Traditional Books

Ok what in your opinion are must read/have books for the traditional Catholic? I am a bookworm to no end, even if it is something obscure, I’ll read it.:smiley:

I would recommend Pope Benedict’s The Spirit of the Liturgy. It reveals then Cardinal Ratzinger’s opinion on several issues, including worship ad orientem and a silent canon.

If you are looking for a history of the Second Vatican Council, I would suggest The Rhine Flows into the Tiber by Father Ralph M. Wiltgen S.V.D. I am in the process of reading it right now and am certainly enjoying it. It presents a fair and unbiased account of the proceedings of the Council.

The latest book that I finished reading is the Confessions of St. Augustine.
You may like St. Teresa of Lisieux Story of A Soul and St. Teresa of Avila’s Interior Castle.
The Imitation of Christ was St. Teresa of Lisieux’s favorite book.
I’ve also read The Autobiography of St. Ignatius and the Little Flowers of St. Francis.
Many saints read lives of the saints along with Scripture. This is just a beginning. There is a myriad of books you will find helpful along your journey.

The Little Catechism of the Cure of Ars :slight_smile:

Way of Divine Love by Sr Josefa Menendez

Divine Mercy in My Soul by St Faustina

Story of a Soul by St Therese

Secret of the Rosary by St Louis de Montfort

True Devotion to Mary by St Louis de Montfort

Imitation of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

I hate to be cheeky, but…

The Holy Gospel according to St. Matthew
The Holy Gospel according to St. Mark
The Holy Gospel according to St. Luke
Acts of the Apostles
The Holy Gospel according to St. John
The Major prophets
The Minor prophets
The Books of Moses

:smiley: That should keep you going for a year or so!

At a rate of 3 chapters a day (+ 5 on Sunday), you can read the entire Bible in one year. Time commitment approx. 15 minutes per day.

In the spirit of the above recent posts, I would recommend A Catholic Guide to the Bible from Catholic Home Study Service.

I have that already :smiley: and I have read the Bible completely through before. lol But it doesn’t stop me from doing it again.

I’ve read the Bible from cover to cover several times. You might even want to read the various translations, one per year.
Not all of us can attend daily Mass, but that along with praying the Liturgy of the Hours, is one way to read and/or listen to Scripture.

Anything published by TAN Books.

You might even be able to save money by finding these books in used book stores.
Does your parish have a library where you can check out books?

You might like the Enchiridion on Faith, Hope, and Love. by St. Augustine.
An enchiridion is a handbook or manual. In the same light, Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales is on my own list of books to read.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.