Considering that this is the 5000th thread, lets discuss Jesus feeding the 5000.

I love this miracle of Jesus. I often feel like there is little difference I can make on earth. It can be hard to figure out what God wants me to do, or how I can serve Him. When I read this reading again last weekend and heard it in mass, I thought that if I truly offer all I have up to Jesus–my few loaves and fishes–that He can do his work on this earth through me… and feed thousands! It seems impossible, and I don’t understand it, but I know it is possible through Him.

Pete

[quote=batteddy]Considering that this is the 5000th thread, lets discuss Jesus feeding the 5000.
[/quote]

Jesus feeds 5,000 for the same reason that their are 5 loaves with the 2 fishes.

“5” = the Five Type = “Christ.”

“10” = the Ten Type = “very much.”

So, 5,000 people on the mountain = 10 x 10 x 10 x 5 = “very, very very much Christ,” probably intending to mean “very, very, very much Christ[ian].”

“5” loaves would make them “Christ bread” = the Real Presence.

Why were “2 fishes” served with the “Christ bread”?

Well, “2” = the Two Type = “Church.”

“Fishes” are usually “damnable souls” in the “sea of damnable souls.” However, Christ is frequently portrayed with sin symbols, because He is “He-Who-did-not-know-sin-Who-was-made-to-be-sin.” See 2 Corinthians 5:21. So, in Jonah, Jonah being swallowed by the fish = Christ “becoming sin.” In Tobit, we see the fish coming up and trying to remove his dirty feet = taking away his sins. In the story of the feeding of the 5,000, we see the people eating the actual flesh of the Christ fish.

But why are there “2” of them? Again, “2” = “Church.” So, “2” fish probably represent Christ flesh from the Church.

They are served together because it is another case of Identification by Juxtaposition – they are laid side-by-side in the same story because we are being told “the Christ bread = the flesh of ‘He-Who-did-not-know-sin-Who-was-made-to-be-sin’ from the Church.”

At the National Scout Jamboree, Cardinal McCarrick said the Mass for about 5000 people. The Gospel reading? The feeding of the 5000. I laughed when I figured out what reading it was. The imagery was too perfect. 5000 people, sitting, in a big open field, waiting to be fed. Fed by the same bread, the bread of life.

Beauty takes a humorous form at times.

-ACEGC

just concluded VBS today with a program for parents, highlight of the show was a song about this miracle, which affirmed that tho the little boy did share his food willingly, Jesus performed a real miracle, and the song, more than just a kid’s jingle, really hammered that point home. since that was last Sunday’s scripture, and a key for this week’s program, it gave us a dress rehearsal for our plans to incorporate lectio divina (small group method) in all our RE programs, and to my mind, proves we can do it effectively even with small children.

Also like Michael Card’s song about this passage “Make me a Miracle Too.”

[quote=puzzleannie]just concluded VBS today with a program for parents, highlight of the show was a song about this miracle, which affirmed that tho the little boy did share his food willingly, Jesus performed a real miracle, and the song, more than just a kid’s jingle, really hammered that point home. since that was last Sunday’s scripture, and a key for this week’s program, it gave us a dress rehearsal for our plans to incorporate lectio divina (small group method) in all our RE programs, and to my mind, proves we can do it effectively even with small children.

Also like Michael Card’s song about this passage “Make me a Miracle Too.”
[/quote]

Must have been ‘Kingdom of the Son’! I love that song.

Looks like we are going to have 5000 threads AGAIN!!!

Yay!!

I wonder what happened to the other ones. Must have been purged to save space.

Where do you see the thread number?

I’m hungry.

Actually, it was 5,000 men. When you add the wives, and the children… probably more like 15,00 - 20,000.

I heard a sermon once where the priest explained that this miracle wasn’t a miracle at all. That actually what Jesus did was to inspire those that had food to share with those who did not. In the end there was enough for everyone.

I was always uncomfortable with that.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

[quote=Sugar Ray]I heard a sermon once where the priest explained that this miracle wasn’t a miracle at all. That actually what Jesus did was to inspire those that had food to share with those who did not. In the end there was enough for everyone.

[/quote]

I’m uncomfortable with that interpretation, too. Thankfully, I’ve never had to hear it in a homily. As a matter of fact, our pastor debunked it a couple of weeks ago when this reading appeared in the Liturgy of the Word.

I will never understand why a priest would feel the need to resort to the “they were inspired to share their food” argument. Don’t they believe that Jesus really is who He said He is? Jesus is the Son of God, and the second person in the Trinity, so why is it so hard for anyone to believe that Jesus could perform a real miracle?

Crazy Internet Junkies Society
Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag

How do you know this is the 5000th thread? I don’t see any way to determine that.

[quote=Sugar Ray]I heard a sermon once where the priest explained that this miracle wasn’t a miracle at all. That actually what Jesus did was to inspire those that had food to share with those who did not. In the end there was enough for everyone.

[/quote]

I’ve heard that too. Unfortunately, that priest is fighting with 200 years of Tradition that says otherwise. The feeding of the 5000 has ALWAYS been considered a precursor to the Eucharist.

Anyway, I think it’d be a bit anticlimactic for the message of this miracle to be, “Share.”

God bless.

There is a thread somewhere around here that addresses that issue. One of the most important reasons is that the feeding of the 5,000 is a prefiguration for the Eucharist.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.