Tradition/tradition

How do we justify our pratice of “traditions” is pleasing to God or even not offending him to Protestants? I understand the “Sacred Traditions” can be rebuted in the scriptures. It is my understanding that Protestants rebute tradition and find Catholics guilty of the lower case tradition.

Of the Scriptural references to look to in terms of upholding Sacred Tradition:

1 Cor 11:2 hold fast to traditions I handed on to you
2 Thess 3:6 shun those acting not according to tradition

Also remember, that John wrote that not everything Jesus said was recorded (Jn 21:25).

The most important aspect of this discussion would be to remind our Protestant brethren that there was no Bible at the beginning of the Church. The Church, the bullwark of the Truth, is built upon Tradition, Apostolic Succession and guarded by the Holy Spirit against error. People were not handed a Bible when they joined the Church in the year 34 A.D., they were taught by Oral Tradition and through preachings of the Apostles and the designated priests and deacons of the early Church.

Another verse in support of Sacred Traditions:
So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter. (2 Thessalonians 2:15)

In addition to the quotes others have provided, I would ask these Protestants to show where the Trinity is mentioned in the Scriptures—they believe in the Trinity, yet the Scriptures do not mention the word—does that mean that the use of the term “Trinity” is an extra-Biblical tradition? Monogamy is a tradition that most Protestants adhere to, yet is without clear endorsement in Scripture. Protestants adhere to many extra-Biblical “traditions”, but they simply don’t realize it.

The Bible itself is a function of Sacred Tradition. Without Sacred Tradition, you have no consistent and intellectual way to authoritatively say that your Bible contains the correct books. Using the Bible to prove the Bible is begging the question; there must be some outside authority to decide (or recognise) what goes into the Bible, and what does not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.