Tradition

Why wasn’t Sacred Tradition written down and put in the bible?

Acts of the Apostles IS church tradition in the bible. The same is true of the epistles.

Tradition is a largely interpretive force, Montie. I’m oversimplifying it, but think of the relationship between the Bible and Tradition like that of a book of baseball rules and a good coach. A book of rules tells that one must hit the ball and run the bases. A good coach tells you how to choke up on the bat, keep your eye on the ball, lead off from first, read signs, steal third, slide.

One could ask, why weren’t all those things written down in the book or baseball rules. But to anyone whose played some ball in his life, that question would seem kind of silly.

Other reason all the Tradition wasn’t written in the Bible - God planned it that way - he can do it how he wants, and from my perspective, I think he made a wise choice.

[quote=Montie Claunch]Why wasn’t Sacred Tradition written down and put in the bible?
[/quote]

the OT was oral tradition before it was written down, the NT was oral testimony of the apostles and witnesses to Christ’s life and actions before the Gospels & Acts were written down, which is why Paul in his letters enjoins his followers to hold fast to the traditions. Most of his letters were written before all the Gospels were put into writing. Everything Christ said and did was not written down, because as John tells us, there would not be books enough in the world to contain it all.

But, why not put down the essense of the doctrines down so people (i.e. protestants who go by sola scriptora) wouldn’t go without (scince they couldn’t use the argument that it wasn’t in the bible.

[quote=Montie Claunch]But, why not put down the essense of the doctrines down so people (i.e. protestants who go by sola scriptora) wouldn’t go without (scince they couldn’t use the argument that it wasn’t in the bible.
[/quote]

For the same reason that Christ doesn’t walk among us in the flesh today - no matter how much we think it’s necessary at this time in history or how bad we would want to see Him in the flesh.

God sent Him already - just like the story of the rich Lazarus and the begger. Rich Lazarus begs God to send him back to warn his family to do as God says and to obey the commandments so they won’t be sent to hell. God says He’s already sent plenty of people to teach them His ways and if they didn’t believe them then why would Lazarus think they would believe him if he went back now?

God has already sent His Son to teach us and God has already sent out His representatives after Christ ascended. Those representatives are here to teach the truth to all people. We are to listen to the ones that God sent out - no matter how they teach, whether by word of mouth or by a book. God has spoken and does speak through His designated representatives. We get the “essence” of the doctrines through them.

[quote=Montie Claunch]But, why not put down the essense of the doctrines down so people (i.e. protestants who go by sola scriptora) wouldn’t go without (scince they couldn’t use the argument that it wasn’t in the bible.
[/quote]

I don’t think anyone but God foresaw that someone would introduce the idea of sola scriptura. Sola scriptura doesn’t stand up to examination, and I think God wants us to examine our faith and not just follow “whims of teaching.” Anyway, you could also ask why God doesn’t perform miracles and signs and wonders every day to convince people to become Christians.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.