

I did not go to school in the Diocese of Erie. I went to HS in the Diocese of Miami (Florida)

Ditto.I went to a co-ed Catholic high school in the southern reaches of the Archdiocese of Chicago from 1990-1993.

(I’m not mentioning the name; I’ve given you enough info to track it down if you’re interested.)

Very strong academically. Nationally recognized marching band and football team. Catechesis…well…:rolleyes:

In the past few years I discovered that much of what I was taught in religion classes were largely along the lines of “liberation theology”. One of the reasons I left the Church after leaving that high school was my (mis)conception that in order to be a good Catholic, my political views had to be, in essence, communist.

My worldview is substantially right of center. If my Church insisted that I adopt a communist worldview, then I would simply find another Church. That Dr. Charles Stanley my Methodist grandmother listened to regularly seemed like a decent fellow…

In the 2-1/2 years I was there, we never once had a Mass, we never said a Rosary, we never studied Scripture, and the number of times we prayed as a school I could probably count on one hand. Many of the teachers were openly pro-choice. I learned very little of Church doctrine, but a lot of how as Catholics from middle-and-upper-middle class homes we had an obligation to pursue “social and economic justice”, particularly for women, racial minorities, and the poor, and how we had to help preserve our environment from corporate exploitation. These were the good ol’ days when global warming was called “the greenhouse effect”, when we were all in an uproar about a hole in the ozone layer over Antarctica, when a man named George Bush was president and fought a war to defeat Saddam Hussein, and the governor of Arkansas was looking to succeed him.

Wait a minute, those last two bits are true again today. :wink:

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.