Traditional Catholicism is Winning

From the Wall Street Journal.

online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303772904577335290865863450.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Peace,
Ed

Encouraging, but would stemming the tide be more accurate? I'm sorry if my response is more guarded.

For some reason I got this picture in my mind of George W. Bush and "Mission Accomplished" (which was better than Charlie Sheehan and his "winning").

Let's pray for more vocations of all types.

Good! i am still in high school but i want to be a priest with all my heart soul and mind and i am finding other potential candidates, including my brother! i want to celebrate the mass in the latin form too, be more traditional, and wear the cassock, you know... Pray for me and my brother's vocation please and for me to have more faith!:D

The Article is flawed on facts.

Boston's Cardinal Sean Patrick O'Malley recently told the National Catholic Register that when he arrived in 2003 to lead that archdiocese he was advised to close the seminary. Now there are 70 men in Boston studying to be priests, and the seminary has had to turn away candidates for lack of space.

This is because St. John's Seminary in Brighten MA, is now a regional seminary for all of New England, where it was originally the seminary for the Archdioceses of Boston.

In other words, seminaries elsewhere in New England, closed and those dioceses now send seminarian candidates to St. Johns in Boston.

Also, when Cardinal O'Malley arrived in 2003, the Seminary was the center of the sexual abuse by priest in the Archdiocese. It had a gay culture and it was advised to shut it down because of the stigma attached to it.

My guess the same is true in the rest of the nation. There isn't an increase in men seeking the priesthood, based on seminary numbers.

BTW, the article is rather old.

Jim

:rotfl: the same thought ran through my mind when I saw the title of this thread

The Church is winning, not just one particular group.

BTW - a slightly dated article, but relevant nonetheless. I truly do hate to be cynical, but vocations often increase in times of socio-economic instability. While I do think that the Church, increasingly and effectively preaching a message of continuity of faith and tradition, is having a positive effect, one must consider that some of this is due to the world around us. The good news is that it does to an extent reflect a rejection of the worldly, and represents as the article states a bit of a countercultural movement in favor of the Church. A long time coming ...

This is certainly good to know. Maybe we will see a revival of traditional morality and religion during my life time. Somehow I doubt it but its always possible.

lalalalalalalalalalalalaaa We've discussed this article before.

[quote="agnes_therese, post:6, topic:292896"]
The Church is winning, not just one particular group.

[/quote]

Yes, nicely put. The Church isn't about the Hatfields vs. the McCoys, as much as some Traditionalists would like to see it so.

Great article. Thanks for posting it, Ed. :thumbsup:

You're welcome,

Ed

[quote="ByzCathCantor, post:7, topic:292896"]
BTW - a slightly dated article, but relevant nonetheless. I truly do hate to be cynical, but vocations often increase in times of socio-economic instability. While I do think that the Church, increasingly and effectively preaching a message of continuity of faith and tradition, is having a positive effect, one must consider that some of this is due to the world around us. The good news is that it does to an extent reflect a rejection of the worldly, and represents as the article states a bit of a countercultural movement in favor of the Church. A long time coming ...

[/quote]

I beg to differ. I have a young friend who is going to be a nun. She says that the young people are all turning to the tradition and she has many young friends that want to be priests and nuns. She told me that when they become nuns they are going to walk all over the city in the long traditional habits to give witness to the people:) I can't wait!

Good news

From the article:

The number of American Catholics has grown to 77.7 million, up from 50 million in 1980

:thumbsup:

I note the article is not speaking of traditional catholicism the way it is used here at CAF, but means rather a faithful and orthodox catholicism.

[quote="onmyknees, post:13, topic:292896"]
I beg to differ. I have a young friend who is going to be a nun. She says that the young people are all turning to the tradition and she has many young friends that want to be priests and nuns. She told me that when they become nuns they are going to walk all over the city in the long traditional habits to give witness to the people:) I can't wait!

[/quote]

Fair enough, although I did try to be balanced in bringing out that point. No one doubts the sincerity of God's calling and those who accept it. Indeed, many are called, yet few are chosen. The chosen ones accept after periods of discernment that are both spiritual and temporal, as one must decided (to quote a Byzantine Hymn) to "set aside all earthly cares" in order to fully commit to a vocation. For some, it is easier than others. Not everyone is born a saint, with an innate disposition to focus of love of God first and foremost. Even monastics will tell you that they strive over a lifetime to achieve that level of inner peace and connection to our Lord.

We’ll have to wait to see if that young woman’s expectation comes true. Right now, I don’t think it will.

The only nuns I know who wear traditional habits are cloistered.

So if your friend becomes a nun wearing a traditional habit, she’ll more than likely rarely see the sites of a city away from her cloister.

Jim

[quote="pnewton, post:15, topic:292896"]
I note the article is not speaking of traditional catholicism the way it is used here at CAF, but means rather a faithful and orthodox catholicism.

[/quote]

In the media sphere, traditional Catholics are basically those who don't act like mainstream protestants.

[quote="JimR-OCDS, post:18, topic:292896"]
The only nuns I know who wear traditional habits are cloistered.

So if your friend becomes a nun wearing a traditional habit, she'll more than likely rarely see the sites of a city away from her cloister.

Jim

[/quote]

That's probably an issue of your location. Nuns/sisters (someone posted elsewhere that "nun" refers to cloistered, "sister" non-cloistered?) in traditional habits are definitely on the increase. The Dominicans Oprah featured on her shoe are not cloistered, and a friend from my parish joined a non-cloistered Fransiscan order that wears traditional habits.

Out priest (and two priests ago, and a local priest in Oregon who is now assigned to Rome) often wear cassocks and occasionally berettas (sp?).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.