Top papal aide says Vatican ‘worried’ about Trump’s refugee order

cruxnow.com/church-in-the-usa/2017/02/01/top-papal-aide-says-vatican-worried-trumps-refugee-order/

Top papal aide says Vatican ‘worried’ about Trump’s refugee order

Breaking what had been a broad silence on U.S. President Donald Trump’s controversial executive order imposing a temporary ban on admitting refugees from seven majority-Muslim states, a senior aide to Pope Francis on Wednesday said that the Vatican is “worried” about the decision, and also objected to Trump’s proposal for a wall along the U.S./Mexico border.

“Certainly there is worry, because we are messengers of another culture, that of openness,” Archbishop Angelo Becciu, the Vatican’s deputy secretary of state, told TV2000, an Italian Catholic television station that had asked about Trump’s order.

Asked about the presidential promise to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, Becciu said that, “Pope Francis insists on the ability to integrate those who arrive in our societies and cultures. All Christians should be strong in reaffirming this message.”

**Pope Francis’s decision to remain quiet heretofore on an issue that is clearly close to his heart was partially explained by American Cardinal Joseph Tobin in a recent interview with Catholic News Agency.

In it, the Newark prelate said that in recent days, during a visit to the Vatican’s new Dicastery for Integral Human Development, Father Michael Czerny, a senior official of the department, told him “the Holy Father doesn’t feel the need to intervene because he believes the bishops, not just one bishop, but the bishops of the United States are making an adequate response, a Gospel response.”**

The responses from the American bishops to Trump’s decision have been ample, and the bulk of it critical, with Chicago’s Cardinal Blase Cupich calling the order a “dark moment in American history.”

“The executive order to turn away refugees and to close our nation to those, particularly Muslims, fleeing violence, oppression and persecution is contrary to both Catholic and American values,” Cupich said in a statement.

Pope and bishops have been clear on this.

So are his flock.

independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/vatican-worried-trump-immigration-muslim-ban-a7557621.html

**Vatican says it is ‘worried’ by Donald Trump’s immigration policies

The Vatican has said it is worried about Donald Trump’s moves on immigration, in the Holy See’s first comment since his executive order banning travel into the United States by citizens of seven majority-Muslim countries.**

cruxnow.com/church-in-the-usa/2017/02/01/top-papal-aide-says-vatican-worried-trumps-refugee-order/

**Top papal aide says Vatican ‘worried’ about Trump’s refugee order

Breaking what had been a broad silence on U.S. President Donald Trump’s controversial executive order imposing a temporary ban on admitting refugees from seven majority-Muslim states, a senior aide to Pope Francis on Wednesday said that the Vatican is “worried” about the decision, and also objected to Trump’s proposal for a wall along the U.S./Mexico border.

“Certainly there is worry, because we are messengers of another culture, that of openness,” Archbishop Angelo Becciu, the Vatican’s deputy secretary of state, told TV2000, an Italian Catholic television station that had asked about Trump’s order.

Asked about the presidential promise to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, Becciu said that, “Pope Francis insists on the ability to integrate those who arrive in our societies and cultures. All Christians should be strong in reaffirming this message.”

Pope Francis’s decision to remain quiet heretofore on an issue that is clearly close to his heart was partially explained by American Cardinal Joseph Tobin in a recent interview with Catholic News Agency.

In it, the Newark prelate said that in recent days, during a visit to the Vatican’s new Dicastery for Integral Human Development, Father Michael Czerny, a senior official of the department, told him “the Holy Father doesn’t feel the need to intervene because he believes the bishops, not just one bishop, but the bishops of the United States are making an adequate response, a Gospel response.”

“the Holy Father doesn’t feel the need to intervene because he believes the bishops, not just one bishop, but the bishops of the United States are making an adequate response, a Gospel response.”

Amen.

Amen

GOOD!! Maybe if we can get the Vatican to also be worried about climate change and the environment, Russia about our willingness to defend democracy, Planned Parenthood to worry about the future of abortion, the Federal bureaucracy to worry about the number of do little if anything jobs, and a myriad of other special interests to worry about their pet pork barrel projects, we’ll finally get something done in this country.

Only Nixon could go to China, only Reagan could bring down the Evil Empire and the Berlin Wall, and maybe someone like Trump can get us moving in a sensible, rational, justified by the facts direction on abortion, immigration, global warming, terrorism, the economy, the loss of American jobs, and a few more big time concerns.

It seems like a whole lot of you don’t understand how Washington works. If you want a million, you ask for two, go back and forth, and finally make a compromise on the million you wanted in the first place. Not too hard to understand.

My two cents.

This doesn’t exactly surprise me given as one of the articles said, it is an issue close to the heart of the Pontiff, whom of course Catholics believe is the Vicar of Christ on earth.

This thread is deafeningly quiet I see.

I noticed the same thing :shrug:

And you’ve even given them the opportunity to respond to the Pope both here and in Catholic News. :slight_smile:

Yep, that’s the reason why :smiley:

I’m not surprised they are worried. They probably get their info from CNN. As Jeffrey Zucker pointed out CNN controls the international news market. They get to shape the opinion of foreigners. I can’t imagine why anyone would be worried about the US taking a pause, even very long pause, from accepting immigrants.

Not responding to another attempt to use the Pope as a weapon. Just Disgraceful, really. I guess this is the low road yall have chosen now. Sad, very Sad

The pope thinks this, and agrees with the US Bishops - the US bishops aren’t getting international news.

So linking to an article from a trustworthy Catholic News source about a statement made by a high-ranking Vatican official who is one of Pope Francis’ closest aides is a “disgraceful” weaponization of the Holy Father? :confused:

This isn’t fake news you know.

U.S. Franciscans have denounced it as well:

US Franciscans Speak Out on Immigration Ban

The recent actions of President Donald J. Trump regarding the treatment of immigrants and refugees entering our country have been troubling to a wide ranging group of citizens across the United States. As Franciscans, we are morally outraged by and resolutely denounce the January 27, 2017 Executive Order addressing the U.S. immigrant and refugee admission program.

Considering this heritage and in solidarity with our immigrant and refugee brothers and sisters, we Franciscans commit ourselves to:[LIST]
*]Advocate for the withdrawal of the January 27 Executive Order;
*]Prepare to be communities that offer hospitality to our refugee brothers and sisters; and
*]Continue to reach out to and deepen our commitment to solidarity with our Muslim brothers and sisters.[/LIST]

They may be watching CNN’s domestic news. It’s all the same. Regardless, I’m not sure what principle is at issue to cause anyone worry. Worry is a very nondescript word. For instance I’m not worried that the US under Trump continues to carry out bombing missions. I’m deeply disturbed and disgusted by it. That is because I don’t think it is right to engage in these modern warfare tactics. I don’t know if any Catholic bishops share my opinion about these acts which cause death, not inconvenience. I’ve not heard any criticism of this policy.

Wow these mental gymnastics. “Clearly the pope and bishops must be misinformed.”

:frowning:

I posted earlier today regarding the Executive Order in what it entails.

No entry of people from the seven nations mentioned.

No refugees permitted for 120 days from any country,

An indefinite ban on Syrian refugees.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.