Tradition

In defending church authority what Biblical references are there reguarding the Church’s use of tradition? I need help in better defining tradition in reference to Church authority, i.e. difference of Sacred tradition, Oral tradition, etc; I also need help in better understanding the commom misconceptions of non-Catholics in referencing tradition as wrong.

Thank you for any assistance available in this matter.

ORAL APOSTOLIC TRADITION
scripturecatholic.com/oral_tradition.html

**I.
The Apostolic Tradition
75 **
“Christ the Lord, in whom the entire Revelation of the most high God is summed up, commanded the apostles to preach the Gospel, which had been promised beforehand by the prophets, and which he fulfilled in his own person and promulgated with his own lips. In preaching the Gospel, they were to communicate the gifts of God to all men. This Gospel was to be the source of all saving truth and moral discipline.”

The Catechism of the Catholic Church
usccb.org/catechism/text/pt1sect1chpt2.htm#art2
. . . continued in apostolic succession**
**78 **
This living transmission, accomplished in the Holy Spirit, is called Tradition, since it is distinct from Sacred Scripture, though closely connected to it. Through Tradition, "the Church, in her doctrine, life, and worship perpetuates and transmits to every generation all that she herself is, all that she believes."37 "The sayings of the holy Fathers are a witness to the life-giving presence of this Tradition, showing how its riches are poured out in the practice and life of the Church, in her belief and her prayer."38

usccb.org/catechism/text/pt1sect1chpt2.htm#78

**84 **
The apostles entrusted the “Sacred deposit” of the faith (the depositum fidei),45 contained in Sacred Scripture and Tradition, to the whole of the Church. "By adhering to [this heritage] the entire holy people, united to its pastors, remains always faithful to the teaching of the apostles, to the brotherhood, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. So, in maintaining, practicing, and professing the faith that has been handed on, there should be a remarkable harmony between the bishops and the faithful."46

usccb.org/catechism/text/pt1sect1chpt2.htm#84

II. The Language of Faith

**171 **
The Church, “the pillar and bulwark of the truth,” faithfully guards “the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.” She guards the memory of Christ’s words; it is she who from generation to generation hands on the apostles’ confession of faith.57 As a mother who teaches her children to speak and so to understand and communicate, the Church our Mother teaches us the LANGUAGE of faith in order to introduce us to the understanding and the life of faith.

usccb.org/catechism/text/pt1sect1chpt3.htm#171

Mark 16:15

15And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

Hope this helps;)

I’d start with Chapter 15 of Acts. This chapter, though we receive it now as writing, was, to the people at the Council of Jerusalem, an oral teaching to the people. Furthermore, it is an oral authority that overturned our obligation to a scriptural law (circumcision). The earlist Christians did not believe in scripture alone, or the Council of Jerusalem could never have taken place, but for the oral authority of the Church as pillar and foundation of truth 1 Tim 3:15.

1 Corinthians 11:2
Now I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold firmly to the traditions, just as I delivered them to you.

2 Thessalonians 2:15
So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.

2 Thessalonians 3:6
Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from every brother who leads an unruly life and not according to the tradition which you received from us.

1 Cor 11:2
2 Thess 2:15
2 Thess 3:6
Jn 21:25
Mk 13:31
Acts 20:35
2 Tim 1:13
2 Tim 2:2
2 Pet 1:20
2 Pet 3:15-16
1 Pet 1:25
Rom 10:17
1 Cor 15:1-2
Mk 16:15
Mt 23:2-3
God bless.

A helpful article on the subject:

bringyou.to/apologetics/a23.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.