Top Ten Reasons Why the Kindle Won’t Be an iPod for Books

Re: “Can’t put old books on it”

With the Sony PRS line, the ability to on-board render PDF means you can scan and make image-file PDF’s (MS Word: put the trimmed and cleaned up scans into a word doc, then export to PDF.) which, while huge, can be read on the Sony. (And the Kindle DX.)

More and more is being released in various ebook formats. The Sony is about the largest in terms of overall compatibility.

Native on the PRS600:
[list]*]BBeB (Some DRMed)
*]Sony LRF/LRM; some are DRM, some are not.
*]ePub (used by Adobe and MANY others)
*]RTF (Microsoft Rich Text Format… most word processors can import/export RTF…)
*]TXT (ASCII text.)[/list]

Plus graphics formats:
[list]*]PNG
*]JPEG/JPG
*]GIF
*]BMP[/list]

And audio:
[list]*]mp3
*]AAC non-DRM[/list]

With MS Word, I can convert:
[list]*]MS Word DOC and DOCX (And Sony’s software will trigger this automatically for DOC and DOCX documents when loaded with Sony’s computer-side management software.)
*]anything I can import into word I can export to RTF and/or PDF…[/list]

And with Calibre (freeware 3rd party), I can convert:
[list]*]HTML to LRM/LRF
*]Text to LRM/LRF
*]RTF to LRM/LRF
*]RSS to LRM/LRF
*]PDF tp LRM/LRF[/list]

more formats, no wasted space for the keyboard.

As to the power issue… it would be pretty easy to add a thin-film solar panel to the back… when not in use, put it face down in the light… and let it charge off the sun.

Heck, I’ve an idea for a good aftermarket add-on for the sony… a cover with a membrane keyboard and a solar panel. Serves as a cover and solar charger when closed, and when set up and plugged in, serves as an external keyboard…

I am hoping to get a Kindle or Sony Reader for Christmas!

I LOVE to read, especially in bed or when traveling and it would be great to have lots of books with me in a small lightweight reader.

I need reading glasses now and I would rather just increase the font size as needed rather fall asleep with my glasses on. Because of this, I think I may prefer the larger sized Kindle (about the size of a magazine page) so that there is still enough text on the page once I increase the font.

On the other hand, the Sony does seem like it would be easier to get more inexpensive titles? Also, I’m not sure I can get Kindle’s downloading service at my house (my friend’s Kindle didn’t work here).

So, I’m going to check out the Sony at Best Buy (another disadvantage of Kindle is you have to order it from Amazon, and can’t play with it till you buy it) and see if it will work for my eyes.

But I still love books and still plan to buy and read them too!

If you’re going to buy a kindle, ask yourself why?

Kindle advantages:
Keyboard
Wireless delivery via 3G cell network

Sony advantages:
More formats
History of more rugged devices
no intrusive “we can remote delete your loaded books”

Honestly, tho’, if you don’t limit yourself to the official hardware branded stores, you can get less expensive ebooks from a number of places.

For example, Star Trek novels are available on scifi.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?filters=0_42110 prices vary from $4 to $20.

Baen sells ebooks rather inexpensively, no DRM, multiple formats. baen.com

When you buy the Sony Reader they give you a hundred free eBooks most are the Classics.

Here’s a link to the eBook store:
http://ebookstore.sony.com/

What I like about the PRS 700 is the touch screen and I can take it outside and have no screen glare. It also has a backlight but I don’t use it too much I have a .99 cent clip on lights I use. I can read in bed and it doesn’t keep the wife awake. What is also great is you can type in your own notes which I think is great for students.

I don’t know too much about Kindle but I did notice when new books come out most Sony eBooks are cheaper that the paper copies.

I bought mind out of the PX they had the Kindle also but I would rather purchase a eBook and download it to my computer then to the Reader which is a drag and drop. I also back up my computer to an external hard drive so I do have multiple backups.

Now I did lose the stylus the first week, totally my fault but I really don’t need it when I do a search, go to, or type on it, the screen keyboard is big enough I can use my finger you can also turn the screen ninety degrees which does help because I do have a Star Trek The Next Generation Technical Manual on it.

I really don’t have any complaints with it.

WOW! You know I forgot about BAEN eBooks I have all the Honor Harrington eBooks on my computer at work. I wonder if I could download them to the Sony Reader?

go back to your baen account, and download the LRF or LRM format. That’s a BBeB format… Sony’s native format!

Then just drag them into your reader.

Thank you.

Kindle whispernet is more available than wifi and I use the basic web browser on it in places where there’s no wifi.

I can read the same book on three devices (iPod touch and either Kindle) and it auto-syncs my current place if I switch to reading on another device.

I love the Kindle and it’s got some superior features to the Sony eReader, but I think now is the time for Amazon to get the Kindle into some brick and mortar stores. The early adopters would order online but everyone else wants to try hands-on first before buying. The Sony eReader has a display at Staples, I noticed recently.

I understand that social interaction with Kindle and notes/clippings/bookmarks has started but I haven’t gone looking for it yet. That will be necessary for the college use that is being piloted at five universities. I think virtual book clubs would be great too. Time for this to go social.

Kindle will be the iPod for books as long as iPod is not the iPod for books. Apple’s cooperation with Amazon signals their intention not to prioritize this project. Makes sense for a content provider to also provide the technology. The competition could easily come from B&N or Google eBooks friendly devices.

I’m a master at file conversion and document prep so I can put anything on the Kindle. I’m a guru. :cool:

Amazon changed their policies not to auto-delete, and I’ve kept my Orwell with notes and highlights and bookmarks. :thumbsup:

Kindle has already missed the window. They priced too high too early, and have gotten too much bad press too consistently.

They also lag feature-wise in terms of ebook formats.

If anyone is gonna break open, it’s likely to be plastic logic, with their 7.5x10" screen, MS Office unconverted file display, and whispernet, and if they come in on target, about $350 pricetag for their first gen.

The second gen line, in screen sizes:
Plastic Logic Reader
Kindle DX
PRS-2121, larger sized Illiad.
iRex Illiad
Kindle2, PRS600
PRS300

The PRS300 might be a breakout. $200 (large impulse buy range), size of a paperback (fits shirt pockets, comfy to hold), wide format range (Same as PRS-505). It’s down to iPod prices. Like the iPod, it reads most standard formats. And it will be fairly rugged. I got to play with a 300 last wednesday, a display unit. It looks GREAT. It feels great. It uses the same OS as the 505… just on a smaller screen.

(Generally, Sony readers have been perceived as more rugged than Kindles. I know my PRS505 is rugged. I know that drops like mine survived are the kind of drops kindles are claimed not to have survived by angry kindle users.)

My issues with the Kindle are simple:

1. I don’t own the book. I cannot loan it out, swap with a friend and so on.

2. It can be deleted by remote this happened with a certain copy of 1984. Just imagne if someone decides your books are not proper for you to have DELETE.

Good for you. Doesn’t help the millions who are not.

On the other hand, their EULA for the OS, as of last friday, 2 Oct 2009, gives them the right to do several untoward things:

1. examine the contents remotely
  2. shut down machines used for illegal purposes remotely.
  3. report content.
  4. disable individual content.
  5. disable 3rd party applications

This means that, by using the kindle, you’re agreeing to let them violate your 4th amendment rights to due process.

Further, a number of legal things look illegal. My GMing notes for a Traveller game could easily look like real plans to rob a bank, or to make assaults on a government building. For the Serenity RPG, it is even more likely.

Likewise, the Baen Webscription license specifically allows sharing the file with immediate family. But, unless one KNOWS that, someone seeing me hand my wife a card full of books might just email amazon and go “He’s sharing ebooks!”

Further, their EULA means I can’t legally put any student records on the device; federal law says student records must eb on secure machines, specifically including attendance, grades, and behavior. Given the ability to make notes, etc, having an e-file of seating chart for annotating who did what is a great thing (I’ve considered it… and did it on my Palm T-E. That PDA, however, isn’t working due to dead connectors…)

Besides, any EULA that grants permission to brick the device for adding applications… goes too far.

You don’t buy a Kindle. You buy a revocable license to use a kindle.

Book Advantages

1. tried and true technology
  2. stability of format
  3. ownership is a great thing
  4. easy to operate
  5. easy to store (the format won’t disintegrate in 5 years)
  6. cheap to make
  7. doesn’t require power
  8. easy to pick up and put down
  9. losing a book isn’t a major catestrophe
  10. exceptionally portable

This is one of those situations in which we’re trying to make a toaster act like a television. Technology needs to find something that really needs punking, not the book.

Why would you prefer being forced to rely on wired connection to a computer than being able to download over a wireless network? I don’t understand that. I have used all 3 methods ( kindles whispernet, my wifi network and wired) and the beauty of whispernet is that you can get data anytime, anywhere and are not dependent on being near a computer.

By the way, you can download kindle books to your computer and transfer them over usb if that is your thing.

I noticed that article says that you have to buy content to put on e readers. Actually they are compatible with created documents in various formats. So you can take content you create on your computer or download from the internet with you on the go.

They are all open domain and available on the internet for download in formats compatible with all available e reader devices. You aren’t getting anything that isn’t already easy to get for free no matter which device you buy. This isn’t a reason to buy one device over another.

Whispernet is a liability. Remote accessibility is undesireable in anything I put work docs on. Amazon’s remote reading of the kindle (as shown by deleting people’s copies of 1984) means a lack of security. And just about any wireless access device has the ability to be remotely read.

In a word: security.

And any computer can be hacked and read, and yet here you are in the internet.

. . . I forgot to mention: my book is wireless.

It uses no batteries.

Books are often cheaper than $9.99 downloads.

Also, good insulation properties in extreme situations.

I also don’t have work documents on this machine.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.