Totus Tuus

A few weeks ago I read that someone heard the last words from JPII were “Totus tuus.”

An article extensively published the quote:

The former papal secretary (Dziwisz) said the last words he heard the pope utter were “Totus tuus,” the pontiff’s Latin motto dedicating all of himself to Mary, mother of Jesus.

Now, the news is reporting the official Vatican report is JPII last words were “Let me go to the house of the Father,”

I found the Totus Tuus web site which explains that phrase is to: "motivate you to declare “Totus Tuus” to Christ, that is, “Totally Yours.”

Which is it? Is the phrase used to dediate one to Christ, Mary or is it up to the individual?

Hi Maranatha,

I believe that Pope John Paul II’s motto referred to the entire line: “Totus tuus ego sum, et omnia mea tua sunt” which means “I am all yours, and all that I have is yours.” This phrase can be found in True Devotion to The Blessed Virgin, by St. Louis-Marie de Monfort, who was addressing it to Mary.

This would be the general understanding of the the motto.

Does that help?
VC

[quote=Verbum Caro]Hi Maranatha,

I believe that Pope John Paul II’s motto referred to the entire line: “Totus tuus ego sum, et omnia mea tua sunt” which means “I am all yours, and all that I have is yours.” This phrase can be found in True Devotion to The Blessed Virgin, by St. Louis-Marie de Monfort, who was addressing it to Mary.

This would be the general understanding of the the motto.

Does that help?
VC
[/quote]

An even longer version would be, “I am thine, and all that I have is thine, most loving Jesus, through Mary, Thy Holy Mother.”

Maranatha and EENS,

Upon further reflection, and a glance through de Monfort’s work, I think that the phrase “totus tuus” admits of some ambiguity.

In fact my orginal post was somewhat ambiguous. It seems that de Monfort used the idea of “I am yours” with respect to both Jesus and to Mary. As well as stressing “to Jesus through Mary”, De Monfort did not hesitate to suggest we can also say to Mary “I am yours.” In fact, he seems to indicate that when we do so we imitate Christ.

What think you both?
VC

Interestingly enough, it looks like de Monfort attributes the original quote to St. Bonaventure!

In the following quotes from True Devotion you can see De Monforts double usage.

VC

[size=2]179. Blessed is the man who has given everything to Mary, who at all times and in all things trusts in her, and loses himself in her. He belongs to Mary and Mary belongs to him. With David he can boldly say, “She was created for me”, or with the beloved disciple, “I have taken her for my own”, or with our Lord himself, “All that is mine is yours and all that is yours is mine.” [/size]

1. Since you have now given yourself completely to Mary, body and soul, she, who is generous to the generous, and more generous than even the kindest benefactor, will in return give herself to you in a marvellous but real manner. Indeed you may without hesitation say to her, “I am yours, O Blessed Virgin, obtain salvation for me,” or with the beloved disciple, St. John, “I have taken you, Blessed Mother, for my all.” Or again you may say with St. Bonaventure, “Dear Mother of saving grace, I will do everything with confidence and without fear because you are my strength and my boast in the Lord,” or in another place, "I am all yours and all that I have is yours, O glorious Virgin, blessed above all created things. Let me place you as a seal upon my heart, for your love is as strong as death."

2. Every year at least, on the same date, they should renew the consecration following the same exercises for three weeks. They might also renew it every month or even every day by saying this short prayer: "I am all yours and all I have is yours, O dear Jesus, through Mary, your holy Mother."

Thanks,

It seems that giving yourself totally to Mary and giving yourself totally to Jesus through Marry are quite distinct ideas. With the confusion from your replies, it’s no wonder that the initial press articles were confused as well.

[quote=Maranatha]Thanks,

It seems that giving yourself totally to Mary and giving yourself totally to Jesus through Marry are quite distinct ideas.
[/quote]

Not really. Mary keeps nothing for herself and gives it all to her Son. If you give everything to Mary, she will give it to Him :slight_smile:

Which is why True Devotion to Mary is the perfect devotion to Christ–at least that’s what I got from reading St.Louis DeMonfort.

Just as an aside, if the person praying is a lady, then the words are “Tota Tua.”

DaveBj

[quote=DaveBj]Just as an aside, if the person praying is a lady, then the words are “Tota Tua.”

DaveBj
[/quote]

I think that’s:yup: right…

[quote=Verbum Caro]Maranatha and EENS,

Upon further reflection, and a glance through de Monfort’s work, I think that the phrase “totus tuus” admits of some ambiguity.

In fact my orginal post was somewhat ambiguous. It seems that de Monfort used the idea of “I am yours” with respect to both Jesus and to Mary. As well as stressing “to Jesus through Mary”, De Monfort did not hesitate to suggest we can also say to Mary “I am yours.” In fact, he seems to indicate that when we do so we imitate Christ.

What think you both?
VC
[/quote]

What a beautiful answer-I am reading through tears.

The Vatican has said the Popes last words were in Polish, as he prayed “Take me to the house of the Father.”

Similar to how the Cardinals announced his death, “he watches us from the house of the Father.” or something similar to that.

SANTO SUBITO!

[quote=Verbum Caro]Maranatha and EENS,

What think you both?
VC
[/quote]

That is where I got it from as well. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.