Torture Devices

I saw a Facebook post titled Medieval Chrisian Torture Devices, which had pictures of a Judas Chair, The Rack, Coffin (not the burial box), Wooden Horse, Guillotine, then the last one was a joke (maybe not by their opinion) The 700 Club.

How does the Church explain these things?

reference also: wn.com/medieval_christian_torture_devices

It was bad people doing bad things.

It is pretty obvious that Guillotine is neither “Medieval”, nor “Christian”, nor a “Torture Device”. It was proposed (and widely used) during the French Revolution, and it was meant to be a humane way to execute someone.

I guess that shows how reliable the whole list can be expected to be…

If, after that, you are still interested in the topic, feel free to look at tofspot.blogspot.lt/2016/04/the-pear-of-anguish.html or medievalists.net/2016/03/20/why-medieval-torture-devices-are-not-medieval/.

The guillotine was a virtually instantaneous method of execution, last used in France as late as 1977. Capital punishment was abolished there in 1981.

Do you believe that every person saying they are a Christian is one? ??? Or that every person calling themselves a Muslim is one? Or that every person calling themselves Jewish is one? Even Jesus said there are those like this when he said Luke 6:46 “46"Why do you call Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? 47"Everyone who comes to Me and hears My words and acts on them, I will show you whom he is like…”

Also, Matthew 7:21
"Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

James 1:22
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.

Their existance should be used as a perpetual warning, zealotry, for any cause, good or bad is very wrong. When the medieval inquisitors built these devices, they thought they were furthuring Gods work, they were wrong. Yes, it was a sad time for the Church, but it shouldn’t be denied, and it should NEVER be repeated!

I think it’s a bit of a misnomer to call these “Christian” torture devices. Torture was an approved method of justice in ye olden tyme. Secular authorities were the ones that used these. It’s my understanding that the issue is that Church authorities were often appointed to secular posts.

Being force fed the american election every day for what feels like an eternity knowing there are more months of it to come has to be the worst torture ever devised.

It will end soon enough. Hillariously.

Get ready to laugh hard for eight years, it’s easier than crying.

Back to the OP, the Church (via the Papal States) operated a guillotine until 1861. So it’s not so simple to say “the Church never did such things”.

ICXC NIKA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.