Touching statues

After and before Mass at my parish it’s common to see parishioner’s walk up to statues of Jesus and Mary and touch them. I was wondering what the general opinion is on this practice is and whether or not it’s a common practice in other parishes.

Sure. There’s a famous statue in St. Peter’s (of St. Peter, I think. It’s the last one on the right.) where people have been touching his foot for centuries–it’s the only part within armsreach.

The only problem you have to watch out for is what’s happened to his foot–over time it’s been worn away.

There are just people that are “touchies.”

I remember at my Catholic elementary school how the nuns would have us all line up and one at a time we’d kiss a statue of the baby Jesus’ feet. I know it was like 2nd or 3rd grade. I’m not sure why they had us do that. I think it was part of our first Communion mass. (maybe, I don’t really remember though.) Hmm. :hmmm:

In one of the churches in New Orleans there is a statue of the Blessed Mother in front of a painting of the Battle of New Orleans. It is a bronze statue and the feet of the BVM look like gold from being touched and kissed. The nuns in NO prayed for the city during the battle and promised to honor the BVM which they have done since 1815. Because of this, nuns (in habit) do not pay to ride public transportation in NO by law.

Our parish has a statue of the Sacred Heart of Christ in the Narthex. Our 18 month old noticed the wounds on the hands and announced "Jesus Boo Boo :frowning: ".

So ever since then, before Mass; we have brought her over to the statue to smooch Jesus’s boo boos.

Our parish has a statue of the Sacred Heart of Christ in the Narthex. Our 18 month old noticed the wounds on the hands and announced "Jesus Boo Boo :frowning: ".

So ever since then, before Mass; we have brought her over to the statue to smooch Jesus’s boo boos.

Come to Him as the little children do…

What a wonderful gift of concrete faith you have led your child/your child has led you to!

God Bless,
Maria

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.