Total consecration to Mary and confession

Hi, I hope to do the Total Concecration to Mary this Lent, starting Ash Wednesday and concluding on The Annunciation, which this year is March 26th, a Monday. Would it be OK to do the confession on the preceding Sunday or even Friday, since I’m unlikely to be able to go to confession on Monday unless I book in advance?

Or, alternatively, I could start this Tuesday (today/tomorrow depending on your timezone :slight_smile: ) and end on Sunday March 25th which is the usual date of the Annunciation.

I’m guessing since it’s a private devotion there is a little leeway. Any thoughts?

I started my consecration process today,ending on the 26 th of March.According to my consecration booklet,an examination of conscience prior to beginning is all that is required.Do you have the St Louis deMonfort booklet?

I know it’s last minute but if I wanted to do a consecration to Mary over lent where would I find a booklet by Wednseday?

I sent for mine through the website:wwwmyconsecration.org., You can request a packet.:slight_smile:

I have the book True Devotion to Mary. I seem to recall it calls for confession and hearing mass on the day of consecration.

I tried doing it once before but stopped since i didn’t feel prepared enough. 33 days of readings and prayer is heavy. Especially the readings from The Imitation of Christ… :hmmm:

That does sound daunting! The booklet I mentioned from St Louis de Monefort is a lot more approachable.All the daily prayers and scripture readings are contained in this little booklet. :slight_smile:

I was consecrated this past December 8, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, a Thursday, after having confessed on the prior Saturday, the 3rd.

As an aside, my daughter also had a funeral Mass and was buried on the Feast of the Assumption, August 15, 1996. The Church was not supposed to do funerals on a solemnity or a day of obligation, but Our Holy Mother intervened. :wink:

Regarding the preparation, because of my schedule, I planned about 45 days of preparation instead of 33. I wanted to pray in earnest and not just say the prayers for the sake of saying them. So I took 45 days to prepare and was glad I did.

Some of us from our parish went to the Monastery of Our Lady of the Holy Spirit in Conyer’s Georgia where one of the monks, Fr. Anthony Delsi, held a “Consecration Day.” He celebrated Mass, during which we read and signed the act of consecration, and then placed the act of consecration on the altar for the Liturgy of the Eucharist. Two of us were newly consecrated, and about five others renewed their consecration.

A Fransciscan Priest now in Brazil on a mission, had recommended consecration to me, and suggested that the best translation of St. Louis Demontfort’s book was “True Devotion to Mary with Preparation for Total Consecration” as published by Tan Publishers.

Since then I have purchase “God Alone” which is a collection of the Saint’s writings.

I would recommend not rushing it, not trying to just get it done, but instead getting a copy of True Devotion to Mary, Preparation for Consecration, and a copy of The Imitation of Christ by Thomas Kempis if you don’t have it - he preparation does include reading select chapters from Imitation of Christ. If I had to do it over again, I would take four or even five months. I would read The Imitation of Christ, then True Devotion, then I would reread True Devotion slowly while I did the preparation over a 60 day period.

Personally, I am going to repeat the process slowly again either this spring/summer or though the fall.

I wouldn’t rush it or do it last minute. As JohnPeter stated, the material is a bit heavy, not at all similar to modern writing. It takes time to get through. Spiritually, you are giving your entire life to Our Holy Mother as a slave. You are giving up all of your merits and good works, which would normally apply to your own salvation - giving them to Mary - for her to use and distribute for the sanctification and salvation of others as she sees fit. This is not something to enter into lightly, and it is something that grows within me every day, now only two months out.

Take your time. Get the books. Read slowly and pray, pray, pray… God will wait. He is patient.

-Tim-

Thanks Tim, good advice. I think I need to spend more time with the material this time :slight_smile:

Dear JohnPeter,

Yes, St. Louis de Montfort speaks of “leeway” himself (although not using that exact word). If I were you, I would begin today! In fact I did begin today, please see my post HERE.

There are many suggested ways of enhancing our preparation for consecration but when you read St. Louis De Montfort’s actual words, he is simple and direct. If you have not read his treatise, True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary this link will take you to the online version. My post also gives a link for the day by day preparation with suggested readings and prayers to help. I hope many persons will be consecrating themselves, or re-consecrating themselves to Jesus through Mary on the Feast of the Annunciation. :slight_smile:

If you have a Catholic shop in your area they may have them. You can also order them through amazon.com.

There are also several websites that have the daily readings and prayers posted online.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.