Top Intel Dem: ‘No evidence’ for Benghazi ‘stand down’ claim

The Hill
By Rebecca Shabad
September 05, 2014, 12:19 pm
The top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee on Friday said new allegations that U.S. commandos were ordered to “stand down” during the 2012 attack in Benghazi, Libya, aren’t supported by findings from House and Senate investigators.
Five commandos who survived the Benghazi attack, which claimed the lives of Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans, made the allegation in a new book, accusing the CIA station chief of delaying a rescue mission.

Read more: thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/216787-key-dem-stand-down-order-in-benghazi-doesnt-match-congressional#ixzz3CYnEgWTt
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

Earlier this year Greta Van Susteren w/ Fox News wrote (1/16/14):
I remembered a disturbing phone call from a good friend in the Obama Administration. I have known this friend for years. The call was a short time after 9/11 (maybe Oct. 2012?) In the call, my friend told me that my colleague Jennifer Griffin, who was aggressively reporting on Benghazi, was wrong and that, as a favor to me, my friend in the Administration was telling me so that I could tell Jennifer so that she did not ruin her career. My friend was telling me to tell Jennifer to stop her reporting. Ruin her career?
In 20 plus years, I have never received a call to try and shut down a colleague – not that I even could – this was a first. Here is what I know: Jennifer is a class act…experienced…and a very responsible journalist. One of the absolute best in the business – no axe to grind, she just wants the facts.
I told my friend before I go to Jennifer telling her she is wrong, I need proof she is wrong, strong proof and you need to be specific - what are you saying she is getting wrong? We went around and around — including the statement again that this was just a call as a favor to Jennifer and me to save Jennifer’s career from reporting incorrect information. I got no proof. Zero. I smelled a rat. Favor to me? Hardly. My friend was trying to use me. I feel bad that a friend did that to me, tried to use me for a dirty reason. I knew then — and it is now confirmed by BIPARTISAN Senate Intelligence Committee — Jennifer was getting her facts right. I think it is really low for the Administration to stoop this low.
breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2014/01/18/Admin-Source-Told-Van-Susteren-To-Tell-Colleague-To-Halt-Benghazi-Coverage

NY Times: nytimes.com/2014/09/05/world/africa/new-book-says-cia-official-in-benghazi-held-up-rescue.html?_r=2

CAIRO — Five commandos guarding the C.I.A. base in Benghazi, Libya, in September 2012 say that the base chief stopped them from interceding in time to save the lives of Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and an American technician during the attack on the diplomatic mission there.

In a new book scheduled for release next week and obtained by The New York Times, the commandos say they protested repeatedly as the base chief ordered them to wait in their vehicles, fully armed, for 20 minutes while the attack on the diplomatic mission was unfolding less than a mile away.

“If you guys do not get here, we are going to die!” a diplomatic security agent then shouted to them over the radio, the commandos say in the book, and they left the base in defiance of the chief’s continuing order to “stand down.”

Media Matters for America, a progressive media group that was started w/ help from Hillary
and Bill has a piece out :Fox’s Newest Benghazi Conspiracy Immediately Debunked By Fox Guest

mediamatters.org/blog/2014/09/04/foxs-newest-benghazi-conspiracy-immediately-deb/200654

But on Friday Greta once again talked about the pressure from the White House to drop the Benghazi investigation.

Greta said, Friday Sept 5th on “Off the Record” that she was called by the Obama White House and told to push FOX reporter Jennifer Griffin to drop her Benghazi investigation.

“Since day one of Benghazi FOX News has been aggressively investigating. It hasn’t been easy. It’s been more like pulling teeth to get answers from the Obama administration. The Obama administration’s behavior post Benghazi has been weird. Like they’re trying to hide something. First that silly story about that video. Remember Susan Rice on all the Sunday talk shows? Even President Obama kept talking about the video for weeks. So FOX continued to press for information… A few weeks later when FOX news reporter Jennifer Griffin said she was told there was a stand-down order at Benghazi, I got a weird call from the Obama administration trying to pressure me to get Jennifer to back down on her report. I thought the call from the Obama administration was dirty. Incidentally, I don’t control my colleagues and they don’t control me.”*
thegatewaypundit.com/2014/09/greta-van-susteren-white-house-pressured-me-to-get-fox-reporter-to-drop-benghazi-investigation-video/

Democrats do not see any evidence.

That says more about the politics of the Democratic party than it does about the existence of evidence.

No one with a smidgeon of intelligence would believe this claim. This is a brazen lie. There is only one possible reason that our military might was not on the scene quickly to obliterate those terrorists: Obama or his surrogate ordered them to stand down. :doh2:

Well put.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.