Traditional Catholic Wall Crucifix

Would you all consider this a Traditional Catholic Wall Crucifix. And any history on this style. I kind of like it. It looks Medieval.

img223.imageshack.us/img223/426/12462lgdz3.jpg

An interesting depiction. The intent appears to be to show Christ in all three of his roles - King (hence the crown) Priest (the robes appear to be those of a priest) and Sacrifice (since he’s being crucified).

I’ve never seen a depiction like it, so in that sense I would call it ‘untraditional’. It’s different entirely from the common ‘Resurrection Crucifix’ (where Christ is depicted in glory with the cross - but always in white robes and not attached to the Cross).

There doesn’t seem to be anything theologically or otherwise wrong with it.

I don’t know - but it is very beautiful. Where’s it from? If they sell them online I might consider getting one :wink:

Catholig

It’s not cheap.
catholiccompany.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=6864
or
aquinasandmore.com/index.cfm/title/Christ-the-King-Crucifix/FuseAction/store.ItemDetails/SKU/12462/index.htm

I wouldn’t say that this is a traditional crucifix. I am not aware of any medieval crucifix in which Our Lord is depicted in this manner. This is almost certainly post-V II. Unless I am badly mistaken, this kind of imagery did not exist prior to 1965.

I would consider this a version of a “Christus Rex” crucifix, in which reminds us that Christ has died (cross), Christ is risen (depicted as alive, in priestly garb) and Christ will come again (as king, note the crown). I think they are popular in Anglican churches. Isn’t there a requirement that Catholic churches have a crucifix that depicts the five wounds of Christ?

The Cross is similar to a picture used in 1962 Missals - e.g. Angelus Press. I’d give it my approval.

The crucifix does depict Our Lord’s wounds, not that they’re very prominent.

My Baronius Press 1962 Missal has the same picture. Baronius Press is British. Which Missal was published first, Baronius or Angelus? Perhaps the design is British in origin.
My Baronius Missal has the wording under the picture “GLORY, PRAISE AND HONOUR TO THEE, O KING, CHRIST, THE REDEEMER”. The British spelling is used. The next page also says “WITH SUPPLIEMENTS CONTAINING THE ADDITIONAL MASSES FOR ENGLAND AND WALES, SCOTLAND AND THE UNITED STATES”.

Actually the “traditional” crucifixes that were in the reredos above the Tabernacle or on the wall above the Tabernacle and the corpus was not as shown here in this forum. They were rather small from seeing the older churches that still have their reredos intact.

However, I have never seen a more beautiful expression of Jesus Christ Crucified than at my parish. I am sure you will all agree that this image is unique and definitely is in response to the removal of the crucifixes from the churches and replacing them with an image of the risen Lord.

I’ve seen that type of crucifix before, just can’t think of where. Spanish, maybe?

Many years ago, back in the 70s, I was in the Navy and I spent a month in Spain. I have never seen more authentic crucifixes in my life. To behold a medieval Spanish crucifix is to look upon the suffering of Our Lord in an entirely different light. Let me assure you that the overwhelming majority of crucifixes here in the US are sanitized. When one observes a medieval crucifix, one can see the full suffering of Our Lord - often in great detail.

Side note: I have my wife’s 1959 St. Joseph’s Missal and my own 1962 St. Joseph’s Missal. Neither Missal has an image of Our Lord as in the Baronius or Angelus Missals. The frontispiece of each Missal is a traditional crucifixion.

I really have to question if the Baronius or Angelus frontispiece is authentic to 1962.

Do you know if the medieval Spanish crucifixes are pictured anywhere online?

I don’t know, but it does look very British.

I like it.

And I was glad Eddie came up with that frontpiece, because I KNEW I saw that Christ someplace else before this!!! Now, if could just find a depiction of the devil in green and purple, my childhood memories will be validated.

I have that same picture in the front of my Marian Missal that was printed in 1955, so it’s definitely been around for a while. :slight_smile:

Do you know the country of origin?

The page opposite the picture reads:

The New Marian Missal for Daily Mass
by Sylvester P. Juergens, S.M.
Doctor of Sacred Theology

Publishers
Regina Press
New York

…and in very tiny writing it says “Made in Belgium”

It has 2 imprimaturs:

Francis Cardinal Spellman, Archbishop of New York
Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, 1950

L. Suenens, vic. gen.
Mechliniae, die 15 Maii 1955

It originally sold for $2.75 - the pencilled amount is still on one of the pages. It’s something I got via e-Bay.

Jen :slight_smile:

The 2 imprimaturs make sense. The publishers were from New York, so they had an American bishop give the imprimatur. The actual printing was in Belgium, so they had a Belgian bishop, Leon Jozef Suenens, give the imprimatur.

Our NO parish has no traditional crucifix behind the altar. It has a nearly life size Risen Christ on the cross. I believe I have only seen the wounds in His hand and feet carved into it.
The processional crucifix is traditional.
We also do not have but two candles.
I know it’s not the way it should be. And I don’t know what could be done about it.
But it’s a wonderful parish full of life and spirit.
stjohn-catholic.org/
stjohn-catholic.org/Images/2007%20January%20Parish%20Photos/pages/P1143452_edited.html

I think only two candles are required.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.