Top ten Catholic "places"

Any suggestions for a top ten list of Catholic “places”? They can be the site of apparitions, or whatever. The Vatican, of course, but specifically inside the Vatican, St. Peter’s Basillica. Others?

The Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City!

I’m counting the entire Vatican as one thing, otherwise you’d have St. Peter’s Basilica, St. Peter’s Tomb, the Sistine Chapel… the list would go on and on…

So, with that:

1. The Vatican (Rome, Italy)
  2. Jerusalem (Israel)
  3. Nazareth (Israel)
  4. Shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes (France)
  5. Shrine to Our Lady of Fatima (Portugal)
  6. Shrine to Our Lady of Guadalupe (Mexico)
  7. Notre Dame (Paris, France)
  8. Santiago de Compostela (Spain)
  9. Cathedral of Toledo, Spain

After that, it gets tougher. Certainly there are some very famous Catholic Churches (and former Catholic Churches). Possibiliites include:
St. Marks, Venice
Cathedral of Florence
Cathedral of Pisa / Leaning Tower
Cathedral of Seville
Hagia Sophia
Cathedral of Cologne
Sagrada Familia (Barcelona)

You could also argue the various places that Paul journied and that were centers of the early church. Ephesus, in particular, would be a possible candidate, due to the presence of the Virgin Mary, St. Paul, St. Timothy, and others…

Surely Bethlehem and the Jordan River would also have to be among the top 10 alongside Jerusalem and Nazareth.

If we’re talking formerly Catholic sites (such as Hagia Sophia) as well as currently Catholic ones then I’d add Westminster Abbey in London.

Gah, how could I forget those… of course, you’re right.

In no particular order:

Marytown, Libertyville
St Peter’s Cathedral, Rockford
St Peter’s in the Loop
St Mary Oratory, Rockford
St Donatus, Iowa
NIU Convocation Center, Dekalb
St Mary, Woodstock
St Priscilla, Chicago
St Adelbert Cemetery, Niles
The Little Way Catholic Bookstore, Crystal Lake

These are all in the USA lol :rolleyes:

Oh, you must include Rome in general. Rome, the Eternal City. It has so many places including the Vatican (and all its treasures). Here are some of the places (including the major basilicas):
Holy Stairs: according to tradition the staircase leading once to the prætorium of Pilate at Jerusalem, hence sanctified by the footsteps of Our Lord during his Passion.
St. John Lateran Basilica: the cathedral church of Rome and the official ecclesiastical seat of the Bishop of Rome, the Pope, the only Archibasilica
St. Paul Outside the Walls,
St. Mary Major Basilica,
Santa Croce in Gerusalemme: The relics enshrined at Santa Croce in Gerusalemme in the Chapel of the Holy Relics are: A large fragment of the Good Thief’s cross; The bone of an index finger, said to be the finger of St. Thomas that he placed in the wounds of the Risen Christ; A single reliquary containing small pieces of: the Scourging Pillar (to which Christ was tied as he was beaten); the Holy Sepulchre (Christ’s tomb); and the crib of Jesus; Two thorns from the Crown of Thorns; Three fragments from the True Cross; One nail used in the Crucifixion; The Title of the Cross, discovered in the church in 1492. The fragment shows the word “Nazarene” written in Hebrew, Latin and Greek.

other places
the Catacombs,
Colosseum

Rome has so many treasures, you could almost make all ten to be in Rome alone :slight_smile:

Of course. Just as I imagine your top ten is probably weighted in favor of Australia. And please don’t roll your eyes at me, it’s rude. I would be interested in knowing what places in Australia are considered to be of significance to Catholics there and would gladly read read your list without rolling my eyes at you.

Oh, I need to amend my list. I forgot the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in Washington D.C. That would push The NIU Convocation Center out of the top ten. And I suppose St Mary Church in New Haven, CT should edge out *The Little Way *as well.

Oh yes, I love the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in DC. I think it is great to have a USA only list for those of us in the USA to see what we have close or what we have on our way somewhere, or just what we can go visit on a road trip.

My dad was an electrical engineer and worked on the shrine in the late 50’s or early 60’s. My grandmother called it “Neil’s church” :wink: . —KCT

Cool! I love seeing all the Virgin Marys from around the world on the bottom floor of “Neil’s church” :slight_smile:
When I went I took so many pictures, but only a few came out.
Here is a picture of an Asian Virgin Mary I thought was very pretty:
[ATTACH]1811[/ATTACH]

BTW, if I am not mistaken, she is Our Lady of Good Health, aka Our Lady of Vailankanni from India :slight_smile:

If you are visiting Alabama,

1. EWTN

2. The Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament

3. Ave Maria Grotto

just to name a few…

The ancient ruins of Paul’s travels in Greece and Turkey :thumbsup:

Well, I don’t know about a top 10 world-wide, but there are two national shrines in Michigan that are very much worth visiting–I’ve been to both and love to visit when I can. They’re great sites as mini-pilgrimages for me.

–National Shrine of the Little Flower in Royal Oak, MI (Happy Feast Day today, St. Therese!!)
shrinechurch.com/

–Cross in the Woods in Indian River, MI
crossinthewoods.com/

Other cool places I’ve been include World Youth Day pilgrimages (sort of a pilgrimage on a world-wide tour) and some of the holy sites that led me to–I really enjoyed Chartes and Sacre Couer in France.

Hmmm–this thread made me think of the book 1000 Places to See Before You Die. Perhaps someone here could write a 1000 Catholic Places to See Before You Die.

For a very pretty place to visit, consider visiting the National Shrine Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes in Emmitsburg, Maryland. It is the oldest known replica of the revered French shrine, dating to about 1875 (the original Lourdes apparitions were in 1858). The Grotto was proclaimed a Public Oratory on December 8, 1965by Lawrence Cardinal Shehan, archbishop of Baltimore.

Calvary

Actually my top ten favourites are around the world, with none being in Australia :rolleyes:

My own personal top 2 for pilgrimage:

ISRAEL (The Holy Land) The centre of the world. LOVE IT:) One of my biggest dreams is to see the Jewish people fully reconciled with the Catholic Church and embracing Yeshua. If you meet the Israeli people you will love them and pray for them more and we can bring the Second Coming to take place sooner…

Medjugorje, Bosnia - this place has Mary in action… Going there made me decide to become Catholic a few years ago.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.