Tourists trapped in small Montana town as government slimdown cuts off road access

Tourists in Cooke City, Montana are trapped after the access road that cuts through Yellowstone Park is closed due to the partial government shutdown.

According to the Bozeman Daily Chronicle, there are two ways out of the town: one that connects to a mountain pass closed due to snow, and one that crosses through the now-closed Yellowstone Park.

The park road from Gardiner, Montana to Silver Gate and Cooke City, is being kept open, but residents only—not tourists—have special passes to allow them through the locked gates.

“We’re trapped,” Bill Anderson told the Chronicle. “It’s nuts.” Anderson, of Wichita, Kan., is one about 15 tourists unable to leave Cooke City.

foxnews.com/travel/2013/10/07/tourists-trapped-in-small-montana-town-as-government-slimdown-cuts-off-road/?intcmp=HPBucket

:nope:
Incredible.

Wow. That is so incredibly sad and it angers me as well. How on earth are these people supposed to get groceries and other supplies if they need to restock?

[quote="Holly3278, post:2, topic:341911"]
Wow. That is so incredibly sad and it angers me as well. How on earth are these people supposed to get groceries and other supplies if they need to restock?

[/quote]

What happens whey they have to get back to work?

I can't imagine that the government will pay them.

[quote="maryjk, post:3, topic:341911"]
What happens whey they have to get back to work?

I can't imagine that the government will pay them.

[/quote]

I agree. I am just speculating here but I imagine they will have a very difficult time getting their bills paid and such.

[quote="maryjk, post:1, topic:341911"]
foxnews.com/travel/2013/10/07/tourists-trapped-in-small-montana-town-as-government-slimdown-cuts-off-road/?intcmp=HPBucket

:nope:
Incredible.

[/quote]

and they called their representative and haven't heard back from them. I would hope that them not hearing back is just because they either can't do anything or it just gets lots in the pile of calls they get. Not that they purposely ignore it for political reasons.

This headline may be filed under the topic of the banality of evil.

Wouldn’t they have a case for the government restricting their free right of travel without due process? I believe that’s guaranteed in some little document somewhere…

[quote="Monkey1976, post:7, topic:341911"]
Wouldn't they have a case for the government restricting their free right of travel without due process? I believe that's guaranteed in some little document somewhere...

[/quote]

Actually it's not in that sacred document anywhere* but it was established (elucidated?) by the Supreme Court in a civil rights case in the 60s. IIRC.

*I'm sure the Founders left a lot of things out of the Constitution & Bill of Rights because the Federal government would never even try to ---.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.