Tradictional Rosary Making Question: Crucifix or Cross?

Hello everyone! As usual, I’m not sure if the question is on the right place.

I’m starting to manufacture rosaries, and I was wondering if it’s mandatory that a full tradictional rosary has always a crucifix? Or can it have an empty cross with flowers as a symbol of the Resurection?

Thanks in advance and God Bless you all!
~ Alex

I have seen some with just a cross and a few flowers. I don’t think that is traditional though since nearly all rosaries have a crucifix. If you want flowers, there are the crucifixes of St. Thérèse.

Crucifix is best, although the rosary parts companies do sell Resurrection crosses and the Papal crosses. Only JPII’s had a corpus. Benedict’s had the 4 Evangelists, Francis’ has the Good Shepherd holding a lamb.

But a crucifix is always the most traditional. When I sell my rosaries, people seldom want one that does not have a crucifix.

Why don’t you try making a few both ways, and see which ones your market is attracted to? For me myself, I’d probably feel like my rosary was a bit empty without a corpus, but there’s nothing like good raw sales data to help you decide for yourself. :slight_smile:

That’s a good question it seems like in art I have seen St Dominic has a plain cross his rosary.

The Chotki which is older than the Rosary is just a plain cross usually made out of cord.

It probably really doesn’t matter.

This is JUST my opinion… but without the Corpus, a Rosary is just jewelry. Catholics are unique in Christendom in that we use a crucifix where others just have crosses.

This doesn’t mean there is not room for other opinions.

In this case, it’s more a case of fewer materials. The supply stores didn’t had nearly enough crucifixes [since the fashion now dictates you wear a cross with a cut-out representing Christ or other modern things, making tradictional crucifixes hard to find] for my needs, and I ended up bringing a few crosses in the middle, hense my question.

Can’t wait to find a way to go to Fatima and stock my box with better supplies than the ones found in Lisbon.

=SilverAvenger;13210984]Hello everyone! As usual, I’m not sure if the question is on the right place.

I’m starting to manufacture rosaries, and I was wondering if it’s mandatory that a full tradictional rosary has always a crucifix? Or can it have an empty cross with flowers as a symbol of the Resurection?

Thanks in advance and God Bless you all!
~ Alex

A CROSS:thumbsup:

We Catholics hold with Saint Paul:

Cf. Everything we teach is {based} Christ Crucified:

1st. Cor. 1:

“[21] For seeing that in the wisdom of God the world, by wisdom, knew not God, it pleased God, by the foolishness of our preaching, to save them that believe. [22] For both the Jews require signs, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: [23]*** But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews indeed a stumblingblock, and unto the Gentiles foolishness: [24] But unto them that are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. [25] For the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.” ***

This over-site IMO by non-catholic-christians is a primary cause for many of their salvation theories; all of which miss the mark of Christ Bible Teachings USING the entirety of His Bible.

The need and CHRIST expectations is for humanity to suffer and thereby have an opportunity to PROVE our Love and devotion to Him. Thus fulfilling the very reason for our existence:
Matthew 16:24**
Then Jesus said to his disciples: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Luke 9:23** And he said to all: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Isaiah 43: verses 7 & 21
[7] And every one that calleth upon my name, I have created him for my glory, I have formed him, and made him … [21] This people have I formed for myself, they shall shew forth my praise

God Bless you and thanks for asking,

Patrick [PJM]

Try these – they sell reproductions of Victorian and Edwardian Crucifixes and other period Rosary parts:

etsy.com/shop/sacredartjewelrycom

etsy.com/shop/CaritasDeiSupplies

Prices are reasonable, and the pieces are exquisite.

Thank you so much! They look amazing. The prices are a little expensive, though, considering those practiced here in Portugal. Maybe when I get a little more funds :slight_smile:

Thank you for these link! I found several nice nativity medals which could be used on Christmas novena beads. I haven’t seen anything like them anywhere. The members of the Forums are always a wealth of knowledge!

Disagree.

Those religious who wear a rosary as part of their habit (Dominicans, Capuchins, et cetera) often have a bare cross to remind each individual he must bear his cross.

tee

PS.
The corpus fell off of the cross of my personal favorite rosary, and I have continued to use it and not worry about it in this same spirit.

(Also because I have no hot glue or whatever skillz to re-place the mystery metal corpus onto the hematite cross)

:crossrc:
tee

I can not speak specifically to the expected discipline of crucifix only on Rosaries.

However for humble meditation, I present when I saw a devout Capuchin Franciscan postulant taking off the corpus on his soon to be habit rosary. I assume it was with his superior’s blessing.

Because beautifully he said (and I am paraphrasing here):
“… We mortify ourselves when praying the Rosary, we become closer to Jesus, we become the Corpus on The Cross. …”

Finally, I prefer a crucifix, as I am not yet so disciplined…

So, perhaps I should include the plane ones as well. Thank you, guys. You’re always a well of knolwege for those who are seeking. God Bless you.

Ah a topic after my own heart! I make rosaries to sell for funding rhe work my family do with the homeless at a market stall and craft fairs here in Ireland… Many and varied are my customers and I have learned to gently accommodate all . Many of my rosaries are wooden beads and all wood ie no metal. Folk can take them into eg radiotherapy and hold them Occasionally a Catholic will object to that as some here have done, BUT I tell them that we celebrate the Risen Christ and lead them to my bead rosaries. Which have the corpus. Mostly I use a rather lovely Celtic crucifix,… NB for supplies try Fire Mountain . They have a vast selection of crosses and crucifixes and beads also. A dear friend buys an order for me now and then… But if anyone asks me for PLASTIC again! Cheap nasty… I have a notice up that all my rosaries are made with lead free glass and olive wood. That Prayer is beautiful and so should a rosary be. To honour and bless… LOVE making them… itching to start again!

OOOOOHHH! I should follow youe example and make a few withought metal too!!!

Thanks for the supplies tip! I’m really needing that one! Can’t find any pretty crucifixes here in Lisbon!

There’s no ‘mandatory’ here. Some people might prefer crucifixes to crosses on their rosaries, but ultimately it’s just a matter of personal preference - not dogma or anything.

(Speaking of which, old rosaries - especially ones from the 16th-17th century - actually had both a crucifix or a medallion and a cross - the ‘Credo cross’. Some medieval rosaries did not even have a cross at all. For that matter, that short string of five extra beads ending with the cross you find in a rosary only first appeared during 15th-16th century and didn’t become common until the 18th-19th century. That’s how recent it is.)

wow! thanks man! I had no idea! And thanks for the links too. Helpfull :slight_smile:

When St. Francis and his first companions, Peter of Catanii and Bernardo Quintavalle, opened the Book of the Gospels three times, seeking direction for their new lives, they read, “If you wish to be perfect, sell what you have and give to the poor.” “Take nothing with you for the journey.” And, “Take up you cross and follow me.” Francis declared, "This is what we will do, and all who will come after us."
In the Capuchin tradition, I’m told, the plain cross on the habit rosary (the Capuchins call it a “side rosary”) reminds the friars to take up their cross and follow Him. There are no nail holes or blood stains; it’s the friar’s cross. I also heard that the bearer of the cross is expected to represent Christ to the world.
The Franciscan Friars of the Renewal was founded by eight New York Capuchin friars “desiring to work more definitively for personal and communal reform within the Catholic Church,” in the Capuchin tradition. Each friar makes his own side rosary. I don’t think I’ve seen anything but a plain “side cross” among the friars.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.