Top NYC Catholic Tourist spots to see

Hi- Plan on visiting Midtown with a toddler. Can you name the top Catholic sites we should check out while we are there? Thanks!

The first one that comes to mind is St. Patrick's Cathedral. It's a really beautiful church. I went to mass there once when I was visiting NYC. As far as any other Catholic sites, I'm not too sure I can help you :-)

[quote="leighland, post:1, topic:200110"]
Hi- Plan on visiting Midtown with a toddler. Can you name the top Catholic sites we should check out while we are there? Thanks!

[/quote]

St. Patricks is one. I would also recommend the Cloisters in the north part of Manhatten, a side museum run by the Metropolitan Museum of Art. In fact, I would recommend the Met because it contains many historical Christian pieces of art.

ny.com/cgibin/frame.cgi?url=http://www.metmuseum.org/collections/view50.asp?dep=7&frame=/frame/museums.html

Seeing that you live in the DC area, will you be visiting New York by train or bus? There is a Padre Pio shrine behind Penn Station that holds several relics of the saint. The shrine is located inside the Church of St. John the Baptist, which is run by the Franciscans.

shrine.padrepio.us/padrepioshrine/

The church is one block from Penn Station, and some of the Chinatown buses literally stop in front of it. The shrine is small, but seeing it could be convenient if you’re already passing by.

[quote="Ailina, post:3, topic:200110"]
St. Patricks is one. I would also recommend the Cloisters in the north part of Manhatten, a side museum run by the Metropolitan Museum of Art. In fact, I would recommend the Met because it contains many historical Christian pieces of art.

[/quote]

I always wanted to visit The Cloisters, but I never made it there because it's so far out of the way (even by subway). I think I'll visit next time I have a car in the city, because it seems much easier to visit by car than by other modes of transport.

You have a toddler? Go play in Central Park.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.