Tradition ?

Can anyone access for me what the Church teaches beyond what is spoken in the CCC, what I want to know? is concrete examples of Tradition! (that were passed on) , an example to myself would say: Tradition brought forth Sacred Scripture, and the letter (writings) came second. Do our Priest carriy words passed through their ministry, that would be consider Traditon…More examples please??? “thanks” Deo Gracious+++:juggle:

Well I highly suggest reading the writings of Thomas Aquinas, Augustine, Ambrose, and Cyprian and many others.

Hebrew traditions that are now our Catholic traditions, for example vestments, days of fasting and repentance. There is literature about the Jewish traditions and our Catholic ones. Of course it is much deeper than traditions between the old and the new. When it comes to the conversion of the world’s people, traditions about celebrations are added.

I would say that those Doctrines and Dogmas that the Church holds are part of Sacred Tradition. They were either passed down from the Apostles or are found or have their basis in Sacred Scripture. An example is the Trinity. The word itself is not found in Scripture, but Scripture teaches it. The Trinity is part of Sacred Tradition. Some things were universally held to be true by the Church, but were not defined at first because there was no challenge to them, but when challenges to them arose, they needed to be defined. The hypostatic union of Christ’s Divine and Human natures is an example.

But these examples are covered in the CCC. I don’t know of anything that is not covered. Some people may confuse Sacred Tradition with tradition, practices and pieties that have been around for a very long time, but can be changed, such as priestly celibacy in the Latin Church.

I highly recommend a book by Greg Dues, “Catholic Customs & Traditions”. It’s not very expensive, and can be bought used from Amazon.com reasonably.

He covers just about everything. I just read about the Easter bunny, which can be traced back several hundred years to some vague Germanic legends, and never had any religious meaning. :cool:

I hope this helps you.

… my dear friend …

… the biggest tradition is the day of resurrection - sunday , the sabbath was saturday but because jesus rose on a sunday the apostles changed the sabath to sunday - apostolic tradition is very real , others have given you some reading if your really interested , man made traditions have crept in - its the apostolic ones that are the truly required ones too , man made in that man makes multiple infinite systems of laws and rules for everything and anything - insanity if you ask me , but fallen man does this and can’t help it - it results in man made traditions — not all are bad though , i’m not saying that at all …

… god bless you :thumbsup::slight_smile:

… john …

Hi God sent,
It is worth researching the customs, institutions, and practices that express the Christian Faith. For example, there are definite days of fasting and abstinence. There are also Holy Days of Obligation; as well as Corporal and Spiritual works of Mercy.
God Bless,
Colmcille.

Thanks for all the help, yes I have read some writings that expound what has thus been spoken, though I wish I had time to consume greater knowledge of our great Saints. No lightening bolts, ("big surprises) :), Sacred Tradition is indeed self evident to cradle Catholic’s as myself, but explaining it…to non-Catholic’s:rolleyes: Deo Gracious

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.