Top papal aide says Vatican ‘worried’ about Trump’s refugee order
Breaking what had been a broad silence on U.S. President Donald Trump’s controversial executive order imposing a temporary ban on admitting refugees from seven majority-Muslim states, a senior aide to Pope Francis on Wednesday said that the Vatican is “worried” about the decision, and also objected to Trump’s proposal for a wall along the U.S./Mexico border.
“Certainly there is worry, because we are messengers of another culture, that of openness,” Archbishop Angelo Becciu, the Vatican’s deputy secretary of state, told TV2000, an Italian Catholic television station that had asked about Trump’s order.
Asked about the presidential promise to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, Becciu said that, “Pope Francis insists on the ability to integrate those who arrive in our societies and cultures. All Christians should be strong in reaffirming this message.”
**Pope Francis’s decision to remain quiet heretofore on an issue that is clearly close to his heart was partially explained by American Cardinal Joseph Tobin in a recent interview with Catholic News Agency.
In it, the Newark prelate said that in recent days, during a visit to the Vatican’s new Dicastery for Integral Human Development, Father Michael Czerny, a senior official of the department, told him “the Holy Father doesn’t feel the need to intervene because he believes the bishops, not just one bishop, but the bishops of the United States are making an adequate response, a Gospel response.”**
The responses from the American bishops to Trump’s decision have been ample, and the bulk of it critical, with Chicago’s Cardinal Blase Cupich calling the order a “dark moment in American history.”
“The executive order to turn away refugees and to close our nation to those, particularly Muslims, fleeing violence, oppression and persecution is contrary to both Catholic and American values,” Cupich said in a statement.